IGNORED

Euro 2021/21

daored

Have to say an excellent tournament so far. Loving all the games. Italy nice football and easy on the eye, despite some of the old injury time nonsense.

Shame they have to come up short at the final hurdle.

It's coming home, it's coming home

23 minutes ago, cityexile said:

Got to be favorites now.

Big, strong, hugely committed and hard working, move the ball so quickly and fun to watch. Throw in some old fashioned gamesmanship in the last ten...been consistently good throughout.

They are amazing. The way they pass the ball around, you'd think they play together every week. So much more pace than England too

6 minutes ago, Marco the red said:

Yes but depends how many of them are crocked now.

They’ll miss Spinazzola for sure, assuming he’s out. He’s been exceptional.

On the other hand, they got tonight done in 90 minutes whilst Spain have had two gruelling extra times now, so that might help them.  

If we can navigate our through tomorrow night it’s massively in our hands IMO. I think people are underestimating how huge having 60 k England fans in Wembley for the semi’s and final will be - it will be a huge advantage.
No doubting the Italian’s have played the best football so far this tournament but we all know and the Italian’s should know better than anyone that defensive pragmatic football can and more often than not is the style that win’s these tournaments..

4 minutes ago, italian dave said:

They’ll miss Spinazzola for sure, assuming he’s out. He’s been exceptional.

On the other hand, they got tonight done in 90 minutes whilst Spain have had two gruelling extra times now, so that might help them.  

Snapped his Achilles apparently. Massive shame for him

A lot saying the second goal was brilliant but if you let a good player run at you while you back off, put you’re arms behind your back , turn sideways  & just stick out a leg then most decent players will pick their spot. I said it in the group games, the Belgian back three are way past their best . Good side Italy but any team will be if you let them play . 

Quite enjoyed that game, thought the penalty was a bit soft but modern football I guess. Likewise, the Freuler red card v Spain but who am I to argue with VAR. ?‍♂️

Didn't like the gamesmanship by Italy late on, but thought they were rather good in general.

5 minutes ago, steviestevieneville said:

A lot saying the second goal was brilliant but if you let a good player run at you while you back off, put you’re arms behind your back , turn sideways  & just stick out a leg then most decent players will pick their spot. I said it in the group games, the Belgian back three are way past their best . Good side Italy but any team will be if you let them play . 

Some pretty aging defenders I believe? Vermaelen was playing one of the games IIRC, he really must be mid 30's now?

4 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Quite enjoyed that game, thought the penalty was a bit soft but modern football I guess. Likewise, the Freuler red card v Spain but who am I to argue with VAR. ?‍♂️

Didn't like the gamesmanship by Italy late on, but thought they were rather good in general.

Some pretty aging defenders I believe? Vermaelen was playing one of the games IIRC, he really must be mid 30's now?

I generally think far too many soft free kicks are given for harmless body contact; however, I thought that was a stonewall penalty for a hefty shove with the arm, which he tried to disguise.

12 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

35 , vertongen 34 . Legs have gone . Italy swarmed all over them 

2 hours ago, bris red said:

If we can navigate our through tomorrow night it’s massively in our hands IMO. I think people are underestimating how huge having 60 k England fans in Wembley for the semi’s and final will be - it will be a huge advantage.
No doubting the Italian’s have played the best football so far this tournament but we all know and the Italian’s should know better than anyone that defensive pragmatic football can and more often than not is the style that win’s these tournaments..

They're pretty excellent at that as well!

15 minutes ago, Lrrr said:

Sancho rumoured to be starting, moves to Man Utd and gets in the starting team ?

In fairness to the manager he can probably see that Sancho has been distracted by this so with the doubt removed probably wants to get him playing. 

10 hours ago, Leveller said:

I generally think far too many soft free kicks are given for harmless body contact; however, I thought that was a stonewall penalty for a hefty shove with the arm, which he tried to disguise.

I’ve thought the same for a long time now. I’ve no problem with outlawing the tackle from behind  and stopping really dangerous challenges, but to me the apparent desire to “protect “ skilful players seems to have gone too far, and it appears that they want to remove any and all physical contact from the game.

Not only are free kicks being given for harmless body contact but, as evidenced by Italy last night, the most harmless contact sees players writhing around on the ground as though the need critical surgery.

I’m not sure whether this is as a result of referees following directives or that referees are too  naive and easily fooled by cynical players, or a combination of both.

From time to time I read about how today’s top players are far better than this of yesteryear - fitter, quicker, more skilful. If the italians had to contend with the pitches, ferocious tackling, really hard man defenders and the  of refereeing that George Best had to contend with, they would last about 5 minutes!

10 hours ago, grifty said:

Chiellini is 36 and Bonucci is 34 and kept Lukaku quiet

I think Lukaku’s mouth was about the only part of his body the Italian defenders didn't have their arms wrapped around all game!

14 minutes ago, downendcity said:

I think Lukaku’s mouth was about the only part of his body the Italian defenders didn't have their arms wrapped around all game!

I can see Kane getting a penalty or two if we play Italy - no one better than him at getting penalties, although VAR is now intrusive.

47 minutes ago, Lrrr said:

Sancho rumoured to be starting, moves to Man Utd and gets in the starting team ?

Interesting selection implications then. Sancho will play in a front 3 with Kane and Sterling.. so will be interesting to see what happens with the midfield. You’d assume Mount would come in and at least one of Rice/Phillips would be rested.

I wonder if he will go: 

Henderson - Mount

Grealish

Would be a far more attacking move. Mount can play a bit deeper also with Henderson being a pure defensive midfielder. 

Archived