IGNORED

How the game has changed

cidered abroad

I made a post on the new topic about one's first game and as I know the author was/is a Spurs fan I did a piece about my first game at Spurs.

Digging into it a bit more, I discovered some amazing facts about that Spurs team that were the first in 20th century to do League and Cup double. Remember no subs.

Eleven players made the most appearances.

One made 14, two with 6 each and three with only 1 game each.

The City team that won Third (South) in 1955 were very similar with six who played over 40 games.

How times have changed.

It seem strange that players of yesteryear played in proper ankle boots and had to kick and head a laced ball that frequently became heavy and waterlogged - and yet these resolute souls seemed impervious to all the injuries that beset modern players. They don't make 'em like they used to.

4 minutes ago, Bat Fastard said:

It seem strange that players of yesteryear played in proper ankle boots and had to kick and head a laced ball that frequently became heavy and waterlogged - and yet these resolute souls seemed impervious to all the injuries that beset modern players. They don't make 'em like they used to.

Certainly more masculine..

The modern (21st century) man is of his time with gender "identity" less defined.....

No more knuckle dragging!

Not all change is necessarily for the best,,just unavoidable.

17 minutes ago, Bat Fastard said:

And yet we're told today's players are much fitter so players of previous generations wouldn't get on like they did.

Certainly more dull ...  all this possession and sideways passing, and it gets worse the higher up the pyramid you go.  If you want entertaining football go into League Two or non-League, or even youth football.  I support City now more out of loyalty than enthusiasm: I can’t remember when I last came away from a game feeling genuinely excited.  Probably Man U in 2017.

17 minutes ago, Bat Fastard said:

In fairness these days you're talking about physically stronger players playing at a faster pace on a more crisp surface at a much higher intensity with similar or seemingly less time to recover between games so you're bound to end up with injuries, muscular or impact.

However research that took place between 2001 - 2019 found that at elite clubs (1) the incidence of injuries in training and competition has decreased over the past 18 years; (2) the relapse injury rate has also decreased and (3) the players’ availability to participate in training and games has increased. 

It does seem strange that players from  60+ years ago managed to play so many games per season whilst being unfit by modern standards. There must be many logical reasons, for example the game being much slower. Another reason was the lack of concern for a player’s welfare by the clubs. Players were forced to play, even when carrying a niggling injury. The fact that continuing to play might cause physical damage in the long term was ignored. 

29 minutes ago, The Dolman Pragmatist said:

Certainly more dull ...  all this possession and sideways passing, and it gets worse the higher up the pyramid you go.  If you want entertaining football go into League Two or non-League, or even youth football.  I support City now more out of loyalty than enthusiasm: I can’t remember when I last came away from a game feeling genuinely excited.  Probably Man U in 2017.

I feel that's more based on how City play, that the league.

Man City for example, absolute joy to watch. Far better than some drab league 2 teams who just hoof it.

Each to their own.

For me the biggest change is the whole order of sport, including football, has gone to pot.

Football was about ATTENDING matches; Saturday, Tuesday, Saturday, Tuesday, Mid August through first week in May. One or two highlights, but go to games or miss out. And these days it's sodding everywhere. Every day of the week, every week of the year on TV, phone, tablet, in every boozer and occasionally in person if one can be bothered. You can't move without football being in your face. Much of it utterly meaningless. All of it over-hyped. 

As much as I liked the start of the football season I loved the end of the old one. Here comes Cricket, time to relax, have a few months off, occasional tournament to look forward to. So The Euros start this week, or next (I'm not sure) yet I've no idea where games are being played or even whose in it? I'll be looking forward and glued to Ascot, for that's where true sport and the action is.

Cricket has the same problem. One once knew what was going on dependant upon the day of the week; knew the players and their counties. Today I catch matches by chance and spend the first 15 minutes trying to work out who's playing and what format's being played. Who the hell are The Rapids? Are Birmingham & Warwickshire one and the same or are they different? How come X plays for Y in that format but Z in another. Oh, I see they've signed X this summer, yet two weeks later ask where he's gone not realising he only signed for a two match deal or is eligible only to play when his national, IPL, BBL, PCL, CPL side don't need him.

The problem with excess, too much chop and change, lack of routine, is many, myself included, can't be ar*ed to keep up.

