IGNORED

How the game has changed

cidered abroad

1 hour ago, JonDolman said:

Apparently reserve games used to be a big thing when my Dad was young. Reserve league table in the papers and I think many fans would attend the games. Seems a bit mad now but that's how it was!

When I used to live up north I used to watch Man Utd reserves when Ole was manager of them.

Many used to go. There were many that used to just watch the reserves instead of the first team. I'm talking approx 2007-2011 if memory serves correct.

Was far more fun. Alex and Bobby would be in attendance and mingle and chat.

You could move seats, chill and enjoy.

It was how football should be. Entertaining and relaxed. Not boring and forced.

It'll be interesting to know whether anyone enjoys football presently, over what they watched and experienced when they were younger?

It gets more boring for me each year, regardless if the ' quality'.

Like has been mentioned...it's too much. Sometimes less is more.

9 minutes ago, spudski said:

When I used to live up north I used to watch Man Utd reserves when Ole was manager of them.

Many used to go. There were many that used to just watch the reserves instead of the first team. I'm talking approx 2007-2011 if memory serves correct.

It'll be interesting to know whether anyone enjoys football presently, over what they watched and experienced when they were younger?

I expect that we become less excitable as we get older and the experience is a bit less intense.  It is hard to remember the total thrill of being in an enthusiastic crowd for the first time. We now look upon events with different eyes.  Sad because some seem to love the game less as they get older. Others see more and different elements of the game as they become older, more experienced and possibly more cynical.

I've been watching a bunch of old Match of the Day shows on YouTube recently; mostly from the early- to mid-80s. Great stuff, seeing the character of the old stadiums and remembering how much more entertaining the game was back then. I realize they're only showing highlights, so I'm not sure how representative this is, but the thing I notice most is the complete lack of flailing histrionics any time someone is challenged. And even though the game itself is slower, there was much less time wasted collecting the ball and restarting play - the sort of thing that just drains the life out of the game these days.

27 minutes ago, Bat Fastard said:

I expect that we become less excitable as we get older and the experience is a bit less intense.  It is hard to remember the total thrill of being in an enthusiastic crowd for the first time. We now look upon events with different eyes.  Sad because some seem to love the game less as they get older. Others see more and different elements of the game as they become older, more experienced and possibly more cynical.

Maybe... however I think the reasons are far more complex. Its got to a point now in life, where the world is moving so fast, that it's faster than generations living their life and it massively effecting them and their views...more so than the past.

I thought it was me just being middle aged...but I look around and the younger generation just aren't as excited about anything anymore. Not like when I was younger. For me...everything went downhill during the 90s. Everything has been pretty much done before since then...except technology.

It's become bland. Everything.

My formative years were the 80s...but I watch and read about the 60s and 70s and everything was more exciting back then.

I'd happily be older and would have loved to have experienced the 50s, 60s and 70s properly, rather than the last 30 years of blandness.

It's a far cry from small boys in the park; jumpers for goalposts. Isn't it? wasn't it? Rush goalie. Two at the back, three in the middle, four up front, one's gone home for his tea. Beans on toast? Possibly, don't quote me on that. Marvellous!

8 minutes ago, spudski said:

Maybe... however I think the reasons are far more complex. Its got to a point now in life, where the world is moving so fast, that it's faster than generations living their life and it massively effecting them and their views...more so than the past.

I thought it was me just being middle aged...but I look around and the younger generation just aren't as excited about anything anymore. Not like when I was younger. For me...everything went downhill during the 90s. Everything has been pretty much done before since then...except technology.

It's become bland. Everything.

My formative years were the 80s...but I watch and read about the 60s and 70s and everything was more exciting back then.

I'd happily be older and would have loved to have experienced the 50s, 60s and 70s properly, rather than the last 30 years of blandness.

You sound a bit world weary old chap.  As my remaining days are running out, I try to love everything and watching City is still up there with the great thrills in life. Sounds like you need to get a dog!!

I miss how each ground had something unique about it and how you could see the floodlights from miles away. 

Also how the teams would run (not walk) onto the pitch  separately, the away team being booed, without the likes of Downsy trying (and failing) who whip an atmosphere up. 

