IGNORED

Euro 2021/21

daored

2 hours ago, Northern Red said:

Commemorative DVD out later this week.

Rooney going off injured in the QF in 2004 is the one for me, I remain convinced we'd have won the whole thing without that.

Something that made me laugh yesterday was a few Scots saying we celebrated yesterday like we had won the tournament. Have they forgotten that they smashed us out the park in terms of that when celebrating their famous 0-0 win at Wembley, so much so that I reckon they could give Swindon fans a run for their money............... 

4 hours ago, exAtyeoMax said:

For me, it was another event that somehow ruined our chances, again. Like Michael Owen getting injured in the first five minutes, Becks' metatarsal, a dodgy ref decision…(not necessarily listed in chronological order)

Beckham's injury was the worst of both worlds. He was injured but still played being ineffective and costing us when in the lead vs Brazil when he jumped out of a tackle in the move that led to the equaliser.

This is the sort of thing Southgate has learned from. He's not allowed himself to be dominated by media talk etc. He probably would've left Beckham out as he was injured. But Sven was far more interested with his image and media approval. 

There was a quote after that game from a source in the England camp that the players needed Winston Churchill at half time but got Iain Duncan-Smith instead.  It's obvious who came up with that.

1 hour ago, The Bard said:

Beckham's injury was the worst of both worlds. He was injured but still played being ineffective and costing us when in the lead vs Brazil when he jumped out of a tackle in the move that led to the equaliser.

This is the sort of thing Southgate has learned from. He's not allowed himself to be dominated by media talk etc. He probably would've left Beckham out as he was injured. But Sven was far more interested with his image and media approval. 

There was a quote after that game from a source in the England camp that the players needed Winston Churchill at half time but got Iain Duncan-Smith instead.  It's obvious who came up with that.

We now have more of a team ethic instead of relying on one player, more of a squad that each bring something to the team. It sometimes felt like Becks was carrying the team, much like Bale/Ramsey for Wales and Ronaldo for Portugal. We certainly have the depth of squad to survive a few injuries

55 minutes ago, exAtyeoMax said:

We now have more of a team ethic instead of relying on one player, more of a squad that each bring something to the team. It sometimes felt like Becks was carrying the team, much like Bale/Ramsey for Wales and Ronaldo for Portugal. We certainly have the depth of squad to survive a few injuries

Apart from that Greece game he never carried the team. Eriksson's mistake was elevating him to that status which wasn't borne out by his and the rest of the players' talents. There were a number of excellent players who suffered due to mismanagement imo. Scholes and Mcmanaman specifically but also Gerrard Lampard and Carrick. An imaginative coach would've got a better tune out of that lot especially when you consider we had Ferdinand and Cole in defence and Owen up front.

This cult of personality really hindered us and carried on until Southgate took over and quietly moved Rooney out of the picture. 

5 minutes ago, Maesknoll Red said:

I thought it was harsh, that said, the standard of refereeing so far has been pretty good.

Can’t say I was surprised when the red came out, but probably also one of those that looks worse on the VAR slow motion etc. But I agree, think the officials have been outstanding so far in the tournament. 

Archived