IGNORED

Euro 2021/21

daored

8 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Dunno if anyone on here watched it, thought Italy were pretty good.

Turkey qualified in quite good style and haven't lost many in a couple of years. Didn't do much though, bit disappointed in them as usually quite technically sound.

Only one game but Italy aren't necessarily the Italy of old, defensively sound absolutely but more possession and absolutely more pressing than the old Cattenaccio stereotype. Don't seem that clinical though.

Ironically, they probably had more talented players  15-20, let alone 25-30 years ago but often a much more defensive mindset. They'll certainly be strong opposition.

Italy look like exactly the sort of team historically we'd struggle against. Effective at keeping possession, excellent defending and shape - but able to break and find opportunities when they need to.

Thought they were really professional and disciplined.

1 hour ago, Red Army 75 said:

Can’t quite believe Foden might not start. Been in sensational form for Man City and has kept Sterling out of the side. Also Grealish could be benched. Just paper talk at the moment but for me that will be disappointing.

Would be a shame.. if it were up to me, I'd like to see us play something like this. Fullbacks can be interchanged, no issue with this team but Chilwell/James starting.

Pickford

Walker, Stones, Maguire (if not fit then White), Shaw

Rice, Bellingham

Mount

Grealish, Kane, Foden

Realistically he's never going to go with that and obviously it's a bit frail defensively. I think on paper though that's our most exciting and attacking side which would worry the opposition. I don't see any reason why we can't play a side like that in our group games at the very least though. 

8 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Would be a shame.. if it were up to me, I'd like to see us play something like this. Fullbacks can be interchanged, no issue with this team but Chilwell/James starting.

Pickford

Rice, Bellingham

Mount

Grealish, Kane, Foden

Realistically he's never going to go with that and obviously it's a bit frail defensively. I think on paper though that's our most exciting and attacking side which would worry the opposition. I don't see any reason why we can't play a side like that in our group games at the very least though. 

Agree. I just see it as going into the tournament you pick the players who have been on form too hopefully carry on their momentum . Whilst Grealish has been injured he has played the last two games . He makes things happen and constantly draws fouls . If Southgate sets up more defensively minded IMO Croatia will take advantage of that 

19 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Pickford

Rice, Bellingham

Mount

Grealish, Kane, Foden

Realistically he's never going to go with that and obviously it's a bit frail defensively. I think on paper though that's our most exciting and attacking side

Only problem with that front 3 is no real pace. One out of Rashford/Sterling/Sancho at least gives us some speed on the break.

1 hour ago, robin_unreliant said:

Only problem with that front 3 is no real pace. One out of Rashford/Sterling/Sancho at least gives us some speed on the break.

Agreed, I heard pundits saying this in one of the friendlies. That's why I think he will do as you've said and play at least 1 of Rashford/Sterling/Sancho. If he was bold he could then drop Mount deeper (he's a nailed on starter I think) in place of Bellingham and then play Grealish or Foden as the most advanced midfielder. 

2 hours ago, Red Army 75 said:

Can’t quite believe Foden might not start. Been in sensational form for Man City and has kept Sterling out of the side. Also Grealish could be benched. Just paper talk at the moment but for me that will be disappointing.

I think that would be my turning point on Southgate tbh. I don’t know what can be seen in training that overrules the sensational season Fodens had and what Grealish has shown in an England shirt. 

1 minute ago, MarcusX said:

I think that would be my turning point on Southgate tbh. I don’t know what can be seen in training that overrules the sensational season Fodens had and what Grealish has shown in an England shirt. 

They only reasoning would be the need for raw pace I think. Sterling always underwhelms me for England. 

1 hour ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Italy look like exactly the sort of team historically we'd struggle against. Effective at keeping possession, excellent defending and shape - but able to break and find opportunities when they need to.

Thought they were really professional and disciplined.

Over 20 shots, more than break when they need to tbh.

Not saying they'd dominate v us but don't think we would either. Could be a fairly even game, but while we would have the better attack, they would perhaps have the better defence albeit one with aging centre backs that can be vulnerable.

Who would have more possession? Difficult to say but they even hit mid to high 60's v Portugal in 2019, but perhaps didn't create enough. Approaching 60% away to Holland too in Nations League.

12 minutes ago, petehinton said:

Find the general wankfest over wales in 2016 a bit odd - they seem to gloss over how a decent chunk of that squad (and basically the scorers of all their big goals) are English ?

They can’t help being born in England, everyone deep down wishes they could be born in gods country ?

image.thumb.jpeg.4710acd80ed354756062f110eace0831.jpeg

Just now, Super said:

Given how bad Turkey were every chance they will get out the group.

If they play like they did last night, definitely! Both Wales & Switzerland would probably take a draw today if Turkey play that badly against them.

Turkey are something of an enigma. Beat France in qualifying for this Euros, and beat Holland in World Cup qualifying back in March, so they must be quite good. But they looked dreadful yesterday.

2 minutes ago, AberRed said:

If they play like they did last night, definitely! Both Wales & Switzerland would probably take a draw today if Turkey play that badly against them.

Turkey are something of an enigma. Beat France in qualifying for this Euros, and beat Holland in World Cup qualifying back in March, so they must be quite good. But they looked dreadful yesterday.

I think much of that might be down to how shit hot Italy look!

32 minutes ago, RedorDead BCFC said:

They can’t help being born in England, everyone deep down wishes they could be born in gods country ?

image.thumb.jpeg.4710acd80ed354756062f110eace0831.jpeg

The reason Wales is so green is because it always rains.

Spent a week there on holiday once at Pendine sands and it rained all week,vowed never to go back.Give me Dorset all day long.

Was just checking Severovic on Wikipedia and he does that miss. I thought he doesn't look very prolific (which is a shame because they look a tidy team) but he has actually scored more than 1 in 2 for Benfica. Probably should have been a pen to Switzerland, my issue with them is that I can see them creating lots of chances before scoring. Wales can definitely do damage at the other end but haven't shown much going forward, would like to see the Welsh win and if they take an early chance in the 2nd half it will set the game up beautifully.

1 minute ago, Lanterne Rouge said:

Huge let off at the end, all the Swiss bloke had to do was get it on target.

That Seferovic who missed that is awful. 
Seen him play quite a few times and he seems to need about 37 chances for a goal! 

1 minute ago, BCFCGav said:

Swiss have left their shooting boots at home. Wales need to change something, not sure Rob Page is the master tactician to inspire it. 

As above, Seferovic doesn’t own a pair of shooting boots, I don’t think. ?

5 minutes ago, Harry said:

That Seferovic who missed that is awful. 
Seen him play quite a few times and he seems to need about 37 chances for a goal! 

Was just about to post the same. Never seen him play at club level but he's been banging them in for Benfica.

In contrast, Sommer always seems to play well, good keeper.

Archived