The diving/feigning injury is completely embarrassing. And I hate the way players pull their socks up above the knee and wear gloves. 

As for the game, it seems much more tactical and predictable now than when I was a kid in the 80s (and I’m not looking through rose tinted glasses - I remember some awful games, crowds were really low nationally and many grounds were crumbling). 

Teams are good at stifling games. Players are more athletic. 

4 minutes ago, Offside said:

I miss how each ground had something unique about it and how you could see the floodlights from miles away. 

Also how the teams would run (not walk) onto the pitch  separately, the away team being booed, without the likes of Downsy trying (and failing) who whip an atmosphere up. 

The diving/feigning injury is completely embarrassing. And I hate the way players pull their socks up above the knee and wear gloves. 

As for the game, it seems much more tactical and predictable now than when I was a kid in the 80s (and I’m not looking through rose tinted glasses - I remember some awful games, crowds were really low nationally and many grounds were crumbling). 

Teams are good at stifling games. Players are more athletic. 

I was, quite literally, just typing something out about the BBC showing some old FA cup highlights from down the years during the first lockdown and a West Brom v Forest quarter final in 1978 and how the teams "ran out, separately ....." when your post appeared ....

53 minutes ago, Bat Fastard said:

You sound a bit world weary old chap.  As my remaining days are running out, I try to love everything and watching City is still up there with the great thrills in life. Sounds like you need to get a dog!!

World weary is true. 

More fed up with the culture we are now living in tbh... especially in this country.

Miss traveling and feeling free.

Love the simple life. 

Football unfortunately for me is no longer ' simple'.

So now I'm just concentrating on the simple things that make me happy and life less complicated and stressful. 

Following City is stressful :laugh: 

6 hours ago, Jerseybean said:

Had to look it up https://www.11v11.com/matches/tottenham-hotspur-v-bristol-city-11-march-1967-212539/

It was 1967 (1 was 11) we lost 2-0 and there were 54,000+ there including a few with flecks of red and white paint!  

There were thousands of City there including me and Dad. Many went on on of four or five special trains which went direct to a station about half a mile from White Hart Lane.

Pat Jennings saved a penalty but it was retaken with a different City player who put it wide. (Subject to my memory being correct).

And John Quigley pleading with ref not to send off Dave Mackay. Stonewall sending off and ref agreed with Quigley. Greaves was awesome up front.

I loved watching us in the 80's, we had TC building a team from scratch wingers like Walshy and Pritchard and Crawford was tidy. Two in the middle Bobby Hutchinson and Harle was a favourite of mine and later Shelton. I guess I'm showing my age but the football was generally attacking. 442 none of these false no. 9's and 10 and a halfs etc. 

18 minutes ago, spudski said:

World weary is true. 

More fed up with the culture we are now living in tbh... especially in this country.

Miss traveling and feeling free.

Love the simple life. 

Football unfortunately for me is no longer ' simple'.

So now I'm just concentrating on the simple things that make me happy and life less complicated and stressful. 

Following City is stressful :laugh:

Maybe you see football more like a game of chess, whereas a simple soul like me still sees the passion and emotion more.  Talk about the simple life, I have to go and get my poultry shut away for the night. I have better conversations with them than with most people I meet.  I wish you joy of the day!

2 hours ago, spudski said:

Back in 1961, City played at Bury. A small crowd of us teenagers including Chris Garland an Rob Flicker on overnight train talking football all night with Fred Ford. He suggested we go to Old Trafford in the morning. We did and got shown around the ground. Man U were away at Arsenal but the Man U Reserves who were previous season Central League champions would, that afternoon, be playing a Central League Representative XI. Crowd expected 25,000!

Ford organized comps for all of us, handed out by Jack Connor. City lost 1-0 to eventual Third Division champions.

...and sometimes it barely changes.

If you get the chance, watch at least the extra time of USA v Mexico yesterday in the CONCACAF.

Possibly the best worst game I have seen for years.

