IGNORED

Euro 2021/21

daored

11 minutes ago, steviestevieneville said:

I get sick to death of it. Only the plucky jocks & taffs have heart & passion. Absolute bollocks . Plus some of our fans wanting them to do well. They absolutely detest us . Remember the welsh players celebrating when we got knocked out by Iceland ? 
**** the lot of um. 

Thanks.

1 hour ago, Banned User said:

Unrelated.. any books you'd suggest re psychology (broad subject, I know) for the general reader? I have a passive interest and like to read.

There is one I would look to because while it centres on sport the mental approaches it outlines apply to wider life, it is also set out in a unusual alphabetic order and across three sections for coach and athlete .. Its called coaching the mental game by H A Dorfman. 

14 minutes ago, Cowshed said:

There is one I would look to because while it centres on sport the mental approaches it outlines apply to wider life, it is also set out in a unusual alphabetic order and across three sections for coach and athlete .. Its called coaching the mental game by H A Dorfman. 

Thank you.

image.png.08a82f3981fb45b5603ee1f498ce2c2f.png

I see this morning that due to last nights results England are through, even if we finish 3rd.

Looking at the possible fixtures ahead, a draw or even defeat to the Czechs would be the better outcome.

It's an odd one, you certainly don't play to lose but a draw or win for the Czechs does them no favours at all, same for an England win.

2 minutes ago, Gazred said:

I see this morning that due to last nights results England are through, even if we finish 3rd.

Looking at the possible fixtures ahead, a draw or even defeat to the Czechs would be the better outcome.

It's an odd one, you certainly don't play to lose but a draw or win for the Czechs does them no favours at all, same for an England win.

It has been pointed out from the date of the draw for the groups that a second place in England's group could provide the most favourable game in the next round.

11 minutes ago, redysteadygo said:

It has been pointed out from the date of the draw for the groups that a second place in England's group could provide the most favourable game in the next round.

Yep, as long as Spain can be avoided a last 16 tie against Slovakia, Sweden or Poland would be ideal.

I think the other way of looking at it is if we play poorly and draw/lose tonight then we have no momentum and the nation will turn their back on the team etc. Things always become difficult when that happens. I think in many ways we should go for the win tonight and start that momentum tonight. We will have to beat good teams to win this thing so pointless in many avoiding them - would actually be better to win group and then beat a Germany or Portugal to give the team confidence they can beat big teams at a big tournament.

Personally think it would be better to go out and win the group and not worry about opponent but its still interesting looking at the possible routes. If you want to go as far as possible then finishing 3rd might be best strangely (especially if Spain are runners up in Group E).

eng1.png

9 hours ago, steviestevieneville said:

You’re welcome 

You’d do well to recognise that most people in Britain are not 100% English. Many OTIB members have Welsh, Irish, Scottish and other, more varied antecedents. I consider myself English having been born in England and lived 90% of my time here - but genetically I’m probably 50% Welsh.

Your dumb hate of other nationalities (or mixes) doesn’t sit well with intelligent readers.

12 minutes ago, Northern Red said:

It's as if nobody remembers Iceland. 

Win the group then worry about the rest of it later.

This is exactly it on the momentum thing. Take one game as it goes and build the momentum - starting tonight. We win 2-0 with a comfortable performance tonight then sneak through in a tough next round game then it builds and anything can happen.

28 minutes ago, Leveller said:

You’d do well to recognise that most people in Britain are not 100% English. Many OTIB members have Welsh, Irish, Scottish and other, more varied antecedents. I consider myself English having been born in England and lived 90% of my time here - but genetically I’m probably 50% Welsh.

Your dumb hate of other nationalities (or mixes) doesn’t sit well with intelligent readers.

Could you explain the other nations dumb hate of us then please? Believe me after living amongst many taffs and jocks for a long time their hatred if us is immensely more intense than ours of them.

14 minutes ago, frenchred said:

Could you explain the other nations dumb hate of us then please? Believe me after living amongst many taffs and jocks for a long time their hatred if us is immensely more intense than ours of them.

I work with a lot of Welsh and Scottish and have done for years.  To say that they ‘hate us’ is absolutely ridiculous. Hates a really strong word to me so I guess it depends on your interpretation and no doubt they take the piss royally if they were to better us but then that would be the same the other way around.  It’s just healthy competition and the banter that goes with it. 

13 minutes ago, frenchred said:

In my experience, the vast majority of Scots and Welsh do not "hate" the English - although they may have issues with what they see as the English-dominated Westminster parliament.  What they do love to see is the England football team lose.

