IGNORED

Euro 2021/21

daored

6 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Was it strange though? A RB playing LB when we have two natural LBs in good form and leaving out a popular choice in Grealish. I don't think there was an 'overreaction' as such, just people discussing the team. There's always going to be a fair bit of hyperbole on here/twitter - you have to take things with a pinch of salt.

After seeing that team I can see why people were a bit baffled by the selection. Great that we got the job done though. 

People not wanted trippier and sterling to start is completely understandable its how they went about it which was a bit of an overreaction I agree with you there,

The reason I didn't want sterling starting was his club form has been awful, where as Jack had an outstanding season that was it for me 

Well….that was alright wasn’t it.

Another classic of pre-game negativity over team selection.  That is one of the most controlled performances I’ve seen from England in a while.  Croatia are a good side, used to playing together in a system, and they had a 15 minute spell in the first half and not a lot second half where we looked stretched.

Phillips playing that bit higher rather than alongside Rice worked really well as we stopped Modric (and Brosivic) dominating.

We made them chase us for decent spells….meaning they were tiring.  It’s normally us.  We showed patience to not force the killer pass too early.

A very good start, and takes a whole heap of pressure off the remaining group games.

13 minutes ago, italian dave said:

Just watched Tyrone Mings being interviewed by BBC. What a lovely guy.* So pleased to be there, so honest and natural. Didn’t know if it was a typical international championship performance because he’s never been in one before! 

*unless he’s stamping on your face!

Just now, italian dave said:

I can’t remember watching too many England teams where so many of the players I’ve also seen play against City in the past couple of years. Mount, Bellingham, Phillips, Mings would have done bar a suspension….maybe others?

Indeed, shows how far we've come as a team even if we are a bit shit

3 minutes ago, Will Rollason said:

One disappointment/worry for me was Pickford's kicking... That's why he's in the team.. Really poor today

Reminded me of Frank Fielding. Aside from that his handling was good and didn't have to make any difficult saves due to a solid back four. 

My concern was when we played the ball along the back line to Trippier. Better sides will press once he takes the ball back onto his right foot.

That was a decent win capped by the superb Kalvin Phillips. Knows how to break up play, shoot and deliver a killer pass.

Our first ever opening game win at a Euro Finals.

Lovely.

2 minutes ago, petehinton said:

I mean this kinda stuff. The gameplay was clear to clip balls in behind for runners - exactly what Sterling is. Grealish and Sancho better ball to feet. It’s a huge squad, will need different set ups for different games, hopefully a long tournament so need to have a look at everyone ??

873A6802-242F-4297-B44D-A4618DD93B1A.png

D8274286-6ED0-403B-879D-591514DF6DC0.jpeg

3CBA3ABB-0F18-4303-A795-69061DA8989A.jpeg

4B77615C-C2B5-4727-8EF0-00A15BF3C5C4.jpeg

Obviously there'll be negative comments but in fairness lots of those examples are just large-ish football pages finding ways to get engagement by capturing the current mood (ie this is a strange team selection).

I agree, hopefully we'll see plenty of the talent this squad has over the course of the tournament. Wasn't it Euro 2012 where we had Andy Carroll and Danny Welbeck up front? At least we've come a long way since then. 

I was really impressed with Mings today. Wouldn't have started him but he did a good job alongside Stones. 

2 minutes ago, italian dave said:

I can’t remember watching too many England teams where so many of the players I’ve also seen play against City in the past couple of years. Mount, Bellingham, Phillips, Mings would have done bar a suspension….maybe others?

Not sure, but quite likely:

- Pickford Bradford

- Stones Barnsley

- Trippier Burnley

too.  Someone can check

Just now, Davefevs said:

Not sure, but quite likely:

- Pickford Bradford

- Stones Barnsley

- Trippier Burnley

too.  Someone can check

6 minutes ago, italian dave said:

Going back to the cup run:

- Rashford Man Utd, Sterling Man City

8 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Another classic of pre-game negativity over team selection.  That is one of the most controlled performances I’ve seen from England in a while.  Croatia are a good side, used to playing together in a system, and they had a 15 minute spell in the first half and not a lot second half where we looked stretched.

Phillips playing that bit higher rather than alongside Rice worked really well as we stopped Modric (and Brosivic) dominating.

We made them chase us for decent spells….meaning they were tiring.  It’s normally us.  We showed patience to not force the killer pass too early.

A very good start, and takes a whole heap of pressure off the remaining group games.

I thought Phillips and Mings were excellent. However playing a right footed left back is very cityesque; and i don't think Trippier had a particulary good game.

Croatia just didn't turn up, and were pretty toothless.

Foden was excellent for the first 15 mins, but thereafter somewhat anonymous. It's possble that Grealish comes in for the Scotland game, as they will defend so deep; and not allow us the space behind them.

Walker offensively was also poor, but his pace gets him out of the awkward situations; that he often creates in the first place.

Result is everything of course. Looking at the draw though, finishing second takes us into an easier draw against runner up of group E (probably Sweden or Poland).

If we win the group, then its France/Portugal or Germany in the next round.?. 3 place play group c winner (probably Holland)

Just like in the last world cup, sometimes it pays not to finish first in the initial group.?

5 minutes ago, cidercity1987 said:

Kane and Rice are probably the only two out of that starting 11 that we haven't played against 

Edit we have played Kane when he was at Millwall

Played for Millwall at ashton gate in 2011/12 we won thanks to micky naynard

13 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

I did not see anything wrong with the line up to be fair. But then I don't tend to spend too much time on the minutae; I mean what is the point? There is Gareth and all his assistants who are far more qualified than any of us by a country mile. Easy to be an arm chair critic and some fans will always be the same. Had Croatia got a late equaliser there would have been melt down on here!!

They have their reasons, both fitness form and reliability wise, for picking a certain player; none of us are privy to those things. And for some to say that Southgate is close to being an 'idiot' or a 'clueless' coach by picking Sterling over Sancho is utterly ridiculous and deserves derision.

Croatia were poor but a still a serious opponent. Great start to the tournament and hopefully there is more to come. I tend to be critical of Raheem Sterling but can't argue with his selection today (was still a bad miss from the set piece that fell to him though ?). Very pleased for Mings after the criticism he received, only one game but justifying his place so far. Trippier on the left was superb I thought. A difficult but fascinating last 16 tie is looking more likely now.

18 minutes ago, havanatopia said:

I did not see anything wrong with the line up to be fair. But then I don't tend to spend too much time on the minutae; I mean what is the point? There is Gareth and all his assistants who are far more qualified than any of us by a country mile. Easy to be an arm chair critic and some fans will always be the same. Had Croatia got a late equaliser there would have been melt down on here!!

They have their reasons, both fitness form and reliability wise, for picking a certain player; none of us are privy to those things. And for some to say that Southgate is close to being an 'idiot' or a 'clueless' coach by picking Sterling over Sancho is utterly ridiculous and deserves derision.

??????

43 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

An England team actually successfully managing a game for once. Tactically good from Southgate and well executed by the players.

47 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Exactly as Jose Mourinho said. England controlled the game. Two shots on target one of which resulted in the goal, and one on target for Croatia.  First time England have won their opening game in the Euros and first time Croatia have lost theirs. 

1 minute ago, E.G.Red said:

Exactly as Jose Mourinho said. England controlled the game. Two shots on target one of which resulted in the goal, and one on target for Croatia.  First time England have won their opening game in the Euros and first time Croatia have lost theirs. 

Meh, what would he know?

Archived