A goal within 90 seconds due to a poor pass from the back

A dude jumping off a TV set into the unknown live for all to see

Multiple injuries, including a goalkeeper 

Yellow cards for dissent, bad tackles, taking a shirt off and touching the ref

3 VAR decisions made, wiping out one goal and creating two penalties

Fans throwing bottles at players during play and during celebrations

The game halted for anti-gay chants

Extra time

Manager sent off

Players played out of position

A player from each side was hit in the head with a bottle, each with drastically different responses

Absolute shithousery by both clubs to waste time and sabotage the opponent (marking up the penalty spot)

Sub goalkeeper comes on and saves a penalty

Fans invading the pitch

A trophy on the line

Absolute glorious madness.

17 hours ago, cityexile said:

...and sometimes it barely changes.

If you get the chance, watch at least the extra time of USA v Mexico yesterday in the CONCACAF.

Possibly the best worst game I have seen for years.

A goal within 90 seconds due to a poor pass from the back

A dude jumping off a TV set into the unknown live for all to see

Multiple injuries, including a goalkeeper 

Yellow cards for dissent, bad tackles, taking a shirt off and touching the ref

3 VAR decisions made, wiping out one goal and creating two penalties

Fans throwing bottles at players during play and during celebrations

The game halted for anti-gay chants

Extra time

Manager sent off

Players played out of position

A player from each side was hit in the head with a bottle, each with drastically different responses

Absolute shithousery by both clubs to waste time and sabotage the opponent (marking up the penalty spot)

Sub goalkeeper comes on and saves a penalty

Fans invading the pitch

A trophy on the line

Absolute glorious madness.

So the game was stopped due to chanting 

But carried on after players hit with bottles!!!

Sums up todays world

Sticks and stones ...............

20 hours ago, Final 3 Star said:

I've been watching a bunch of old Match of the Day shows on YouTube recently; mostly from the early- to mid-80s. Great stuff, seeing the character of the old stadiums and remembering how much more entertaining the game was back then. I realize they're only showing highlights, so I'm not sure how representative this is, but the thing I notice most is the complete lack of flailing histrionics any time someone is challenged. And even though the game itself is slower, there was much less time wasted collecting the ball and restarting play - the sort of thing that just drains the life out of the game these days.

You've forgotten teams playing the ball 60 yards back to their Goalkeeper for him to pick it up, roll it out to the full back and receive another back pass, pick it up, roll it out blah blah blah then...................that never wasted time at all did it? I can remember a certain team called Liverpool who had this pass back thing perfected to an artform.

On 08/06/2021 at 12:03, BTRFTG said:

For me the biggest change is the whole order of sport, including football, has gone to pot.

Football was about ATTENDING matches; Saturday, Tuesday, Saturday, Tuesday, Mid August through first week in May. One or two highlights, but go to games or miss out. And these days it's sodding everywhere. Every day of the week, every week of the year on TV, phone, tablet, in every boozer and occasionally in person if one can be bothered. You can't move without football being in your face. Much of it utterly meaningless. All of it over-hyped. 

As much as I liked the start of the football season I loved the end of the old one. Here comes Cricket, time to relax, have a few months off, occasional tournament to look forward to. So The Euros start this week, or next (I'm not sure) yet I've no idea where games are being played or even whose in it? I'll be looking forward and glued to Ascot, for that's where true sport and the action is.

Cricket has the same problem. One once knew what was going on dependant upon the day of the week; knew the players and their counties. Today I catch matches by chance and spend the first 15 minutes trying to work out who's playing and what format's being played. Who the hell are The Rapids? Are Birmingham & Warwickshire one and the same or are they different? How come X plays for Y in that format but Z in another. Oh, I see they've signed X this summer, yet two weeks later ask where he's gone not realising he only signed for a two match deal or is eligible only to play when his national, IPL, BBL, PCL, CPL side don't need him.

The problem with excess, too much chop and change, lack of routine, is many, myself included, can't be ar*ed to keep up.

Yep, definitely with you on that first/last bit. And added to that the potential for dates to change at little or no notice, purely at the behest of our lord and masters at sky.

I'm not a big cricket fan so can't comment on that bit - but as a bit of an onlooker I must admit that I'm completely baffled by the various competitions and types of game that get mentioned - they mean nothing to me!

20 hours ago, Final 3 Star said:

I watched a couple of old City videos a few years ago (before the vhs player packed up!) and one thing that really struck me was how the constant passing it back to the keeper slowed the game down. That was very definitely a positive rule change in my view.

