IGNORED

Euro 2021/21

daored

Just now, The Gasbuster said:

True, but it’s only 9 years since Spain won a major tournament.

We have now been waiting 55 ******* years !!

Also true but you can’t saddle the current players with the failures of everyone before them. We clearly need to think about how we approach games now but I’m convinced last night was a one off in terms of we were abysmal and we aren’t normally that bad. Pickford and Mings aside the rest of them were paralysed by the fear of losing to Scotland.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Numero Uno said:

Also true but you can’t saddle the current players with the failures of everyone before them. We clearly need to think about how we approach games now but I’m convinced last night was a one off in terms of we were abysmal and we aren’t normally that bad. Pickford and Mings aside the rest of them were paralysed by the fear of losing to Scotland.

I agree with your comment regarding Mings & Pickford

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Moments of Pleasure said:

Brave, heroic goal keeping there. Unlike Keef Waugh at Trumpton about '89 who didn't (perhaps understandably) fancy getting down and putting his mush in the way of Devon White's flailing boots and we drew 1:1.

Think you mean Keith Welch..

During the lull in match proceedings, just wondered what people thoughts are on the officials so far. For me, they’ve been brilliant, and definitely one of the stand outs from the tournament.

I know there’ll be the odd mistake someone will point to, but on the whole they have kept games flowing, allowed the right sort of contact, and it’s been great to see games where referees are not the centre of attention, and even more so where VAR is not the centre of attention. 

I don’t know how there managing VAR in comparison to the Prem, but it certainly works. 

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, italian dave said:

During the lull in match proceedings, just wondered what people thoughts are on the officials so far. For me, they’ve been brilliant, and definitely one of the stand outs from the tournament.

I know there’ll be the odd mistake someone will point to, but on the whole they have kept games flowing, allowed the right sort of contact, and it’s been great to see games where referees are not the centre of attention, and even more so where VAR is not the centre of attention. 

I don’t know how there managing VAR in comparison to the Prem, but it certainly works. 

Compared to prem the refs and VAR usage has been so much better. I still don’t like VAR but it’s been much improved because they aren’t messing around for minutes. It’s faster and only looking to overturn clear and obvious stuff. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, italian dave said:

I think they have been good overall. I did think the ref in England Scotland did well, perhaps a little bit niggly but by and large let the game flow. 

Edited by Phileas Fogg
  • Like 1

21 hours ago, BanburyRed said:

In fairness, yes he or the full back should've put head to ball instead of letting it bounce but the 2 centre halves were nowhere to be seen...I thought Adam had a good game, put in a real shift. We have to keep him in my opinion.

Was from an attacking free kick so they’d gone up. 

Yeah he was tidy apart from that. 

Have to say Joe Morrell gave it away a number of times in that first half. Poor misplaced passes and once caught in possession.

I thought Wales had a good spell at one point mid way through the half, but it's hard enough to keep Italy out without being sloppy and giving them opportunities to attack.

Morrell's man scored the goal on the cross from the free kick. Morrell was ball watching, as the pundits have just talked about.

The pace of the game is all a bit too fast for him. Hope he comes out and improves in the 2nd half.

I disagree with Hartson. I think the change of system is fine. Wales defence done well with a number of very dangerous driven balls into the box they have dealt with.

Wales have at times looked dangerous in forward areas. Very difficult now to get back in this. Just try and keep it 1-0 for as long as possible and hope they can score on the break or from a set piece. Would be mad to go for it imo.

Moore and Brooks late on would give italy something to worry about.