IGNORED

Your First Match and Who Took You

Rich

8 hours ago, Old Rascal said:

October 71 for me so 50 years this year! Vs Orient, 0-3 down at half time, won 5-3.

One of my top ten memories of watching City...Always thought it was 1-3 at Half time though.

• Admin

I don’t remember the date or game of my first match, the earliest programme I had was 67, but I think I may have been taken before that.  Had a couple of years where I haven’t gone, when motorbikes, parties, women and latterly fishing have taken precedence, but did have a season ticket for 26 years which I didn’t renew in the SoD era.

I think you already know, neighbour, but for everyone else..

For me it's been an acquired disease rather than a heredity one.  I moved into a shared house in Totterdown during the Euros in 1990.  One of lads that lived there already has a bad dose of Cityitis and almost certainly I picked it up from him.  A combination of fatigue from walking to AG, an immune system weakened by copious pints of cider en route, and prolonged exposure on away trips left me very susceptible to infection.   The initial symptoms of euphoria and unpredictable feelings of joy quickly faded and I've been struggling with the common sides effects of moodiness, a sense of hopelessness and general apathy ever since.  I have been prescribed some rose-tinted spectacles but these only seem to work in the summer months. By early September the side effect are back with avengence.  In good years I can be symptom free until Christmas but things always tend to go downhill in January.   I've been told it's not terminal, but it is lifelong condition that I will need to learn to manage somehow.  Trying not to look too far ahead - no good comes of that does it? - and just taking it one transfer window at a time these days.

44 years man and boy

image.png.87db306f43da3756082013e18a7f83f8.png

This was the first of a string of late results that culminated in the infamous Coventry game keeping us up. We won with a Peter Cormack penalty, Chris Garland scored the original "Hand of God" goal but it was disallowed.

I was stood in the Enclosure lifting myself up on the railings by the East End to get a better view. I've still got the program somewhere with the results to the end of the season scribbled in in biro.

image.png.d931dbeedef7b1a1182e59f3c51ffd05.png

Hooked.

CTID

image.png

1967 - aged 12. Went with the dad of a schoolboy friend with two other lads. Can’t remember much about the day other than coke a cola and sweets!  For years I couldn’t remember who it was against but I eventually looked it up. It was a 0-0 draw against Oxford - no wonder I couldn’t remember much!

After that we went to AG pretty much every game.

43 minutes ago, Sir Geoff said:

First game of the 70/71 season  Sunderland H 4-3 win.

Mine too, well the first I was allowed to on my own. My Dad was more the other side, but went to both. I think he took me earlier but I don't remember,  or can't separate the early games from the later. 
This one stands out as, as I said , first game without adults, first games on the East End. I already knew the songs from the lads that lived near and were older, so I was very excited. Another reason it stands out is the chaos that greeted me. Sunderland in the middle of the EE. I couldn't understand why they were there, judging by the mob that steamed into them neither could the other City lads. Not only that, as they walked across the pitch to the open end, there were lads running onto the pitch from the sides to, um , help them on their way. Being 9 or 10 and just to the side of the main mob, I'm not sure I saw any of the 7 goals that day.
Funny enough the same game the following year, as we stood by the old turnstiles waiting for them to open, Sunderland got chased through the carpark. One skinhead was grabbed, slammed against the wooden door next to us and head butted so hard the door gave way a little. The lad turned around and puked his guts up, away from us I'm pleased to say. Ahhh the 70's.

Home to Bury 1967 , score 3-3 stood in the East End . My dad said he would take me up too see the Rovers - but turned out they were away so we went to Ashton Gate instead - can't imagine what life would have been like if that had'nt happened ! Second game City v Rovers 1968 FA cup  3rd round - dad cheering the gas  - me  City !

Spurs semi final at AG in 1970, with a few young friends, is the first game I can remember. Couldn't believe a place like the East End, with such a fantastic atmosphere, existed, or what I'd been missing.

Haven't missed a season since.

Don't think today's AG, or my first visit being stuck up in the Upper Lansdown with a parent/chaperone, would have got me hooked in the same way, but that's another story.

1st game of the 1958-59 season , my Dad took his usual place with friends and family after setting me up on my orange box with my city rattle on the fence just to the left of the goal at the Eastend , that day City beat Rotherham ( Div 2 ) 6-1 and I was hooked . City’s next game was away to Burnley ( obviously never went ) but they won that 4-7 !! Still that passionate today !!! Win or lose CTID !!

10 hours ago, Gazred said:

Almost the same for me. Same age, that was my second game.

Went to what i think was a pre season game, that same season. Struggling with the oppenent though. Possibly Bath City.

The memories fade.

How mad is that. My family was given tickets for the City v Bath game in the Cup at Ashton Gate. We knew Dave Payne who I think was the Bath city captain at the time.

The game was Dec 1986 and we drew 1-1. This was my second game but first at Ashton Gate 

2 hours ago, Sir Geoff said:

One of my top ten memories of watching City...Always thought it was 1-3 at Half time though.

May well have been 1-3, I had just turned 8 and a lot of cider has flowed since then!  I remember we were being well beaten in the first half and want to remember John Galley coming on for the second half? The atmosphere and the crowd was electrifying and I was hooked.

3 minutes ago, RedDwarf said:

1974 I think ? 

Got a feeling we were home against Norwich or Millwall. 
The memory is not so good nowadays ! 

26th of Feb. '74 we beat Millwall 5-2, midweek afternoon game during the power crisis.

You'd remember if that was your first game surely!

First game at Aston Gate was an u23 international v Germany ? I thought Chris Garland was an unused sub, but looking at his record that appears to be wrong. 
First city game 2-0 win over QPR. My memory of this game was that Stanley Bowles had been in the Sunday papers because his wife had walked out on him. The East End were singing ‘Stanley where’s your wife’ and he walked up to them and shrugged his shoulders.

Archived