IGNORED

Fixtures out 9am 24th June

CyderInACan

Tough season all round i think.

Peterborough, Hull and Blackpool will be competitive (Yates first game of the season).

West Brom, Fulham, Sheff Utd still kept the nucleus of their squads together.

Happy with lower mid table at this point.

28 minutes ago, 054123 said:

Come on, you know as well as I do that the first away/home games can bring them all out of the woodwork, especially if it’s local(ish) or a spicy affair for whatever reason. Blackpool at home has no real significance and Boro away is a bit of a pig to do.

Luton away on Boxing Day? Well a home fixture would be better, but even if we were away, you know there are plenty of better away days.

I know we have to play every team and my season tickets are ready to go.

But if I said to you pick your first home/away game and Boxing Day game, these three are in your top 10?

They'd definitely be in my top 23....

6 minutes ago, NcnsBcfc said:

Peterborough, Hull and Blackpool will be competitive (Yates first game of the season).

Absolutely ecstatic if that happens.

9 minutes ago, NcnsBcfc said:

I'm reluctant to use the word "happy" with lower mid table - but I agree that's fairly realistic.

I'd hope that with a competent medical department, NP in charge, and the squad available to us (now including Dasilva, Williams, Weimann, + new signings) we shouldn't really be too involved in any kind of relegation battle.

I think my "happiness" with the season will be largely dependent upon the foundations we set and our apparent future trajectory. Do we have a good work ethic? Do we play as a team with cohesion and a clear system? Do we do the basics well defensively and offensively? Do our younger players develop well? etc.

If the answer to the above questions is yes, then I'll be fairly happy with mid table. However, if the answer is no and we finish lower mid table whilst showing exactly the same flaws as we have in the last 18 months, then I won't be happy at all - it'll feel much less like progress and much more like simply delaying the inevitable. 

55 minutes ago, BS2 Red said:

Don't go booking your train tickets to Derby just yet!

We all know nothing will happen , and derby will be let off - unfortunately the EFL have no desire to punish teams who continue to break the rules 

34 minutes ago, NcnsBcfc said:

Totally.

Though I know this isn’t a popular view but do think the supporters of the promoted sides are in for a shock, seen one Blackpool fan saying we are “disappointing” first opponents.

Usually 2 of the 3 go down again & I do think they will all struggle, but maybe not go down.

Of the sides nearer the top, some odd stuff going on at Fulham with Parker expected to leave, West Brom taking for ever to appoint a manager (sound familiar?) & Bournemouth apparently where Parker is headed.

It’s always tough, we were rubbish last season & despite the clearout have little room to manoeuvre under FFP, 14th looks great from here.

1 hour ago, BCFCGav said:

We start against newly promoted teams bizarrely often it feels like. It’s good though.

Newly promoted teams can be a pain in the Arsenal to play against. They are full of confidence having been used to winning in the division below and often play out of their skins before tailing off when they’re burnt out . 

I would prefer to play them later on . Conversely I would take a relegated side which gives us a good chance of winning against a side with doubts and used to losing.

19 minutes ago, Silvio Dante said:

Did David Seal then score a worldie to equalise? IIRC he went on a streak at the start of that season and most were absolute belters

That was the one.  Joe said of him after something like 8 in the first 10 matches that he couldn't be considered a great goalscorer yet, but was a scorer of great goals.  They soon dried up though!  

1 hour ago, Silvio Dante said:

Did David Seal then score a worldie to equalise? IIRC he went on a streak at the start of that season and most were absolute belters

Remember that. Was just sitting down in the new Atyeo stand; thinking "great new season etc". Loads of people still moving to their seats.

What a way to bring us back to reality.

Seal scored some great goals during that Purple patch. I remember this being about 25 yards out, and arrowed onto the top left corner.

2 hours ago, Silvio Dante said:

Seal should have scored before it mind.

Then again, Blackpool should have scored a second before he scored.

Archived