IGNORED

Euro 2021/21

daored

Draw was about fair, expected a closer game than some predictions out there but still saw an England win. Stones hit post early, but James did clear off the line.

Why doesn't Grealish start? Shame TAA was injured, he could have been a real outlet but all sides seem to have injuries or many going into this tournament so It's not a real excuse.

Czech Republic next, we beat them 5-0 in a qualifier at Wembley, does anyone predict a repeat? That said they beat us in Prague, as we gradually lost control of midfield.

Sancho and Bellingham could come in, when Maguire gets fit he can give us another outlet.

At least Shaw tried to get behind the Scottish defence, James continually passed backwards when facing up the full back and he's better than that. Mentally, England were a yard short. They have time and a game against the Czechs to increase their intensity. Pass the ball forward, keep it moving and take some risks. Forget this performance and win on Tuesday.

2 minutes ago, Atticus said:

Its the same every tournament. Its complete bollocks.

However, I would expect our players to be up for the fight against a Nation that clearly hates us. And one that was well up for it themselves and pushing well above their weight because of it. 

I don't like Southgate. Never liked him as a player, never rated him as a manager, and can't stand listening to him.

For me, he just talks in the same tone all the time, and I can't imagine that as a player, I would be able to be motivated by him.

The England players expect to just turn up and win sometimes. Today was one of those days. People suggesting 2/3-0 before the game are just deluded - we aren't that good.

I've also just realised as I type this, he reminds me exactly of Lee Johnson - just a better budget version of him.

LJ - average League 1 footballer, average L1/Championship manager. Southgate- average Premiership footballer, average Championship/Premiership/International manager.

Explains my dislike for both I guess :blink:

I was watching bits of the North Macedonia game the other day whilst I was on my split shift break with the boy, and I saw more passion and determination from those players than some of the England players today.

Kane also either doesn't look fit, or is trying not to get injured so any potential transfer gets scuppered.

How I'd go next

Pickford

James            Stones         Mings       Chillwell

Rice

Mount              Grealish

Foden                     Calvert-Lewin           Sancho

3 minutes ago, Reigate Red said:

There is another thread at the moment about "football now and then". I think back to 1996 and compare that to tonight's borefest and think modern football is a pale imitation.

Tonight England had no passion, intensity, idea or desire. Utter shite. 

It'll all be ok...

Gareth said we're gonna dust ourselves down & 'go again' ?

2 minutes ago, Taz said:

I don't like Southgate. Never liked him as a player, never rated him as a manager, and can't stand listening to him.

For me, he just talks in the same tone all the time, and I can't imagine that as a player, I would be able to be motivated by him.

The England players expect to just turn up and win sometimes. Today was one of those days. People suggesting 2/3-0 before the game are just deluded - we aren't that good.

I've also just realised as I type this, he reminds me exactly of Lee Johnson - just a better budget version of him.

LJ - average League 1 footballer, average L1/Championship manager. Southgate- average Premiership footballer, average Championship/Premiership/International manager.

Explains my dislike for both I guess :blink:

I was watching bits of the North Macedonia game the other day whilst I was on my split shift break with the boy, and I saw more passion and determination from those players than some of the England players today.

Kane also either doesn't look fit, or is trying not to get injured so any potential transfer gets scuppered.

I remember back when he was Boro manager. There was a reason they booted him out so quickly during his reign in the championship after they had been relegated. He is a yes man promoted from within. Typical FA DNA.

However, I dont think it is deluded to suggest 2/3-0 is beyond the realms of possibilities against Scotland. On paper we should be. Scotland are not good. I wouldnt even say they are mediocre. If it wasnt for the rule changes to the Euros they would still be in the wilderness. 

Until a week ago I had no idea when England were playing, as I’d lost interest in watching after years of disappointment. This match confirmed my lack of interest was the correct decision. 

9 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Draw was about fair, expected a closer game than some predictions out there but still saw an England win. Stones hit post early, but James did clear off the line.

Why doesn't Grealish start? Shame TAA was injured, he could have been a real outlet but all sides seem to have injuries or many going into this tournament so It's not a real excuse.

Czech Republic next, we beat them 5-0 in a qualifier at Wembley, does anyone predict a repeat? That said they beat us in Prague, as we gradually lost control of midfield.

Sancho and Bellingham could come in, when Maguire gets fit he can give us another outlet.

Agreed most but the one James saved off the line was going wide.

over reaction by souness a draw was fair result with a shite England side

15 minutes ago, Show Me The Money! said:

Yeah, maybe. In 96 though we were poor in the first game, got a bit of luck against Scotland. 98 was an if only. Who knows where we’d got to had we got past the argies.

Only tournament I can ever remember watching where we actually looked good was in 82. Went out of that tournament without losing a game. 

I don’t remember it too well apart from Bryan Robson

3 minutes ago, Bannerman said:

Agreed most but the one James saved off the line was going wide.

over reaction by souness a draw was fair result with a shite England side

Good point.

As for Souness, It's Scotland's Cup Final and while I agree, can see his point, as all they need to do is beat Croatia at Hampden and highly likely they're then through. Out of Group Stage for the first time ever.

5 minutes ago, Redinthehead said:

That was poor. We just don’t have a midfield. There’s such a gap between the defensive line (including Phillips and Rice) and the attackers it makes it very different to try and build an attack. The lack of midfielders in the squad makes it hard to resolve as well.

Move Mason Mount back one and leave Phillips or Rice out.

On a side note.

Given the relative scepticism of Keane, Neville and Vieira in analysis after Italy's second 3-0 win, vs a decent European side. Italy are approaching 30 unbeaten and no goals conceded in 10.

They were not terribly effusive, bit of damning with faint praise I thought, but ultimately not good enough to win they said.

They may not be but what does that say about our chances?? So far anyway.

43 minutes ago, Lrrr said:

Have we secretly employed the rugby selection policy of not picking players who play abroad (other then Bellingham's token appearance and Trippier who Southgate loves picking)

Yeah why didn't Southgate select more players that play abroad. Except for the two you mentioned... oh and Sancho... but yeah he should have picked more! 

I don’t think Wrighty was very impressed with Southgate taking Foden off that’s for sure. 

Can’t understand why Southgate wasn't asked about that decision rather than asking him about Kane - who we all knew played crap. 

No doubt Southgate would have blabbed on about keeping the shape, but that needed changing even more than the personnel.

Archived