IGNORED

Euro 2021/21

daored

21 hours ago, ExiledAjax said:

France or Italy would be my picks. They've got the best overall squads.

Portugal, Belgium and England have good strength in attack but the defences are too weak and patchy. De Bruyne got his face smashed in didn't he? So he's out.

I think we'll see a number of dark horses as well. In particular I'd fancy Ukraine and Austria to spring a few surprises...if they can convert their good attacking play into actual goals.

Hoping for a good tournament, although I do wish it would revert to the right, high quality 16 team, 4 group tournament I grew up with.

2 groups of 4 was the first I went to and home within 7 days ....

3 minutes ago, One Team said:

Watching the BBC launch show and had forgotten our own Ashley Williams scored against Belgium in Wales’ quarter final win in the last Euros.

Mica Richards is excellent. V articulate, knowledgeable and great sense of humour

23 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

My friend who reads everything there is to read on football and really understands the game believes he's going to go..

Pickford

Walker, Stones, Shaw

James                                        Chilwell

Rice, Bellingham

Mount - Kane - Grealish

I can't see him playing that front 3 as it would be, relatively speaking, pretty slow. I suspect he will play 1 of Rashford/Sterling/Sancho to try and stretch the opposition. I also would be surprised if he goes with both fullbacks at CB. I think it's more likely he will play White and perhaps Walker at RWB due to his pace.

That’s interesting. It appears that Shaw on the left of a back 3 is a serious consideration. I would be surprised to see Bellingham start. See I don’t think he will start White. I would personally throw him in. He’s quality and far more technically gifted than Mings & Coady.

On 10/06/2021 at 07:45, Red Army 75 said:

People’s predictions for the the starting 11 on Sunday. Read a couple of articles Shaw could start centre back. Shows the lack of depth in that position if true. 

I see this as the best option personally, not sure what combination but I'd probably go with Walker and Shaw either side of Stones providing solid protection and a bit of pace to cover him. James and Chilwell Wing backs

Rice can sit in front of the back 3 and ideally Henderson but given his injuries I think Mount may be the best option alongside him. Bellingham's looked good too so I wouldn't be disappointed with him in there. When it was Rice and Phillips i felt like they were both trying to do the same job and one becomes redundant, usually KP. It's a huge lack of experience in that midfield though especially at this level.

Front 3 has to be Foden, Kane, Grealish on current form but Sterling and Rashford arent exactly bad options to have. Both have captained their club so they may get included for their experience.

21 hours ago, E.G.Red said:

I think that the advantage Steve Clarke has over Gareth Southgate , is that he knows his best starting 11. I'm not sure that Gareth knows his yet.

We hear this a lot but it doesn't really mean a lot. We've got a wealth of talent and different players work better in different games, not many teams put the same 11 out regardless of opposition.

I'm sure Gareth does know his best players for specific scenarios, just because decisions might seem odd to fans/pundits doesnt mean there isnt a reason for them.

2 hours ago, MC RISK77 said:

Forza Italia!! We are due a Euros win

They look very strong, is it 27 games without defeat? 8 wins in a row and no goals conceded in that time, in fact 3 goals conceded in that last 17 and only 7 in that 27 game run. Unbelievable stats.

14 minutes ago, MarcusX said:

They look very strong, is it 27 games without defeat? 8 wins in a row and no goals conceded in that time, in fact 3 goals conceded in that last 17 and only 7 in that 27 game run. Unbelievable stats.

Yeah it’s a very good run of results and looking at their group and potential second round opponents they should go quite deep into the tournament.

The spine of the team looks good, and love how Chiellini and Bonucci are still in the squad as can’t knock that experience in the group.

A lot of talent in the forward line and hope they can find a partnership that can gel and one of the forwards becomes the next Rossi, Schillachi or Baggio.

Then again my hopes could come crashing back down to earth tonight ? 

54 minutes ago, MarcusX said:

I see this as the best option personally, not sure what combination but I'd probably go with Walker and Shaw either side of Stones providing solid protection and a bit of pace to cover him. James and Chilwell Wing backs

Rice can sit in front of the back 3 and ideally Henderson but given his injuries I think Mount may be the best option alongside him. Bellingham's looked good too so I wouldn't be disappointed with him in there. When it was Rice and Phillips i felt like they were both trying to do the same job and one becomes redundant, usually KP. It's a huge lack of experience in that midfield though especially at this level.

Front 3 has to be Foden, Kane, Grealish on current form but Sterling and Rashford arent exactly bad options to have. Both have captained their club so they may get included for their experience.

We hear this a lot but it doesn't really mean a lot. We've got a wealth of talent and different players work better in different games, not many teams put the same 11 out regardless of opposition.

I'm sure Gareth does know his best players for specific scenarios, just because decisions might seem odd to fans/pundits doesnt mean there isnt a reason for them.

You also have to remember you get to use 5 subs during this tournament. So having the wealth of attacking options that we have means that you could play a lot of them in a single game

53 minutes ago, MarcusX said:

Have they beaten any decent opposition though?

18 minutes ago, Super said:

Have they beaten any decent opposition though?

