IGNORED

Your First Match and Who Took You

Rich

One thing that comes across strongly is that the majority of contributors to this board are long-standing City fans of 20, 30, 40, 50 or more years experience.

So often we are told that the club shouldn’t listen to a minority of “weekend keyboard warriors” who do not know what they are talking about, whereas the reality is that those who post on here are  primarily long-standing supporters who genuinely have the best interests of the club at heart.

Earliest vague memories of watching Combination reserve team games in 1958/59 season against the likes of Chelsea, Spurs and Arsenal. Unfortunately, the earliest 1st team recollection is the home defeat (0 - 5) against Aston Villa in November 1959, a season which ended in relegation !

I've just asked my Dad as he is responsible for taking me to my first game, being born as he was on Coronation Road, and this is his reply -

'not exactly sure, some time in the 50's with my Dad, the earliest game that stands out a Boxing Day match i think, we lost badly, the team looked drunk, goalkeeper Cook and Ivor Guy at right back'

(and my Dad has renewed his ST for this season!)

1 hour ago, Waffleflap said:

How mad is that. My family was given tickets for the City v Bath game in the Cup at Ashton Gate. We knew Dave Payne who I think was the Bath city captain at the time.

The game was Dec 1986 and we drew 1-1. This was my second game but first at Ashton Gate 

I think i must have it the wrong way around then. Was sure that Bath gane was before.  It's all a blur. I'll bow to your better memory!

Umcanny though, both those two games being our first experiences.

13 minutes ago, JackofromSanJavier said:

Was that the Norwich game where Justin Fashanu head butted David Rogers……..and maybe stayed on the pitch??

12 minutes ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

26th of Feb. '74 we beat Millwall 5-2, midweek afternoon game during the power crisis.

You'd remember if that was your first game surely!

I went up by train so must have been a weekend + I wasn’t sure where the ground was,so by the time I walked there I had missed the first half. ?

Just remember it got tasty after the game. 
(New poster so just feeling my way here)

I probably wouldn't remember this if it wasn't for it being the day of The Hillsborough Disaster. 

Lost 2-1 to Blackpool.

Returned home to find my mum in tears as she just assumed that me, my brother and my Dad were at the game that was on TV.

First match was boxing day 1952/1953 season we won 5 nil if my memory serves me right. Watched the band march down Bedminster road then off to football with my grandad uncle a father, think the side we played was Southend. remember a guy playing called Rogers and a German guy, I think Rogers was the father of David Rogers who played center half for us in later years. both very physical players what we could do with now.

1 hour ago, Waffleflap said:

How mad is that. My family was given tickets for the City v Bath game in the Cup at Ashton Gate. We knew Dave Payne who I think was the Bath city captain at the time.

The game was Dec 1986 and we drew 1-1. This was my second game but first at Ashton Gate 

What a good player he was.  I played with him at Brislington, can only imagine how good he must’ve been in his pomp.  Very funny bloke too.

First game was Sat 25th August 1984 in the Dolman vs Wigan. A 2-0 victory on a sunny day with my Dad and Grandad.

I am pretty sure that Tom Ritchie and Glyn Riley scored that day.

My Dad and Grandad were always in the East End but thought I would be best in the Dolman at my age then.

Was not long until we were all in the East End and I watched games being held up perched on a terrace pole!

Funny but its those games I watched in my younger days I remember more, they were magical almost, can remember the smell of the turf and the constant noise and characters/voices around at the time, specifically: 1988, Doncaster 1-0 (Colin Gordon), & Sheffield Utd in the play-offs, pretty much every home game in the 89/90 season, Blackburn in the 90/91 season, Porstmouth in 92… loads more…..

Shortly after these I played most Saturdays so there was a gap which may explain my memories being loaded that way, but what atmospheres and times they truly were.

Nostalgia eh! It ain’t what is used to be!

I can't remember the date (1953/4?) but the first that comes to mind was a 4-2 (4-3?) home defeat to the Gas. Was it in the FA cup? I'm sure the Geoff Bradford goal was offside though. My father and grandfather took me, left me at the front by the railings, and stood at the back corner of the East End. My grandfather has followed the City since about 1900 and remembered them at St Johns Lane.

Best memory was being at Elland Road in the great cup win - afternoon match 'cause of the three-day week (ask your dad) and standing alone in a host of Leeds supporters.

My 1st game Grimsby 4-0   2nd game Oldham 2-0  promotion game 1965 . I was taken with my friend and his dad to the game. We walked from Knowle down Novers hill, to winterstoke rd to the game and walked back up after. Hooked for life. 

Aldershot 1983 at home, think we won 2-0 / 2-1, Riley probably scored.

My City upbringing was pretty much identical as @TomThumb84describes above. 

Watching down the front of the East End and generally not having a clue what was going on down the other end of the pitch ! 

23 minutes ago, Atyeo's lift said:

I can't remember the date (1953/4?) but the first that comes to mind was a 4-2 (4-3?) home defeat to the Gas. Was it in the FA cup? I'm sure the Geoff Bradford goal was offside though. My father and grandfather took me, left me at the front by the railings, and stood at the back corner of the East End. My grandfather has followed the City since about 1900 and remembered them at St Johns Lane.

Best memory was being at Elland Road in the great cup win - afternoon match 'cause of the three-day week (ask your dad) and standing alone in a host of Leeds supporters.

Yep, Same for me as a 15 year old with my slightly older brother.

We didn't celebrate the goal, or even speak until we were well away from the ground!

Most threatening, hostile atmosphere I've ever been in.

Half hoping someone can help, I have feint recollection of a pre-season friendly(I think?) v Man City. I was sat in the Atyeo, I would have been 5 or 6 years old, possibly 2000? My Dad bought me a white away kit that I still have in the loft.

Don't recall many goals if any. Maybe 1-0 or 0-0.

So 21 years I guess!

Since the early 60’s. My dad was a steward for 40+ years so he took me as a young ‘un.

I remember sitting from about mid day onwards with a pencil and bit of paper copying the advertising banners around the ground trying to kill the three hours before kick off and contain my excitement.

3 hours ago, Lichfield eastend said:

1st game of the 1958-59 season , my Dad took his usual place with friends and family after setting me up on my orange box with my city rattle on the fence just to the left of the goal at the Eastend , that day City beat Rotherham ( Div 2 ) 6-1 and I was hooked . City’s next game was away to Burnley ( obviously never went ) but they won that 4-7 !! Still that passionate today !!! Win or lose CTID !!

That’s as many shots on target in 2 games as we managed since Christmas last season!

Think you peaked too soon with those first 2 games.  :)

Towards the end for the 87/88 season for me v Doncaster and I was 10. Dad hated football but luckily some of his friends took me to games occasionally at City as well as Villa (as they were actually Villa fans),  and dad would sometimes take me for a treat - including the semi v Forest and some random cup game vs Rovers away at Twerton in what I guess would now be the JPT? Think it must’ve been the same season.  All I remember is it was lashing it down and we were stood next to a middle aged woman screaming at the Rovers fans about them not having their own ground. Weird what you remember! 

Archived