IGNORED

Euro 2021/21

daored

16 minutes ago, BS2 Red said:

I'm not going to rubbish Wales achievement in qualifying, but they were in a major tournament semi-final just 5 years ago...

Sorry yes should clarify, was referring to achievements both last euros and this. Pretty much every pundit was saying we were the worst team in the group, so to finish second is great. 

Also I don't think any Welsh fan is realistically expecting us to match what we did in 2016. 

Having said that, I'd fancy Russia or Finland in the next round. I'm sure now I've said that they'll bomb us out convincingly ?

12 hours ago, GrahamC said:

Thanks.

I’m sure I’ll be overwhelmed with good wishes from Wales fans if England progress, just like they were so full of grace when Iceland knocked us out.

Yep.

Though what I actually find more annoying are the tryhards who are English and actually couldn't give a shite about Wales and any success they have but are more than happy to use them to slag off England. There's a few on here who were doing that in 2016.

18 hours ago, Simon bristol said:

Agreed, we are close to wales and cardiff are huge rivals for us. The rivalry is huge in rugby, and as far as welsh sports teams are concerned, they are englands rivals and i prefer to see them lose. That is what sport is about and i wont apologise for it. 

I think to be fair there is slightly more nuance than that. There are a lot of families in Wales with a mix of Welsh/English heritage, so for example I'm 50/50 by grandparents but having been born and raised in Wales I feel Welsh (But support Bristol City which could be seen as a contradiction already). For me, we've always been more competitive in the Rugby and by default are always in Major tournaments against the English and so you pick a side. With football, up until 2016 it was more complicated. All my life up until that point Wales never qualified for any Euros/WC and my Dad is English so would be supporting England, with no Wales in the tournament I was happy to support the English, albeit without the same gusto or emotional attachment. In the past 2 euro's it's different, because my team is there, so I want to win and I want to do better than our rivals & as you said I don't think anyone should apologize for that because it's perfectly normal and natural to want your team to win or at least do better than our rivals. If Rovers ever managed to get further than us in a cup run, I sure as hell wouldn't be supporting them when city were knocked out!

Edit: I also get that for England fans you won't have had this issue as there has never been a time where Wales have qualified and England haven't.

5 minutes ago, NorthBris_Southstand said:

I think to be fair there is slightly more nuance than that. There are a lot of families in Wales with a mix of Welsh/English heritage, so for example I'm 50/50 by grandparents but having been born and raised in Wales I feel Welsh (But support Bristol City which could be seen as a contradiction already). For me, we've always been more competitive in the Rugby and by default are always in Major tournaments against the English and so you pick a side. With football, up until 2016 it was more complicated. All my life up until that point Wales never qualified for any Euros/WC and my Dad is English so would be supporting England, with no Wales in the tournament I was happy to support the English, albeit without the same gusto or emotional attachment. In the past 2 euro's it's different, because my team is there, so I want to win and I want to do better than our rivals & as you said I don't think anyone should apologize for that because it's perfectly normal and natural to want your team to win or at least do better than our rivals. If Rovers ever managed to get further than us in a cup run, I sure as hell wouldn't be supporting them when city were knocked out!

Edit: I also get that for England fans you won't have had this issue as there has never been a time where Wales have qualified and England haven't.

My dad was born in Wales, moved to WSM as a child, and supported City. He always supported England in the football, Wales more in the rugby. He died in 1989. 
I support both, so happy that Wales have qualified and doing well. As with England. 
I don’t really care that other nations want England to lose, they always do… we seem to anyway ??

36 minutes ago, Northern Red said:

Yep.

Though what I actually find more annoying are the tryhards who are English and actually couldn't give a shite about Wales and any success they have but are more than happy to use them to slag off England. There's a few on here who were doing that in 2016.

100%, you only have to look at the last 2-3 pages on here.  You have posters who do nothing but take an opportunity to slag England off and exactly the same with City. Why bother watching football if the teams you "support" give you that much grief and disappointment? You don't have to believe everything the media say about England being ready to smash the latest tournament, you don't have to believe it every time Steve Lansdown says "Top 6 this season ladies and gentlemen" when your own eyes tell you different and in the process raise your expectation levels to stupid and unrealistic. As a result Wales have shown "passion and commitment missing in England's players" whereas exactly the same results and outcome for England would equate to "scraping through, no passion and commitment". Find something different to do and improve your mental health!!

England have beaten Spain, Croatia and Belgium in competitive matches and lost to them all too. We beat a Poland side at home recently in a World Cup Qualifier that Spain couldn't beat the other night. I bet Spain's fans aren't throwing a wobbler. We punch at our weight given the quality available. We are weak in certain areas that stops us going that little bit further than we do, you've just got to be realistic about it...........one poor game against Scotland where we just didn't turn up, where EVERYONE knows we can play better than that, and the end of the world is nigh, football is finished in this country blah blah!! Bashing England FC is something that is a perverse national sport in this country, put Pep or Klopp in charge and we would be unbeatable.........apparently. When the Rugger Buggers get completely and utterly trounced by Scotland everyone seems to forget the comments they made about "far more pride and passion than the footballers" for some reason.

52 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Is there any good reason why the Euro rounds aren't drawn in the same way as other knockout competitions? Would make it a bit more exciting if we didn't know who was going to be drawn against each other. I imagine logistics, especially at the moment, but feels a bit of a shame. 

