IGNORED

Euro 2021/21

daored

1 hour ago, phantom said:

Huge shock as Croatia knock out the current European Champions Scotland, just 4 days after they won Euro 2020 with a 0-0 win over England.

That has to be one of the funniest comebacks I have ever read on here, well done (wish I had thought of it).

Scottish pundits views on Croatia and Luca Modric.

Around 4.15 on 5Live I heard "they are not the side they were, most of their top players have gone, except Modric but he's about 103 now. This is Scotland's best chance to go through and I fully expect them to do so."

Immediately after the game I heard. "There's no disgrace in losing to Croatia, they are a top class side and in Modric they have one of the best players in the tournament"

Is this one of the quickest turn arounds in fortune of a team and player? 5.5 hours from also rans, to quality opponents. :)

Oh and the same Croatia the "overrated English side" beat 1-0.

10 hours ago, BanburyRed said:

What is the point of bringing on Mings? Clueless. We'll get destroyed in the next round if we finish top.

I'm fairly certain on most matters it's not Southgate that's clueless.

I'd imagine Stones had a knock, why else would you change a defender at that stage in a game? There was also a moment before that where Stones looked uncomfortable and had a discussion with Maguire

9 hours ago, robin_unreliant said:

No way England will get through against any of the  three potential teams we may face. GS wasted the warm up games and now has no idea of his best side. Too slow and disjointed to beat any of those three imo.

He didn't "waste" the warm up games, he had almost half his squad unavailable for selection because of the European Cup Finals

19 hours ago, Super said:

Actually think Scotland v Croatia might be the better watch tonight.

16 hours ago, Super said:

Phillips and Rice again? I'm watching the Jocks.

10 hours ago, Super said:

Why the negativity? Won the group fairly easily no injuries. Tournament starts now.

Hmmm? Probably one of the more negative posters about England!

9 minutes ago, MarcusX said:

He didn't "waste" the warm up games, he had almost half his squad unavailable for selection because of the European Cup Finals

really?  how come the german and french players also involved in the final managed to play a friendly for their countries before the euro,s?

6 minutes ago, frenchred said:

really?  how come the german and french players also involved in the final managed to play a friendly for their countries before the euro,s?

Kante didn't play the first France game, the second one was another 48 hours later.

Similiarly Havertz, Rudiger and Werner didn't play the first game and their second was 24 hours later than England's

I'm sure if Southgate and his team felt the players were fit and ready he would have played them. They've just played a gruelling season, players like Mount have played almost every game. They needed a break. We had 5-6 players carrying knocks or concerns going into those warm up games!

There's some things Southgate will do that many of us wont agree with, but we don't have the insight behind the scenes. I'm sure Southgate didn't choose to "waste" those warm up games.

We're all behind Nagy and Hungary tonight though right??

7 minutes ago, steveybadger said:

If it was in Budapest there would be a glimmer, but not in Munich

Question for anyone

We would all prefer Hungary over Germany, Portugal or France right?

But if Hungary get a win against Germany and knock them out, surely we should be more concerned about Hungary than the Germans anyway? There's no easy game next whatever happens, but I think I'd prefer to play a team that sets up to attack us and we play on the counter - if we could somehow perform like we did against Spain in that Nations League game for example we could be dangerous (albeit that was how long ago!?)

42 minutes ago, MarcusX said:

Warm up games were wasted. Players played who are not in the squad. Patterns of play cannot be the same. Set plays were taken by players who are not in the squad, unless they are making things up as they go along ball rolling time is wasted in training. England a team noted for ability from set plays are well below the expected standard. 

I know it’s trendy to be negative about England, but if we were in Germany or France’s position I definitely wouldn’t want to draw England next, especially at home. I thought in patches we looked good going forward. Grealish and Saka made a big difference.

7 points, 2 wins, 3 clean sheets and that’s without one of the best forwards in the world even playing that well. 

I find Southgate a hard listen though. He gives the opposition far too much credit when it only really needs to be a single comment. He was really talking up the Czechs last night who, let’s face it, aren't anything special. 

6 minutes ago, Cowshed said:

Warm up games were wasted. Players played who are not in the squad. Patterns of play cannot be the same. Set plays were taken by players who are not in the squad, unless they are making things up as they go along ball rolling time is wasted in training. England a team noted for ability from set plays are well below the expected standard. 

Absolute tripe

2 minutes ago, Cowshed said:

If he'd played all the Chelsea / Man City lot you would've been on here moaning that he should be giving them a rest.

Personally I think he's done the right thing. Tournament only really starts on Saturday.

His biggest regret will be not playing Chilwell in one of the first 2 games. It will be difficult to bring him in now. It will be 5 weeks between the Champions Mleague final and a quarter final if we get there.  

1 minute ago, steviestevieneville said:

Absolute tripe

Pick it apart. If you practice free kicks and the free kick takers do not play? If you do not include players taking part in set plays in a squad? Match play cannot mirror the way you train. This will be true over all elements of play. It cannot be the same. The best training and preparation is periodized not episodic. 

My prediction that we would play crab football throughout the tournament looks accurate.

Coaching has destroyed Rashford, Bellingham’s first pass was 30 yards backwards, give it a year and Sako will no doubt have the same negative thought processes. Grealish a pale shadow of himself. Kane gone AWOL. Sterling scores and disappears for the rest of the match. 

Ultra safe, ultra boring. 

Can our Gareth, change gear? Let’s hope so, though the negative crap football seems ingrained in the team. 

We are better than this.

5 minutes ago, Cowshed said:

Pick it apart. If you practice free kicks and the free kick takers do not play? If you do not include players taking part in set plays in a squad? Match play cannot mirror the way you train. This will be true over all elements of play. It cannot be the same. The best training and preparation is periodized not episodic. 

Most of the squad not available. They practice every day in training & I mean every day . You’re way over thinking it . It was warm up  games for god sake , we’ve qualified with 3 clean sheets . I knew I shouldn’t have responded to your post . Give it a rest . Clueless 

1 minute ago, RedRock said:

My prediction that we would play crab football throughout the tournament though looks to 

Coaching has destroyed Rashford, Bellingham’s first pass was 30 yards backwards, give it a year and Sako will no doubt have the same negative thought processes. Grealish a pale shadow of himself. Kane gone AWOL. Sterling scores and disappears for the rest of the match. 

Can our Gareth, change gear? Let’s hope so, though the negative crap football seems ingrained in the team. 

We are better than this.

Would you prefer

a) ultra safe, ultra boring, taking us to the final where we win an ultra boring final 1-0, or

b) a thrilling match against France in the next round which we lose 4-3?

I know we’d all prefer a thrilling 4-3 win in the final, but we’re not that good. 

4 minutes ago, RedRock said:

My prediction that we would play crab football throughout the tournament though looks accurate.

We are better than this.

Apart from Brazil 70 . Please name these obviously countless teams that have played expansive tournament football . I won’t bother holding my breath 

Archived