Every team plays lesser teams in qualifying but fail to put together that sort of run very often. They smashed Czech Republic, couple of games against Holland (1 win 1 draw) twice beat Greece and Poland, drew with Portugal (and lost one which was their last defeat) Like I say to barely even concede is impressive, and after such a disappointing 2018 qualifying campaign

17 minutes ago, MarcusX said:

Every team plays lesser teams in qualifying but fail to put together that sort of run very often. They smashed Czech Republic, couple of games against Holland (1 win 1 draw) twice beat Greece and Poland, drew with Portugal (and lost one which was their last defeat) Like I say to barely even concede is impressive, and after such a disappointing 2018 qualifying campaign

Def impressive and the team does look good on paper.

12 hours ago, Taylor10 said:

That’s interesting. It appears that Shaw on the left of a back 3 is a serious consideration. I would be surprised to see Bellingham start. See I don’t think he will start White. I would personally throw him in. He’s quality and far more technically gifted than Mings & Coady.

I think if Henderson isn't fit then Bellingham probably will start. He likes Mount so he's also pretty much nailed on although I'd be surprised to see him as a right sided forward.. will be interesting either way to see how we line up. 

27 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

I think if Henderson isn't fit then Bellingham probably will start. He likes Mount so he's also pretty much nailed on although I'd be surprised to see him as a right sided forward.. will be interesting either way to see how we line up. 

Would go with Foden, Kane & either Rashford or Sterling in the front 3.

Then Mount, Grealish, probably Rice in the centre in midfield. If not Rice, then Phillips can do a decent job as well (depending on fitness)

At the back is where we have issues. Pace wise probably Walker at rb, but defensively he's a liability; otherwise James there. In the centre Stones (Good at set pieces); but who to put alongside him, Mings is the left footed option; but like Walker he always looks like a mistake waiting to happen. He'll probably get the nod though as Maguire isn't available. It's definitely in the centre where we have our issues.

At left back I'd put Chillwell, backed up by Shaw if needed. I think he's a better all round option in that position. We also have Trippier as well for either left or right back,

Goalkeeper wise, it'll probably be Pickford; but I thought Johnstone did very well against Romania (albeit it was Romania). In a team with very little tournament experience though, he'll go for Pickford.

We've got a decent squad i think. Lots of young talent coming through. Looking forward to the games now.?

9 minutes ago, Roger Red Hat said:

Roger. It's admirable to try and draw attention to this, and I appreciate it has been framed within the theme of "football", but can we please keep at least one thread free of overt political discussion about a far off country's situation? You are very active in the Politics forum, so perhaps that's a better place for this article to be shared. 

Hungary aren't even playing today.

4 hours ago, MarcusX said:

They didn't beat Poland twice - one win and one draw. They also drew with Bosnia.

Given the quality of opposition I personally don't think you can read too much into it, but it goes without saying that they have a very squad and are absolutely capable of going very deep into the tournament. 

42 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

They didn't beat Poland twice - one win and one draw. They also drew with Bosnia.

Given the quality of opposition I personally don't think you can read too much into it, but it goes without saying that they have a very squad and are absolutely capable of going very deep into the tournament. 

Sorry looks like I got my words mixed up, meant two games against Holland I think ?

Dunno if anyone on here watched it, thought Italy were pretty good.

Turkey qualified in quite good style and haven't lost many in a couple of years. Didn't do much though, bit disappointed in them as usually quite technically sound.

Only one game but Italy aren't necessarily the Italy of old, defensively sound absolutely but more possession and absolutely more pressing than the old Cattenaccio stereotype. Don't seem that clinical though.

Ironically, they probably had more talented players  15-20, let alone 25-30 years ago but often a much more defensive mindset. They'll certainly be strong opposition.

8 hours ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Pretty decent range of opposition tbh in the last 3 years. Away in Poland is a difficult game, Holland have stepped up, Bosnia don't lose many at home.

Not necessarily just the results but the manner of the displays. Since Italy went all in under Mancini on a high possession with positive pressing 4-3-3 they've generally dominated everyone.

12 hours ago, NcnsBcfc said:

Would go with Foden, Kane & either Rashford or Sterling in the front 3.

Then Mount, Grealish, probably Rice in the centre in midfield. If not Rice, then Phillips can do a decent job as well (depending on fitness)

At the back is where we have issues. Pace wise probably Walker at rb, but defensively he's a liability; otherwise James there. In the centre Stones (Good at set pieces); but who to put alongside him, Mings is the left footed option; but like Walker he always looks like a mistake waiting to happen. He'll probably get the nod though as Maguire isn't available. It's definitely in the centre where we have our issues.

At left back I'd put Chillwell, backed up by Shaw if needed. I think he's a better all round option in that position. We also have Trippier as well for either left or right back,

Goalkeeper wise, it'll probably be Pickford; but I thought Johnstone did very well against Romania (albeit it was Romania). In a team with very little tournament experience though, he'll go for Pickford.

We've got a decent squad i think. Lots of young talent coming through. Looking forward to the games now.?

Swap Foden and Mount around and I agree. Not sure about Mount back in CM.

Maybe:

Grealish Rice Foden

Sterling Kane Mount

Left to right, others can jig however, but 4-3-3. With reserves as you mention such as Phillips, Rashford, plus Sancho to name 3 there are a lot of grounds for positivity.

31 minutes ago, Red Army 75 said:

Can’t quite believe Foden might not start. Been in sensational form for Man City and has kept Sterling out of the side. Also Grealish could be benched. Just paper talk at the moment but for me that will be disappointing.

None of that would surprise me. He’s going to start Sterling and set up a defensive midfield 3.

Really should have got rid of Southgate last year. He’s out blocker to actually winning something right now. 

Archived