IGNORED

Your First Match and Who Took You

Rich

Moved to Somerset (Sandford) 1968 as a Leeds fan, after a couple of years sojourn oop North.

Started going to see City, as they were close and gradually got sucked in. First game I remember is against Swindon with Don Rogers - who had become famous by beating Arsenal and winning the League Cup.

So, about 52 years, on and off, attending Ashton Gate. And I’ve never lived in Bristol!

1974/1975 season, year before we got promoted, went once was hooked from then, been season ticket holder since then, still go away when I can, usually the furthest away games, make a weekend of it, always loved going away, more so than home games, gets difficult as we get older though and health deteriorates ? seen lots of good and bad in that time, remember going to every game home and away game when we got promoted to Div 1 (now premiership), some very interesting days, travelling on trains and getting battered most games by the home fans. ?

2 hours ago, The Dolman Pragmatist said:

Pretty much the same for me, and that game lives long in the memory.  Do you also remember the testimonial against Leeds United the following season, with the Jules Rimet trophy carried round the ground?

Lost 4-2, Jimmy Greenhof on as a "kid" was amazing , tore us apart second half !

1 hour ago, Mihai said:

Unfortunately I can not call myself a supporter ( as someone said that to me on this forum ) . I am just a "fan" . A pretty long-serving based on my age. Autum 2006 was the start. I was paying sometimes for the BCFC Player back then, if that can be called a "supporting" action. 

Your support (as that’s what it is) is very welcome and appreciated Mihai. Hopefully you’ll manage to get over one day ??

12 hours ago, Red Skin said:

I think you already know, neighbour, but for everyone else..

For me it's been an acquired disease rather than a heredity one.  I moved into a shared house in Totterdown during the Euros in 1990.  One of lads that lived there already has a bad dose of Cityitis and almost certainly I picked it up from him.  A combination of fatigue from walking to AG, an immune system weakened by copious pints of cider en route, and prolonged exposure on away trips left me very susceptible to infection.   The initial symptoms of euphoria and unpredictable feelings of joy quickly faded and I've been struggling with the common sides effects of moodiness, a sense of hopelessness and general apathy ever since.  I have been prescribed some rose-tinted spectacles but these only seem to work in the summer months. By early September the side effect are back with avengence.  In good years I can be symptom free until Christmas but things always tend to go downhill in January.   I've been told it's not terminal, but it is lifelong condition that I will need to learn to manage somehow.  Trying not to look too far ahead - no good comes of that does it? - and just taking it one transfer window at a time these days.

At first I thought that was a cry for help. On reading it again, it would appear that you are indeed suffering with the same symptoms that many in Bristol also suffer, myself included. Fortunately you have missed out on catching the worst disease imaginable. The symptoms for that include, belief that you are a victim, long periods of dilusion, inability to speak the truth, a fear of soap and water, dressing like a jester, sporting a pony tail, tendency to head butt van windows and punch horses, easily led into believing propaganda, belief that you are a good football supporter as well as the belief that there are many more of you than actually exist. There are many more side effects which are too numerous to list, with the complaint commonly known as Gassicus headitis, a terrible affliction to be avoided at all cost.

Oct 1973 Scunny at home.

league cup reply 2 1 City

First ever football match for me, aged 8.

Taken by my late stepfather.

Mums side of the family were all gas , living in Fishponds in all.

Stood up in the East end that night.

Thats when i fell in love with City.

Thank goodness no one from my mums side took me to Eastville 

First one I remember clearly was City 4-3 Plymouth on Boxing Day 1984. I’m pretty sure my dad took me to a game v Crewe in 1983 but I have no recollection of that at all.

That Plymouth game was a cracker and it’s been downhill ever since... 

1 minute ago, Jacki said:

First one I remember clearly was City 4-3 Plymouth on Boxing Day 1984. I’m pretty sure my dad took me to a game v Crewe in 1983 but I have no recollection of that at all.

That Plymouth game was a cracker and it’s been downhill ever since... 

Neville 2, Hutchinson 2, Tynan 3

4 hours ago, Mihai said:

Unfortunately I can not call myself a supporter ( as someone said that to me on this forum ) . I am just a "fan" . A pretty long-serving based on my age. Autum 2006 was the start. I was paying sometimes for the BCFC Player back then, if that can be called a "supporting" action. 

Paying for bcfc tv is supporting the club so I would class you as a supporter

4 hours ago, Mihai said:

You’re definitely a supporter in my book. What I don’t understand is why!! Most of us can blame our parents/ grandparents or our proximity to the ground. How were you hooked in?

On 25/05/2021 at 21:32, Rich said:

As per the title.

I've been coming to Ashton Gate since January 1967 (Halifax Town FA Cup replay), though I know attended a few games in 1966, just can't remember them. It's been virtually unbroken bar the odd games since about 1968. Don't get to many away games as there are always other demands on my time.

There are friends and family who've been going for the same time and some even longer. I also see lots of people at the ground that I recognise from those early years and they've obviously been going for just as long. I doubt it's possible to find out if the club have this sort of information, maybe supporters groups that carry out surveys might. 

I am fed up of hearing the methane sniffers constantly going on about how loyal they are and how disloyal we as a fan base are, it's utter bullshyte. They're probably confused by the fact that we as supporters hold the club/management/owners to task if things aren't going well. Where as they put up with years of rubbish and must fear being called unloyal, or a shyte head if they dare to complain, while their club exploit that so called loyalty, with constant promises of better times.

My first game was 26th December 1958 v Cardiff I was aged 6. my father took me onto what was then called the covered end which was to become the East End. I returned in 1962 with my friends and I was hooked City became my life's joy and Ashton Gate my favorite place in my small world. i used to watch both first team and reserve games on alternative weeks. As time went on the mid sixties arrived and the football fans became so much more passionate the East End became a fortress around 1965ish, and those running battles with Birmingham, Cardiff and Plymouth stand out in my memory. 1.2.3.4.5....

Not that long since 2010, started going to games when I moved to Bristol with my now wife. 

Will be my 11th(?) Season as a ST holder, probably up to over 350 games now home and away so although i'm not "born and bred" and really a Portsmouth fan, I've paid my dues and suffered with the rest of you ?

On 26/05/2021 at 01:03, JustinCider said:

As long as I can remember. My dad was a Rovers fan, so is my brother-in-law; but luckily for me I listened to my brother as he's a City fan! My first game I saw was a Boxing Day match against Plymouth, a 2-2 draw. That was the 75-76 season when we got promoted to the old First Division, so I must've been a glory hunter really!

Merrick & Rodgers for us, Mariner and Rafferty for them

1966/67

First 10years were the dogs whotsits saw me hardly miss a game home or away, The A. Dicks era finished with us in the 1st div beating Liverpool at home in front of 38000 plus at excellent AG and the drama at Coventry.

Last 10yrs have been well not great, very poor manager choices and all resemblance of those heady days flattened and replaced, literally nothing left.

Not been back since the EE got flattened just watch from afar, hopefully NP and safe standing will intice me back soon.:tv_horror:

Archived