IGNORED

Daniel Levy and Steve Lansdown: their managerial choices

Daniro

I've just read this interesting article in the Gruaniad about Levy's history of using his total power to  make poor footballing decisions and the impact that has had on Spurs over the last 20 years.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2021/jun/08/daniel-levy-the-common-denominator-in-tottenhams-endless-managerial-farce

"Even the much-maligned Ed Woodward at Manchester United has to face the shareholders every few months. Levy, by contrast, operates a small circle of loyal nodding dogs, "

Impossible not to compare our situation - fancy new stadium, commercial success but  long term footballing underachievement .      Sacking Pochettino was insane though, and I don't think Stevie would have done that.

And of course, our dear leader has also now  seen the light, made a serious footballing appointment and our future is bright.    But it's taken a while!    

Both Lansdown and Levy have most of their business experience in financial services/hedge funds, probably gives them a fairly similar mindset when compared to other football club owners. One big difference is that I see Tottenham have a chance of turning a profit in the coming years whilst for Steve this club will continue to run at a loss for the foreseeable future. I definitely agree that NP has the personality and the clout to hold the board to account more than previous regimes (and that is much needed for improvement on the field).

I wonder how Liew got snubbed or put down by Levy in the past. 

He can't even get his facts right, Levy owns less than 30% of Spurs, or he did on the last count, so still has the majority shareholder to account to.

43 minutes ago, Hxj said:

He can't even get his facts right, Levy owns less than 30% of Spurs, or he did on the last count, so still has the majority shareholder to account to.

Actually, I quite like Jonathan Liew and enjoyed the article to which you refer. 

I am not sufficiently knowledgeable financially to delve in to these matters as you, @Mr Popodopolous and others do so well, but I am not sure JL said that Levy didn't have to account to the major shareholder, simply that Joe Lewis is an absentee owner and that, by extension, Levy is very much left to do his own thing.

6 hours ago, Hxj said:

He's pretty much given the cash to get on and spend as he sees fit though. 

Similar with Booy and Tainton at Bristol Bears. 

Compare and contrast the success they're having versus SL's "hands on" involvement in the football club. 

22 minutes ago, chinapig said:

Thank heavens we've never been in a position where our owner has given complete control over football operations to somebody who has no football expertise. Imagine how badly things might have gone if he had.

Indeed , for example it would be like giving total control  to someone who's only football experience ended after failing as a goalkeeper in West Brom's youth team and who's management experience consisted of being run out of town at Watford after being outed as a complete fraud and being let go by the mighty Oxford.

Archived