IGNORED

Euro 2021/21

daored

3 minutes ago, Numero Uno said:

Goes back to what @Fordy62said. It’s like an “orange” challenge if that existed. In the Prem you get one more chance, in Europe flip a coin!!

My feeling is that in a match like this the ref has the opportunity to demonstrate intelligence. 50-50 decision = exercise discretion. Red card decision ruins the match - as he must know. I'm thinking back to that ridiculous 'letter of the law' Semenyo sending off a season or two ago.

Of course if you love Italy or hate Wales it's a gift!

3 minutes ago, Red Exile said:

My feeling is that in a match like this the ref has the opportunity to demonstrate intelligence. 50-50 decision = exercise discretion. Red card decision ruins the match - as he must know. I'm thinking back to that ridiculous 'letter of the law' Semenyo sending off a season or two ago.

Of course if you love Italy or hate Wales it's a gift!

Yes, wouldn’t argue with that. If he’d given a yellow I don’t think he’d have had any arguments. And like @NorthBris_Southstand said earlier, no way VAR would have said otherwise. But equally no way VAR are going to over rule the red. It was dangerous. I thought Kieffer Moore was lucky to get away without a yellow just now for that elbow. 

Just now, italian dave said:

Yes, wouldn’t argue with that. If he’d given a yellow I don’t think he’d have had any arguments. And like @NorthBris_Southstand said earlier, no way VAR would have said otherwise. But equally no way VAR are going to over rule the red. It was dangerous. I thought Kieffer Moore was lucky to get away without a yellow just now for that elbow. 

Personally I love Italy...and had tickets to this match - and all their group matches in Rome - before the re-ballots

But Italy don't need the ref to help them out. Wales need all the help they can get!

2 minutes ago, Red Exile said:

Personally I love Italy...and had tickets to this match - and all their group matches in Rome - before the re-ballots

But Italy don't need the ref to help them out. Wales need all the help they can get!

Think they’ll both get what they want now! Shades of Coventry 77 just now!

1 minute ago, NorthBris_Southstand said:

Happy to get out of this with just a 1-0, especially so with 10 men. I really think Italy will do well. One of the few teams in this tournament with a truly top class manager. 

I think Italy were happy with a win and yet another clean sheet. 11 now, I think. And with pretty much a reserve side.

As for Wales, fantastic achievement to go through in second place. Just pray that their next game is on BBC and we don’t have to listen to another 90 minutes of John Hartson. By some distance the most irritating commentator so far for me. 

3 minutes ago, italian dave said:

I think Italy were happy with a win and yet another clean sheet. 11 now, I think. And with pretty much a reserve side.

As for Wales, fantastic achievement to go through in second place. Just pray that their next game is on BBC and we don’t have to listen to another 90 minutes of John Hartson. By some distance the most irritating commentator so far for me. 

BBC = Robbie Savage on comms though. Hartson over him every day of the week. 

7 minutes ago, italian dave said:

Not sure how “fantastic” it is to beat the worst team in the tournament (along with North Macedonia) & steal a point when outplayed by Switzerland.

With their luck they’ll get Russia & fluke a win.

3 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Not sure how “fantastic” it is to beat the worst team in the tournament (along with North Macedonia) & steal a point when outplayed by Switzerland.

When you don't make a major tournament for 50+ years it's pretty great actually. You say it's playing shit teams and flukes, but take Scotland as an example, have Never got out of a euros group stage. I'll take beating everyone's 'dark horse' and fluke draws all day long. 

3 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Yes, fair comment: I was just meaning overall, qualifying, getting to last 16 etc, rather than individual results. Mind you, seeing that Cardiff banner just now was a reminder that I don’t  want them going much further!

1 minute ago, NorthBris_Southstand said:

When you don't make a major tournament for 50+ years it's pretty great actually. You say it's playing shit teams and flukes, but take Scotland as an example, have Never got out of a euros group stage. I'll take beating everyone's 'dark horse' and fluke draws all day long. 

We (England) have been doing just that for decades, going out against the first decent team they play normally.

13 minutes ago, italian dave said:

Yep, Italy will go far I think. 

It's unfortunate the commentators we get lumped with, fortunately I'm emotionally invested enough in the game to either ignore them or buy into their Bias ?

18 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

The bitterness in you is strong. 
I may be Welsh I’ve always supported England over any team outside GB playing. 

31 minutes ago, RedorDead BCFC said:

The bitterness in you is strong. 
I may be Welsh I’ve always supported England over any team outside GB playing. 

Thanks.

I’m sure I’ll be overwhelmed with good wishes from Wales fans if England progress, just like they were so full of grace when Iceland knocked us out.

11 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Thanks.

I’m sure I’ll be overwhelmed with good wishes from Wales fans if England progress, just like they were so full of grace when Iceland knocked us out.

Agreed, we are close to wales and cardiff are huge rivals for us. The rivalry is huge in rugby, and as far as welsh sports teams are concerned, they are englands rivals and i prefer to see them lose. That is what sport is about and i wont apologise for it. 

13 hours ago, NorthBris_Southstand said:

When you don't make a major tournament for 50+ years it's pretty great actually. 

I'm not going to rubbish Wales achievement in qualifying, but they were in a major tournament semi-final just 5 years ago...

Archived