IGNORED

Euro 2021/21

daored

3 minutes ago, BCFCGav said:

It's a tricky one, he could end up blocking off a very impressive generation. For me, he's too good not to use. He loves the Euros too, always plays out of his skin. Haven't seen them in qualifying, but they could use Fernandes at 10 with Jota and B. Silva on wings and CR7 as a 9. The player to suffer from this would be Joao Felix though, who himself could be quite some player in years to come, so it really is a balancing act. 

Any manager leaving out Ronaldo for Jao Felix needs his head examining.  Felix is a perfect sub though.  5 subs are allowed at this tournament so these conundrums are less about leaving people out and more about how you use different players. It's more like grassroots football which below a certain level is rolling subs. Wonder how close we are to that?  I manage a kids team and I like it.  You have more leeway to react to events and if you're sensible can keep more players happy and part of the team.  With the current environment for footballers I think this is massively important.

44 minutes ago, The Bard said:

They absolutely do.  

To win a major tournament you need a miserly defence and astute manager and they have that.  Main issue is with scoring, though they managed to win the 2006 world cup without a main striker (took 6 different strikers all of whom scored at some point).

I don't see how you can compare the 2006 world cup squad containing some of the modern greats of Italian football to the average side of today. But if i'm wrong I'll hold my hands up. I do have a soft spot for Italy and I love pizza.

6 minutes ago, jj77 said:

I don't see how you can compare the 2006 world cup squad containing some of the modern greats of Italian football to the average side of today. But if i'm wrong I'll hold my hands up. I do have a soft spot for Italy and I love pizza.

Looks good to me if the ageing centre backs can have a good tournament 

0F0579D0-954A-4275-9DA9-DD8232C29D09.png

2 hours ago, cityloyal473 said:

Me neither. Sheesh, what next - everyone through to the knockout stages. 

Thats been clarified above by BCFCGav. 

But still, why this screwing around with it.  Top two through that should be it. 

You not see copa America? 2 groups of 5 and 4 out of each group goes to the knockout stages

2 hours ago, Red7 said:

I think we have a decent chance if other teams could knock out France and Belgium. I reckon both these teams would tear England a new one.
Interestingly, France went pretty much with what is likely to be their starting line-up in yesterday's friendly. 
Surely this is a far better approach than England's. I always get the impression that countries such as France, Germany and now Belgium already know what their best XI is, whereas England doesn't have such a clear idea.  

Sadly people would say we had an "easy" route again! We've nothing to fear in Belgium, we've beaten them since the WC. France look a strong force though I agree.

I dont think it's that he doesn't know his best 11, he was tied by the fact that so many players had just played in the European Cup finals and nursing injuries. Would it have been preferred to get some continuity and play his strongest side? of course, but it was more important to manage those fitness levels especially as we've already got injuries to several players.

Funny that so many people rate Belgium, they are essentially 2006 England. All the big names but flatter to decieve at tournaments. Admittedly they made the semi-finals as well, but they always seem to be overrated to me

23 minutes ago, MarcusX said:

Sadly people would say we had an "easy" route again! We've nothing to fear in Belgium, we've beaten them since the WC. France look a strong force though I agree.

I dont think it's that he doesn't know his best 11, he was tied by the fact that so many players had just played in the European Cup finals and nursing injuries. Would it have been preferred to get some continuity and play his strongest side? of course, but it was more important to manage those fitness levels especially as we've already got injuries to several players.

Funny that so many people rate Belgium, they are essentially 2006 England. All the big names but flatter to decieve at tournaments. Admittedly they made the semi-finals as well, but they always seem to be overrated to me

Totally agree about Belgium. I wouldn't even say their first 11 is that strong. Ok they have a Courtois, Lukaku, De Bruyne, but he is injured. Hazard has been off form for ages. Ageing centre backs.

28 minutes ago, MarcusX said:

They have looked far more of a cohesive unit to me than England in recent games. But, yes, they do flatter to deceive at tournaments. Then again, so do England.

I have griezmann at 22/1 for golden boot, £10 EW

In terms of whole competition, this is probably a couple years too early for England with lack of experience within squad, probably the complete opposite to Belgium who have prob passed their peak. Portuguese aren’t as strong defensively as others, and the Italians need a world class striker. Germany and Spain havnt been in best of form and Holland don’t have strength of other teams. I’d be surprised if France don’t win 

France or Italy would be my picks. They've got the best overall squads.

Portugal, Belgium and England have good strength in attack but the defences are too weak and patchy. De Bruyne got his face smashed in didn't he? So he's out.

I think we'll see a number of dark horses as well. In particular I'd fancy Ukraine and Austria to spring a few surprises...if they can convert their good attacking play into actual goals.

Hoping for a good tournament, although I do wish it would revert to the right, high quality 16 team, 4 group tournament I grew up with.

30 minutes ago, Red Army 75 said:

People’s predictions for the the starting 11 on Sunday. Read a couple of articles Shaw could start centre back. Shows the lack of depth in that position if true. 

Yes this - https://www.givemesport.com/1704880-englands-euro-2020-xi-vs-croatia-southgate-considers-starting-four-fullbacks

I do prefer Chilwell at left back so how do they fit in Shaw ?  Either that or go for a back 4 

56 minutes ago, LoyalRed said:

Yes this - https://www.givemesport.com/1704880-englands-euro-2020-xi-vs-croatia-southgate-considers-starting-four-fullbacks

I do prefer Chilwell at left back so how do they fit in Shaw ?  Either that or go for a back 4 

If they play Chilwell and Shaw that means we will play a back 5 with Shaw as one of the CBs.

14 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

So do I. I have a feeling Southgate will favour Rashford and Sterling. Him making Rashford captain for the friendly was quite telling I think. 

Do you think he would take a draw now against Croatia?

2 hours ago, Red Army 75 said:

People’s predictions for the the starting 11 on Sunday. Read a couple of articles Shaw could start centre back. Shows the lack of depth in that position if true. 

Best solution to an awkward problem.  Mings simply isn't up to it.  Coady and Stones too similar so play one and put defensive inside full backs either side of Stones. 

We won a double doing exactly this 

13 minutes ago, Super said:

Do you think he would take a draw now against Croatia?

I think so. He'd never admit it but obviously given the way the groups are structured he'd probably prefer to come second and avoid a harder tie upon qualifying. A draw and then two wins (whilst hoping Croatia do the same with better goal difference) is the best way of achieving this. 

Archived