I feel the same way about the Gas. I have mates who support the Fewers. In the 80s, I was going out with a girl who was a fanatical Gashead. I certainly don't hate their fans.  However, I want their team to lose every time they play.  It amuses me endlessly. 

1 hour ago, Gazred said:

Disagree. Winning football games creates momentum, which is worth far more than a supposed "favourable" draw. What makes Sweden or Poland more preferable to Spain considering Spain couldn't beat them?

International football, and tournament football in general, especially at the knockout stage is about far more than names on a teamsheet or historical success of a nation. It's about momentum, confidence, team spirit, hard work - look at Wales and Iceland in 2016 for example.

8 minutes ago, MarcusX said:

Disagree. Winning football games creates momentum, which is worth far more than a supposed "favourable" draw. What makes Sweden or Poland more preferable to Spain considering Spain couldn't beat them?

International football, and tournament football in general, especially at the knockout stage is about far more than names on a teamsheet or historical success of a nation. It's about momentum, confidence, team spirit, hard work - look at Wales and Iceland in 2016 for example.

Yeh i'd agree with that. I'm probably spending too much time looking at it from a fixtures perspective only.

I mean if you take Denmark and what happened to them in their first fixture, those home games and last nights cracking performance against Russia has all helped create a spirit and momentum. Wales are in for a tough game.

Having watched England since Mexico 86 only in 90 and 96 has it felt like we had any kind of belief or momentum. Perhaps you are right and a strong performance tonight sets us up to compete well regardless of the next opponent. Really don't fancy playing the French though (probably in part as Mrs and in-laws are French!).

1 hour ago, Baba Yaga said:

Personally think it would be better to go out and win the group and not worry about opponent but its still interesting looking at the possible routes. If you want to go as far as possible then finishing 3rd might be best strangely (especially if Spain are runners up in Group E).

eng1.png

We certainly don't want to face Netherlands and then Wales / Denmark in Baku.

Winning the group is the least amount of travelling too which could be a factor. Personally want us to play Saturday rather than Friday if we get through too

1 hour ago, Leveller said:

My mrs is genetically 100% welsh (well, 2 welsh parents, probably not 100% but 90%+), but born in England, lived all her life here except a couple of years at Cardiff Uni. She's English for football as her Dad doesn't really care for it but Welsh for Rugby because that's his sport and his team.

Got to go for the win for me. Get Kane a goal, get some momentum. Get some fear factor. Keep home advantage. 

Yeah you can say we avoid the group of death in the last 16 if we finish 2nd, but reality is you're simply putting off the inevitable, as we'd likely play that same team in the next game (quarters) anyway.

Finish 3rd in the group and I believe it would likely be Italy in the quarters.

If you want to do well, which for me is getting into the semi's, we'll have to beat a quality team.

There's no "easy" route, so no point hiding from anyone. Lose tonight just to win the last 16 and then go out anyway in the quarters with a whimper? Not for me. 

13 minutes ago, Lrrr said:

So Chilwell and Mount have to isolate for a week apparently after testing negative but not Scottish players have to isolate, good consistency.

Have to say this is quite infuriating. How the hell does it not effect the Scotland squad? Who acutally governs these decisions?

Really struggling to see any sense in this at all. It seems like we don't have to do this and it's just a decision that the team/FA have made as a precaution.

49 minutes ago, Lrrr said:

So Chilwell and Mount have to isolate for a week apparently after testing negative but not Scottish players have to isolate, good consistency.

33 minutes ago, Gazred said:

Have to say this is quite infuriating. How the hell does it not effect the Scotland squad? Who acutally governs these decisions?

Really struggling to see any sense in this at all. It seems like we don't have to do this and it's just a decision that the team/FA have made as a precaution.

Outside of the ‘bubble’ - all players told Not to spend time outside of the game with other team players. Mount and chilwell were with Gilmour for half an hour post match. Stupid rules but also so pretty ******* stupid of them to do so when they know the risks. 

Lesson learned for all players now at least. 

13 minutes ago, petehinton said:

Outside of the ‘bubble’ - all players told Not to spend time outside of the game with other team players. Mount and chilwell were with Gilmour for half an hour post match. Stupid rules but also so pretty ******* stupid of them to do so when they know the risks. 

Lesson learned for all players now at least. 

Where did you see that? If that's true is bloody stupid that they've done that but still, Covid doesn't know about "bubbles" it still doesn't seem logical that Scotland players are "safe"

10 minutes ago, pillred said:

If we top the group Chilwell and Mount will be eligible for the last 16 game played 29th June, well there's a good a reason as any to go all out for the win tonight.  

But won't have trained with the team all week, so no tactical work etc so unlikely to start the last 16 game

Archived