I would have said logistics is the logical answer, so teams no where they may have to travel to and fans getting tickets etc but given the shape of the 3rd place format you could be playing on one of 3-4 days in various locations and that wont be finalised until a few days before. 

1 hour ago, NorthBris_Southstand said:

Like you my grandparents on my mother’s side are 50/50 English Welsh. Grandfather was City through and we all followed him on this. I was born in Monmouthshire at a time I could be English or Welsh due to the borders changing. I’ve friends born same hospital who say they are English. It was a time that you choose who your parents were. 
I’ve got an English brother (he was born in Bristol) along with English wife and kids. So I’ve always been following England in football and even went with my brother to Euro 96 semi final. 
I also get stick from Welsh friends that I can’t possibly be Welsh as I support Bristol City. And I even got stick in one of the offices I work in Flax saying the same. Ironically they were Spurs and Man U fans saying it. 

7 minutes ago, RedorDead BCFC said:

Like you my grandparents on my mother’s side are 50/50 English Welsh. Grandfather was City through and we all followed him on this. I was born in Monmouthshire at a time I could be English or Welsh due to the borders changing. I’ve friends born same hospital who say they are English. It was a time that you choose who your parents were. 
I’ve got an English brother (he was born in Bristol) along with English wife and kids. So I’ve always been following England in football and even went with my brother to Euro 96 semi final. 
I also get stick from Welsh friends that I can’t possibly be Welsh as I support Bristol City. And I even got stick in one of the offices I work in Flax saying the same. Ironically they were Spurs and Man U fans saying it. 

They must have been very interesting times.

Out of interest, did you choose anybody famous?

2 hours ago, NorthBris_Southstand said:

Sorry yes should clarify, was referring to achievements both last euros and this. Pretty much every pundit was saying we were the worst team in the group, so to finish second is great. 

Also I don't think any Welsh fan is realistically expecting us to match what we did in 2016. 

Having said that, I'd fancy Russia or Finland in the next round. I'm sure now I've said that they'll bomb us out convincingly ?

I dunno about the chances of matching 2016. The quarter finals are certainly a realistic possibility for Wales. From there you never know, on paper Wales shouldn't have beaten Belgium last time...

2 hours ago, Moments of Pleasure said:

Gareth Bale: "Everybody writes us off all the time." 

I admire Wales. The passion in their national anthem and the players look like they want to play in the shirt.

If England had 20% of their passion we would do very well

3 minutes ago, MarcusX said:

Hope not, but probably. He doesn't look fit, worth given DCL a start and see what he can do

I thought I saw it confirmed that HK will be starting tomorrow. Could’ve been paper talk though…

https://www.skysports.com/football/news/12016/12337077/harry-kane-gareth-southgate-says-england-captain-will-start-against-czech-republic

11 minutes ago, TonyTonyTony said:

I admire Wales. The passion in their national anthem and the players look like they want to play in the shirt.

Passion is overhyped, passion alone does not win you anything, they have good players (Bale, Ramsey, James, Allen, Rodon) and a well structured team set up. They know what their game plan is going into each game, which England seem a little confused by based on the first 2 matches.

Sometimes think it's easier going into games as underdogs, your game plan is to simply just stop the opposition and when you get a chance counter as quick as possible, which Wales have the perfect players to do that with. 

England are tasked with breaking down stubborn opponents, and the weight of expectation of England is far greater than Wales which applies massive pressure on the players. Wales players can play with a bit more freedom and less pressure to perform.

I'm all for beating England with a stick after Friday and especially Southgate, but this 'passion' thing is a load of over used rubbish, they're an underestimated side and we're a side which does not cope well under pressure. England may well do better when they are the underdogs and have little expectation like we had before 2018.

Just now, TonyTonyTony said:

I disagree.

Why? 

Jus don't tell me England players aren't passionate, if you watched the last World Cup you'd know that they are.

You don't win things based on your passion for your Country ?

1 minute ago, 2015 said:

Why? 

Jus don't tell me England players aren't passionate, if you watched the last World Cup you'd know that they are.

You don't win things based on your passion for your Country ?

Well - ive witnessed the Welsh team huddles etc and compared to England. In my opinion its no contest. I never said passion alone makes you win - of course there are other factors (duh) but i reckon our lot could learn a bit of a lesson from the Welsh.

Dunno whether you have ever been to the rugby in Cardiff when Wales are playing....that'll tell you everything about what passion can do to inspire a team

Just now, TonyTonyTony said:

Well - ive witnessed the Welsh team huddles etc and compared to England. In my opinion its no contest. I never said passion alone makes you win - of course there are other factors (duh) but i reckon our lot could learn a bit of a lesson from the Welsh.

Dunno whether you have ever been to the rugby in Cardiff when Wales are playing....that'll tell you everything about what passion can do to inspire a team

The passion card is always used to batter England at every Sport and it's not true, in my opinion, it's not why we fail to produce the goods

They could learn a thing or 2 from Cricket and have Jerusalem as the Anthem which might inspire more passion though.

37 minutes ago, TonyTonyTony said:

I’m yet to see a detailed report which proves that having a national anthem which you can sing with vigour increases your chance of winning a sporting fixture. 

Don’t get me wrong, I enjoy a good anthem as much as anyone, but it bears zero relation to the result on the pitch. 

Said it before. England players play with fear knowing that any slightest mistake is going to lead to the media hammering them. There is nothing wrong with their passion and wanting to win games, but the media here go overboard. Prior June it’s coming home. One bad result it’s got to hammer someone as it is their fault and they let the country down. 

Archived