IGNORED

No knee

pillred

2 hours ago, MarcusX said:

We definitely needed another thread on taking the knee. 25 pages in the other one isn’t enough

Considering Brentford's decision was only made last night and the other thread is on booing players taking the knee I thought their decision was worthy of debate or comment on the current pages, of course you have never started a conversation on here that has been talked about endless times before. 

Fair play to you @pillred  I think this is slightly different.and merits a separate thread  Personally I don't like lumping everything into the same thread.

I strongly disagree with booing players taking the knee, but if Brentford players decide they don't want to do it then that's up to them. 

There is a question here about the impact this gesture has now.  I'm sure everyone in support would like actions rather than gestures now. 

It's a bit like when the country stopped clapping the NHS.  The hope was they would be rewarded for going above and beyond.  Instead they got a derisory pay increase.  

I doubt they will be alone in this. Different players and different dressing rooms will discuss it and decide different courses of action I am sure, some will be emboldened to continue, others will prefer to take other courses of action. I would have thought though that if we are in a situation where some clubs do take the knee, others don't, then it will lose some impact and therefore start to disappear as time goes on. 

20 minutes ago, Furious Custard said:

I want more kneeling, up it to the start of each half. Until the authorities and social media companies start taking real action at eliminating racism in mainstream media.

Instead of a sin bin or soft yellow why not take the knee for 10 mins in the corner of the pitch like dunces used to at school... 

10 hours ago, pillred said:

Brentford have stated they will not be taking the knee next season they are the first premier league club to state this, I wonder if they will be alone.

I don't think Brentford have actually made a statement on next season yet. They decided in February to stop doing it as they felt it was no longer having an impact, and a couple of news papers picked up on that yesterday, but I don't think they've made a new statement. I doubt they'll change their minds though.

In all honesty, I think taking the knee would probably have quietly disappeared at the end of the season but I think the booing is probably going to make players feel a need to continue in order to not look like they are backing down due to a vocal minority. 

2 hours ago, pillred said:

Considering Brentford's decision was only made last night and the other thread is on booing players taking the knee I thought their decision was worthy of debate or comment on the current pages, of course you have never started a conversation on here that has been talked about endless times before. 

As someone else pointed out, they stopped taking the knee in February so it's not really news. i'm just not particularly interested in another long debate from the same people.

Of course if the title had been a bit more obvious I'd have simply avoided the thread

Tbf I rarely ever post a new thread, so thats a moot point.

1 hour ago, MarcusX said:

As someone else pointed out, they stopped taking the knee in February so it's not really news. i'm just not particularly interested in another long debate from the same people.

Of course if the title had been a bit more obvious I'd have simply avoided the thread

Tbf I rarely ever post a new thread, so thats a moot point.

It was posted last night as them being the first premier league club to refuse to take the knee that is why I asked the question do you think they will be alone in doing so? that was all and very few topics on here are ever truly original that's all I was saying the fact the "knee" topic is tucked away on the bottom of page 2 means me and a fair few others probably missed it.

2 hours ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

Seems very likely many other clubs will take this opportunity to quietly follow Brentford's lead and stop taking the knee at the start of next season.

Yes I wouldn't be surprised either, it sometimes just takes one team brave enough to say no more for others to follow.

If this truly is about personal choice, then it could get beyond ridiculous. Some players taking the knee, some not. Some referees taking the knee, and others blowing the whistle and starting the match. They could take the view that if someone scores while you're on your knee, tough, you're on the field to play football, make your point some other way.

Of course the fight against racism shouldn't end, but I think this particular display should draw to a close now, if for nothing else, practical reasons.

It is interesting, and I think QPR were the first to stop and that in itself got People talking. It gets to the stage where it starts to lose it's impact or message, or as we've seen it gets side tracked. It's a vitally important message and maybe it's time to change how the message is put across, though there will always be someone wanting to complain.

Brentford are active in the local community, so I'm sure they are being proactive in other ways.

My concern is, that once fans are properly back in the stadiums, this will cause division amongst them, which will no doubt become heated for a few who are that way inclined.

3 hours ago, pillred said:

It was posted last night as them being the first premier league club to refuse to take the knee that is why I asked the question do you think they will be alone in doing so? that was all and very few topics on here are ever truly original that's all I was saying the fact the "knee" topic is tucked away on the bottom of page 2 means me and a fair few others probably missed it.

It wasn't posted last night though. Brentford have not made a statement on taking the knee since February and have not made any comment about whether they will do it in the Premier League or not. 

10 minutes ago, LondonBristolian said:

It wasn't posted last night though. Brentford have not made a statement on taking the knee since February and have not made any comment about whether they will do it in the Premier League or not. 

Brentford made the decision some time ago to stop taking the knee.

Why would being in a different division cause them to change their minds?

2 minutes ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

Brentford made the decision some time ago to stop taking the knee.

Why would being in a different division cause them to change their minds?

I doubt it would. But my point was the original poster seems to think they've made some sort of statement on it and I was pointing out that they've said nothing since February and haven't explicitly said they won't be doing next season. I see no reasons why they would change their mind but this thread seems to exist on the assumption that Brentford have put out a statement about taking the knee next season when that is not the case. 

Just now, LondonBristolian said:

I doubt it would. But my point was the original poster seems to think they've made some sort of statement on it and I was pointing out that they've said nothing since February and haven't explicitly said they won't be doing next season. I see no reasons why they would change their mind but this thread seems to exist on the assumption that Brentford have put out a statement about taking the knee next season when that is not the case. 

As Brentford decided as a club to stop taking the knee I would agree with you that promotion is unlikely to change their minds.

No added statement, but unless they make a dramatic and unexpected u-turn - and why would they? -  they will become the first PL club not to take the knee, and that's why it's notable enough for pillred to highlight it.

53 minutes ago, LondonBristolian said:

It was quoted on BBC sport website last night that they would be the first premier league club to not take the knee next season. from that I assumed they had made their position clear.

52 minutes ago, grifty said:

I wonder if the Brentford players will boo other other teams player who do decide to take the knee?

When they stopped doing it, their statement made very clear that they fully supported other clubs taking the knee. As with QPR, their reason for stopping isn't a disagreement with the principle or the gesture but rather a feeling there is a need to stop it becoming a token gesture. 

2 minutes ago, pillred said:

It was quoted on BBC sport website last night that they would be the first premier league club to not take the knee next season. from that I assumed they had made their position clear.

Where - there’s no news article on BBC Sports Brentford site that I can see? Can’t see anything in a google search either? 

0EAF5BF0-B1D5-463B-B577-C74F3C06644E.thumb.png.1b720c7b498a355f540078f22175bbe7.png

11 minutes ago, In the Net said:

That was probably what the BBC were reporting on, I definitely saw an article late last night that said they would be the first premier league club not to take it (the knee) glad I'm not going mad.

Archived