13 minutes ago, Numero Uno said:

You've forgotten teams playing the ball 60 yards back to their Goalkeeper for him to pick it up, roll it out to the full back and receive another back pass, pick it up, roll it out blah blah blah then...................that never wasted time at all did it? I can remember a certain team called Liverpool who had this pass back thing perfected to an artform.

Sorry - just got down the thread this far, having already replied saying pretty much exactly the same thing!!

1 hour ago, italian dave said:

I watched a couple of old City videos a few years ago (before the vhs player packed up!) and one thing that really struck me was how the constant passing it back to the keeper slowed the game down. That was very definitely a positive rule change in my view.

Sorry - just got down the thread this far, having already replied saying pretty much exactly the same thing!!

Only reason I mentioned it is because people get very rose tinted about these things. The last ten minutes of games used to be borefests if a team was 1-0 up. Liverpool were superb at it as I say. Three points for a win and the scrapping of keepers picking up back passes have made a huge contribution to football, for the better, and I see too many people just moaning like babies about how much better football was 40 years ago, when the keeper had a Woodbine on the go and the Centre Half was "allowed" one go at crippling the Centre Forward in the first tackle, for the sake of it more than anything else.

If anyone missed the start of the backpass rule they missed out..........because many keepers at the time were absolutely useless when the ball was played back to them, own goals scored with the keeper air kicking his attempted punt up field or mis-controlling straight to the centre forward etc. etc.

2 hours ago, Numero Uno said:

Only reason I mentioned it is because people get very rose tinted about these things. The last ten minutes of games used to be borefests if a team was 1-0 up. Liverpool were superb at it as I say. Three points for a win and the scrapping of keepers picking up back passes have made a huge contribution to football, for the better, and I see too many people just moaning like babies about how much better football was 40 years ago, when the keeper had a Woodbine on the go and the Centre Half was "allowed" one go at crippling the Centre Forward in the first tackle, for the sake of it more than anything else.

If anyone missed the start of the backpass rule they missed out..........because many keepers at the time were absolutely useless when the ball was played back to them, own goals scored with the keeper air kicking his attempted punt up field or mis-controlling straight to the centre forward etc. etc.

There's probably an element of rose-tintedness to my recollections, I'll admit. In fact, one early MOTD I watched the other night featured Fulham against Man Utd (with Charlton, Law, and a newcomer named Best) and it was abysmal - no flow to the game and barely two passes strung together. So I wouldn't say that the old game was 'better' per se... just that it had an aura and excitement that was unmatched for me as a kid. 

The level of coaching and organisation of the defensive side of the game has meant it's easier to stifle the opposition.

At the same time the streetwise mavericks either never make it because the lack athleticism, or they have their natural skill coached out if them.

Generally, it's all become dull and predictable for the most part.

Great question OP. ?

Probably being too deep or stating the obvious here but my view is that broadly speaking football is a reflection of society in general at that time.

What do I mean by that? Here’s just an example :

If (like me) you grew up with football in the 70s or 80s, you may have a nostalgic view that “the game was better then”.  There was reduced choice in all elements of life then too (no shops open on Sundays, only 3 or 4 TV channels etc). Coverage of football on TV was scarce so I guess it feels like you appreciated it more both live & on TV

Later generations only know more choice (lots of TV channels, 24/7 shopping, Internet - generally an ‘always on’ society) and football today reflects that to a certain extent because business people recognise an opportunity when they see it.

I feel that’s why generally speaking ‘older’ generations struggle to square the big business vs love of the game circle because it’s such a contrast for them. ‘Younger’ generations don’t currently have such a contrast (although things like VAR might be starting to change that ?)

On 09/06/2021 at 15:29, Numero Uno said:

Keepers cant pick up a back pass. Its why the rule was changed. Teams used to do the above regularly. Liverpool particularly in Europe would do the above sometimes from kick off to subdue the game and waste time in it later stages. Souness really did pass the ball back sixty yards. 

20 minutes ago, OddBallJim said:

That's fantastic. What a moment.

I don't know anything else about the photo, but I like to imagine they are playing Bristol Rovers and the keeper is thinking "these idiots aren't going to get anywhere near me, might as well have a fag".

Archived