IGNORED

Euro 2021/21

daored

5 minutes ago, 2015 said:

Trippier at LB over Shaw and Chilwell. 

I fear the worst for the Tournament I can't lie

Really hope that’s not true, it ruins the whole balance of the side. Surely it’s an obvious selection to start the left back of the Champions League winners. 

6 minutes ago, Redpool said:

No Grealish apparently 

Midfield 3 of Phillips, Rice and Mount 

Foden, Kane, Sterling up top

Southgate is going to ruin our best opportunity in decades 

Seems fine to me, might have started Bellingham instead of Phillips. Tripper at LB however would be a ridiculous decision

7 minutes ago, 2015 said:

You seem absolutely desperate to get the Tournament cancelled ever since Eriksen went down and it's very weird. The players could have also wanted to play.

Strange

Strange post from you. I’ve not said that at all.  We can all just make stuff up but pretty childish. 

2 minutes ago, And Its Smith said:

Strange post from you. I’ve not said that at all.  We can all just make stuff up but pretty childish. 

You have been banging the drum ever since Eriksen went down about games being cancelled, just find it a bit weird, just get on with it now, Eriksen is stable and in the right hands.

Trippier must have compromising photos at Gareth if he has to be forced into the side at LB, how Shaw and Chillwell must feel to see a RB playing ahead of them at a major tournament.

All I’ll say is lose today, win the other two, hope Croatia win all 3 and they can face 2nd place of France, Germany or Portgugal and not us….

If (and it’s probably a bit if) that the ‘predictions’ will be true, no biggie imo. Trippier looked good there in the week. Would much rather save Grealish et al for later in the game & also for Scotland. 

Could be a lot of people on Twitter left feeling pretty stupid if we win today given the amount of stick Southgate is getting before the team is even announced ??

My concern about leaving Grealish out is that set piece goals are a massive part of tournament football, 15 of 32 teams at the 2018 World Cup scored 50% of their goals for set pieces. So to leave the player who wins you the most fouls out while still being a very good player isn't a move I'd think wise.

If that’s the side, makes a mockery of his ‘I will pick players on form’ line (again).

His instinct is cautious and he clearly likes a fast player ahead of Kane. As both club Euro finals showed maybe he is right, who knows, to be defensive first and foremost. Let’s hope Sterling finds some form, he should certainly be fresh enough. Trippier is the one that stands out as much higher risk.

Anyhow, feel he would be happy enough with a draw tbh. I came out of our first game in ‘96 having drawn 1-1 with Switzerland thinking ‘we are a bit rubbish again’ and it ended up we were ok overall, so who knows.

1 hour ago, Lrrr said:

Trippier must have compromising photos at Gareth if he has to be forced into the side at LB, how Shaw and Chillwell must feel to see a RB playing ahead of them at a major tournament.

All I’ll say is lose today, win the other two, hope Croatia win all 3 and they can face 2nd place of France, Germany or Portgugal and not us….

Only downside with that is that we would end up playing the winner of that group in the QF going by form. Think we have a fighters chance v Germany or Portugal at home in the R16.  France are the best team in it in my view and we would not be facing them at home.

Don’t get the Trippier bashing. He’s played for the La Liga champions ffs. I’d have maybe gone Chilwell to start but Trippier ain’t terrible (cue own goal :) )

My biggest worry is Tyrone Mings. Looks a championship CB at best. I’d have gone for Ben White myself. He even reminds me of Southgate when he plays.

Also worth remembering that we can play 5 subs so plenty of our other attacking talent should come on at some point

Honestly don’t mind that team. rebic is a lump which would make Mings slightly less stupid of a choice. Sterling (and probably Trippier) is needed because of experience, if most of the fans had their way we’d have a ridiculously open team full of players that haven’t played at a major tournament yet 

I have concerns about the defence. I don't want to bash Trippier as I think he's an excellent player but he's on the wrong side for me, much more effective on the right. I would have gone with Luke Shaw. Stones will have to be at his best and cut out the laxity of concentration that can let him down and while i like Mings i don't know if he has it at the highest level. We will need to keep the ball well and Fiden, Mount, Sterling and Kane are going to have to bring their A games against a team like Croatia who are more than capable of exploiting any weakness. 

Archived