IGNORED

Euro 2021/21

daored

25 minutes ago, MarcusX said:

Question for anyone

We would all prefer Hungary over Germany, Portugal or France right?

But if Hungary get a win against Germany and knock them out, surely we should be more concerned about Hungary than the Germans anyway? There's no easy game next whatever happens, but I think I'd prefer to play a team that sets up to attack us and we play on the counter - if we could somehow perform like we did against Spain in that Nations League game for example we could be dangerous (albeit that was how long ago!?)

Hungary for me, simply for the fact of the continuing prominence it will give us and “Bristol City’s Adam Nagy” picks up Kalas’ mantle!

Seriously, agree with you, Hungary won’t be easy at all. All 4 of them are tough - but winnable in my view. On the right day!

2 minutes ago, italian dave said:

Hungary for me, simply for the fact of the continuing prominence it will give us and “Bristol City’s Adam Nagy” picks up Kalas’ mantle!

Seriously, agree with you, Hungary won’t be easy at all. All 4 of them are tough - but winnable in my view. On the right day!

Will we be on itv or BBC? 

Just now, steviestevieneville said:

Most of the squad not available. They practice every day in training & I mean every day . You’re way over thinking it . It was warm up  games for god sake , we’ve qualified with 3 clean sheets . I knew I shouldn’t have responded to your post . Give it a rest . Clueless 

Players do not practice every day. After the Scotland game Mr Southgate said he would work on patterns. He would have had two sessions.  Its a point made by people like Gary Neville. Why train and play with people pre tournament who cannot be playing? If you do this time has to be wasted and complexity added to training. You play how you train. 

I would include Tripper to take free kicks and corners. In a team as low scoring and as conservative as England set plays have become ever more important.  

40 minutes ago, MarcusX said:

Question for anyone

We would all prefer Hungary over Germany, Portugal or France right?

But if Hungary get a win against Germany and knock them out, surely we should be more concerned about Hungary than the Germans anyway? There's no easy game next whatever happens, but I think I'd prefer to play a team that sets up to attack us and we play on the counter.

I can’t see Hungary beating Germany

4 minutes ago, Cowshed said:

Players do not practice every day. After the Scotland game Mr Southgate said he would work on patterns. He would have had two sessions.  Its a point made by people like Gary Neville. Why train and play with people pre tournament who cannot be playing? If you do this time has to be wasted and complexity added to training. You play how you train. 

I would include Tripper to take free kicks and corners. In a team as low scoring and as conservative as England set plays have become ever more important.  

I’ll say it again. Players practice free kicks every day , also. MOST      OF    THE     SQUAD     WERE    UNAVAILABLE . Please do not reply to me Again unless you have something sensible to write. You obviously want to have something to moan about as topping the group with out conceding a goal isn’t good enough. 

14 minutes ago, italian dave said:

Would you prefer

a) ultra safe, ultra boring, taking us to the final where we win an ultra boring final 1-0, or

b) a thrilling match against France in the next round which we lose 4-3?

I know we’d all prefer a thrilling 4-3 win in the final, but we’re not that good. 

I'll answer that. Give me option B! What's the point in me watching England games and feeling bored and deflated?

I also dispute your question because I doubt our brand of stodge-ball would get us as far as the final, considering we couldn't beat a pathetic Scotland with it!

3 minutes ago, mozo said:

I'll answer that. Give me option B! What's the point in me watching England games and feeling bored and deflated?

I also dispute your question because I doubt our brand of stodge-ball would get us as far as the final, considering we couldn't beat a pathetic Scotland with it!

Fair enough. It wasn’t a loaded question: genuinely interested. I can remember when City played with Andy Cole and Jacki up front, but couldn’t defend - and we played some thrilling attacking football but often lost 4-3. Compared to the final couple of years under LJ when we were utterly uninspiring but still successful in terms of results and league position. I’ve never really been sure which I prefer!

Of course it’s a theoretical assumption about us getting to the final. But, as others have mentioned above, it’s often the boring, cautious, careful, uninspiring sides that succeed at international level. Germany have done it successfully for many years in the past. I wouldn’t bet against us getting there. But if we do, we’ll do it by playing cautiously: if we suddenly go gung-ho then we won’t for sure!

16 minutes ago, Cowshed said:

Which Tripper? Mings, Stones or Maguire?

2 minutes ago, steviestevieneville said:

I’ll say it again. Players practice free kicks every day , also. MOST      OF    THE     SQUAD     WERE    UNAVAILABLE . Please do not reply to me Again unless you have something sensible to write. You obviously want to have something to moan about as topping the group with out conceding a goal isn’t good enough. 

I made a simple point about training and you have gone into a hissy fit. The way Mr Southgate approached the tournament using players he did not intend using has to waste training time. I used a simple parallel in free kicks. If you vary free kick takers inefficiency will occur because skill sets differ - England practiced with players they intended not using. Time and opportunity wasted - Its a point from Gary Neville .. I will agree with him.

At present England are scoring less than a goal a game. That indicates? We will struggle v stronger teams. Improvement - Set plays, their delivery for England has been erratic. Last night balls were delivered to areas where obvious ball winners were not attacking at all. Lack of practice? Skill sets? Aptitudes synching? Trippier's skill set .. He presents opportunity and improvement. 