Players of yesteryear had many of the bad habits now frowned upon. The stories of Alfie Biggs in the Black Swan are legendary. With today's pro's the training and conditioning has got them finely tuned with muscles so tight which is great when fit but it'll only take an overstretch to pull or even rip a muscle

Different times, different game but I do believe the old timers lack of fitness help them avoid serious muscular injuries.

1 hour ago, Sweeneys Penalties said:

not only the game, but the language of the game has changed. When I was a kid you conceded a free kick, a corner or whatever. Nowadays you win a free kick or corner. You used to concede a penalty, now you win a penalty.

With your name you should know all about penalties 

2 hours ago, Bat Fastard said:

Just the increased risk of early onset dementia to worry about from heading those heavy balls then eh

1 minute ago, Bat Fastard said:

How many of the posters on here still have a wooden rattle? Or even a bobble hat to go with their striped scarf? 

Silk scarves for me, tied round the wrist….and that’s not a kinky fantasy either……although…come to think of it….??

12 minutes ago, Bat Fastard said:

How many of the posters on here still have a wooden rattle? Or even a bobble hat to go with their striped scarf? 

Reminds me of a great boyhood memory, away against Spurs in the FA cup, not sure exactly when but about 50 years ago. As a special treat my dad had painted my rattle, for the big game. As we took the pitch I gave my prized rattle what for only for flicks of red and white paint to fly in all directions! 

if I remember correctly we lost 2-1 with Jimmy Greaves scoring x2 for them.

2 minutes ago, Jerseybean said:

Reminds me of a great boyhood memory, away against Spurs in the FA cup, not sure exactly when but about 50 years ago. As a special treat my dad had painted my rattle, for the big game. As we took the pitch I gave my prized rattle what for only for flicks of red and white paint to fly in all directions! 

if I remember correctly we lost 2-1 with Jimmy Greaves scoring x2 for them.

Had to look it up https://www.11v11.com/matches/tottenham-hotspur-v-bristol-city-11-march-1967-212539/

It was 1967 (1 was 11) we lost 2-0 and there were 54,000+ there including a few with flecks of red and white paint!  

Is it an unpopular opinion that a modern Bristol City team - say the one that got promoted under Cotts or the Man U beating side under LJ would beat any team from 30 years ago (I think arsenal won the league in 90/91).

3 hours ago, CheddarReds said:

In fairness these days you're talking about physically stronger players playing at a faster pace on a more crisp surface at a much higher intensity with similar or seemingly less time to recover between games so you're bound to end up with injuries, muscular or impact.

However research that took place between 2001 - 2019 found that at elite clubs (1) the incidence of injuries in training and competition has decreased over the past 18 years; (2) the relapse injury rate has also decreased and (3) the players’ availability to participate in training and games has increased. 

Unless Andrew Rolls was "head of performance"

36 minutes ago, Pezo said:

Is it an unpopular opinion that a modern Bristol City team - say the one that got promoted under Cotts or the Man U beating side under LJ would beat any team from 30 years ago (I think arsenal won the league in 90/91).

Having watched Arsenal around that time, they would have beaten us easily.  My abiding memory of our first game in the old first division at Arsenal was that there was a bloke selling peanuts. Not seen that before or since. 

57 minutes ago, Bat Fastard said:

There always used to be the smell of some kind of distinctive tobacco in the old East End.  Someone once told me it was golden virginia. It did not smell wacky but added to the atmosphere.  Does anybody know what is really was? 

Woodbine?

46 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

Apparently reserve games used to be a big thing when my Dad was young. Reserve league table in the papers and I think many fans would attend the games. Seems a bit mad now but that's how it was!

You mean before we had a game almost every day on TV and almost every hour of the weekend on TV? 

7 hours ago, NorthBris_Southstand said:

Interestingly there are 7 city players who appeared in 40 or more league games last season:

Bentley : 43 starts

Famara: 23 starts, 17 off the bench

Hunt: 37 starts, 4 off the bench

Kalas: 38 starts, 2 off the bench

Semenyo: 24 starts, 20 off the bench

Vyner: 38 starts, 5 off the bench

Wells: 36 starts, 10 off the bench.

Every other bu99er was injured

2 hours ago, Bat Fastard said:

There always used to be the smell of some kind of distinctive tobacco in the old East End.  Someone once told me it was golden virginia. It did not smell wacky but added to the atmosphere.  Does anybody know what is really was? 

I always assumed Embassy for no better reason than the permanent advertising hoardings

Archived