37 minutes ago, Robbored said:

I can’t see England beating any of the potential next fixture. France are awesome, Portugal excellent and Germany are well, Germany………….:cool2:

I’m really disappointed for the jocks tho………….:rofl2br:

We might look a lot better against stronger sides. I don’t think having lots of possession and being forced to break sides down who sit fairly deep suits us. I think England vs Portugal or Germany at home is very winnable.

France obviously look a class above most other teams but even they struggled against Hungary.

We haven’t been that exciting yet but haven’t lost or even conceded - people should be a bit more positive and try and enjoy the tournament. 

Sako and Grealish were a joy to watch yesterday. So refreshing.

Football has become so robotic.

It's like watching chess.

Certain movements are made everytime. Each nullifying the other. Team A makes a pass or move, and Team B makes the move the nullify it 

It's so ingrained into the players that they don't even think for themselves anymore. You can see that they know what moves and passes to make that won't be a risk. Back and forth, sideways and sideways. It's soooooo ingrained...now played at almost walking pace.

How many times do you see the likes of Walker get wide, have the opportunity to pass forward, but won't risk it, turn back, and pass sideways again!!! It's turgid. Recycle, recycle. 

And nearly every team plays the same way.

How refreshing to see two players break the lines, run at players, dribble, move, caress the ball, look to progress.

The rest look like robots to me. Fully drilled with no imagination.

Sad it's come to this 

If we had the fitness of today, with the imagination of natural footballers of the past, it would be so much more entertaining.d

7 minutes ago, italian dave said:

Fair enough. It wasn’t a loaded question: genuinely interested. I can remember when City played with Andy Cole and Jacki up front, but couldn’t defend - and we played some thrilling attacking football but often lost 4-3. Compared to the final couple of years under LJ when we were utterly uninspiring but still successful in terms of results and league position. I’ve never really been sure which I prefer!

Of course it’s a theoretical assumption about us getting to the final. But, as others have mentioned above, it’s often the boring, cautious, careful, uninspiring sides that succeed at international level. Germany have done it successfully for many years in the past. I wouldn’t bet against us getting there. But if we do, we’ll do it by playing cautiously: if we suddenly go gung-ho then we won’t for sure!

I don't think Germany were particularly boring during their successful periods.

In the 1990 world cup they scored 10 goals in the group stage and beat Holland in a fun and feisty game. 

In 2014 world cup they scored 7 in the group stage and beat Brazil 7-1 In the semi!

Normally, the enterprising teams do better. 

7 minutes ago, TomF said:

Well Greece did alright in 2004.. 

Hang on, are we comparing England to Greece?! It's absolutely permissible for a relative minnow nation to grit and scramble their way through a tournament, especially with that distinct lack of flair and talent at their disposal. How that side would have liked to have had Sancho!

9 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

We might look a lot better against stronger sides. I don’t think having lots of possession and being forced to break sides down who sit fairly deep suits us. I think England vs Portugal or Germany at home is very winnable.

France obviously look a class above most other teams but even they struggled against Hungary.

We haven’t been that exciting yet but haven’t lost or even conceded - people should be a bit more positive and try and enjoy the tournament. 

Our possession stats so far:

50, 60, 46

Shots on target: 4

On target against: 7

18 minutes ago, Cowshed said:

I made a simple point about training and you have gone into a hissy fit. The way Mr Southgate approached the tournament using players he did not intend using has to waste training time. I used a simple parallel in free kicks. If you vary free kick takers inefficiency will occur because skill sets differ - England practiced with players they intended not using. Time and opportunity wasted - Its a point from Gary Neville .. I will agree with him.

At present England are scoring less than a goal a game. That indicates? We will struggle v stronger teams. Improvement - Set plays, their delivery for England has been erratic. Last night balls were delivered to areas where obvious ball winners were not attacking at all. Lack of practice? Skill sets? Aptitudes synching? Trippier's skill set .. He presents opportunity and improvement. 

Jesus Christ ????? stop playing football manager  

30 minutes ago, Red7 said:

My money's on Germany beating Hungary, and France drawing with Portugal.
France in the next round for England, I reckon.

If Portugal defend like they did on Saturday they have no chance.

5 minutes ago, mozo said:

Our possession stats so far:

50, 60, 46

Shots on target: 4

On target against: 7

Exactly - we’ve had the majority of possession on average in the 3 games and it’s shown it doesn’t suit us by our lack of shots on target and conceding more against. 

I think with the pace in our side we will look far more dangerous when we’re forced to counter attack which we would against stronger sides.

14 minutes ago, mozo said:

I don't think Germany were particularly boring during their successful periods.

In the 1990 world cup they scored 10 goals in the group stage and beat Holland in a fun and feisty game. 

In 2014 world cup they scored 7 in the group stage and beat Brazil 7-1 In the semi!

Normally, the enterprising teams do better. 

Hang on, are we comparing England to Greece?! It's absolutely permissible for a relative minnow nation to grit and scramble their way through a tournament, especially with that distinct lack of flair and talent at their disposal. How that side would have liked to have had Sancho!

I’m not denying that teams can do both. At club level, Barcelona at their best. All I’m suggesting is that “stodge ball” ( as you describe it) can be successful too. And for teams that can’t match the very best for resources, it may be the most likely way to succeed.

We might not be the minnows Greece were/are, but let’s not pretend we’re up there with Germany, Italy, France in terms of our being a ‘big’ side at international level. Goodness knows where that 4th ranked status comes from, but we’ve a poor record over the past 50 years as a whole. And funnily enough the two managers who’ve got us punching above our weight in terms of international tournament success are Erickson and Southgate. 

Archived