daored

9 minutes ago, And Its Smith said:

I reckon he might go with this

Pickford
      Walker.  Stones. Maguire
James. Rice. Phillips.  Tripper
        Foden. Kane. Sterling 

Maybe Henderson in midfield

Would be surprised if Saka doesn't get a run.  Thought he was our MOM in the last game.

13 minutes ago, One Team said:

Have we ever had a serving City player in the round of 16 before? 

Only in the pub

12 hours ago, Lew-T said:

Same.

Portugal are a bogey side, bit of a ****house team to play against. France obviously world class…

And Germany aren't a bogey side?

11 hours ago, TheCulturalBomb said:

Musiala comes on for Germany at 18, has considerably less experience on every level than Sancho and not even close in the goals assists department and assists within 10 minutes their final goal. Yet Southgate goes on about experience, it's pathetic. If your old enough, your good enough.

Also part English and played at under 15 level for England. One that slipped through the net or just always likely to choose his home country?

Also, cant see Sancho is being left out because of age. We've played Saka and Bellingham who are both younger. There has to be more to it, e.g. what Gareth is seeing on the training pitch maybe or his attitude. Or he simply doesn't suit the way Southgate wants to play (which personally I dont like, other than us being fairly solid and hard to beat)

18 hours ago, RoystonFoote'snephew said:

Because the FIFA rankings are a joke? France are world champions so why are Belgium still No 1

France have had a few bad results since then, lost and drew with Turkey, lost to Finland, drew with Iceland. That will hurt rankings

Belgium have lost to us and Switzerland since their France defeat, I dont know if scorelines make a difference but they've handed out some thrashings along the way (albeit against minnows)

6 hours ago, Phileas Fogg said:

With posts like this, anyone would think we’re a side like Scotland or Northern Ireland. We’ve got a very good chance of beating Germany, especially at home. 

Decent chance, but still underdogs imo.

Either Germany or Netherlands would be the strongest side in our half of the draw, ourselves behind them.

5 hours ago, And Its Smith said:

I reckon he might go with this

Pickford
      Walker.  Stones. Maguire
James. Rice. Phillips.  Tripper
        Foden. Kane. Sterling 

Maybe Henderson in midfield

7 minutes ago, Bullbag said:

To think there are people on here who would go  back to a team without Saka and grealish in it we might as well pack up and say goodnight Vienna. 

These two are the only ones that so far have picked up the ball, drove forward with it and ran at defenders. 

I'm sorry but Foden has done nothing in this tournament so far, Mount hasn't done much either. 

If Gareth drops both Saka and Grealish then my patience has run out, and the man has to be given his P45.

I don't think Mount or Chilwell are likely to be available against Germany. They'll be out of quarantine but not have been able to train with the squad for a week.

If we went with @And Its Smith's team above, but with Grealish in for Foden (swapping sides with Sterling) and Saka in for Tripper, I'd be okay with that.  Although a change in formation might be a bit of a risk.

I rate Foden and Mount but dropping Saka and Grealish would send out a message the team isn't being picked on merit and Southgate would deserve the flack if the gamble didn't pay off. 

2 minutes ago, JamesBCFC said:

Either Germany or Netherlands would be the strongest side in our half of the draw, ourselves behind them.

I'm not convinced either Germany or the Netherlands would agree. The Netherlands haven't qualified for the last two tournaments and their form has been patchy coming into the tournament and Germany have plenty of question marks. made heavy weather of Hungary and struggled against France. 

Either will be a tough game and I certainly wouldn't say we were favourites but I think it is pretty evenly poised and I think both sides will be a bit wary of playing us. 

9 minutes ago, JamesBCFC said:

That’s fine, but I was directly replying to the post that was talking about ‘IF’ we beat Germany and how we can ‘dream’ about it. Completely OTT as we really aren’t that bad. 

25 minutes ago, LondonBristolian said:

I'm not convinced either Germany or the Netherlands would agree. The Netherlands haven't qualified for the last two tournaments and their form has been patchy coming into the tournament and Germany have plenty of question marks. made heavy weather of Hungary and struggled against France. 

Either will be a tough game and I certainly wouldn't say we were favourites but I think it is pretty evenly poised and I think both sides will be a bit wary of playing us. 

Accept that, but arguably one nation (historically) at least as bad as us for underachieving relative to their squad would be The Netherlands.

Germany I'd say have a stronger squad than us, their fans might feel negative because of performances or form, but that's no different to what we're seeing here. 

17 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

That’s fine, but I was directly replying to the post that was talking about ‘IF’ we beat Germany and how we can ‘dream’ about it. Completely OTT as we really aren’t that bad. 

Any team who, on their day, can go to Spain and win, beat Belgium (only defeat in around 25 matches) at home and beat Croatia twice at home aren’t quite as bad, pathetic and awful as some of the more reactionary posters on here are making them out to be.

If we had better players in key positions down the middle of the park I’m sure we would be more attack minded than we are but we don’t have that although Maguire showed last night the benefit of having a centre half that can step into a midfield area and hit a decent pass.

Our one world class player that other teams fear is misfiring but if he gets his act together we don’t need to fear anyone.

25 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Fair, my point was more that I won't be expecting us to beat Germany. 

As you say, we aren't as bad as people are making out. But the German team, form aside, is strong and it will be a tough game.

27 minutes ago, JamesBCFC said:

Fair, my point was more that I won't be expecting us to beat Germany. 

As you say, we aren't as bad as people are making out. But the German team, form aside, is strong and it will be a tough game.

Yeah which is the general consensus. 

Other teams wouldn’t have wanted to draw us in the last 16 at Wembley. 7 points, no goals conceded and one of the best (if not the best) forwards in the tournament yet to score.

Expect pundits etc in the build up to talk about how England have the pace, technical ability etc to get a result against a poor, underachieving German team: - unless of course the Germans find their form, rhythm etc in which case it will be a tough game .

Then, after the game - well, Germany were stronger, faster to the ball, and crucially their finishing was excellent. So going forward, what can we learn from this game?

I just love that this tournament has caught fire. Group F was absolutely fantastic* and the fact that it decided England's next opponents gave it extra spice. Group E gave us some great games as well, and there have been some fine cameo performances from smaller nations like Wales, Czechia, Hungary and even North Macedonia.

Now the crunch comes, and I'm delighted that England have a big game right off the bat. The fact that it is winnable is even better. Germany are good, of course they are, but this isn't a vintage side. They seem to be unpredictable, potentially glorious, potentially atrocious. If England can exert some control over the match, grow into it, launch a few attacks, and roll with the inevitable punches, then maybe, just maybe there's a chance.

*and in my opinion a clear proof for the superiority of a higher quality 16 team tournament rather than this bloated thing we have now

57 minutes ago, Red_Alligator said:

Expect pundits etc in the build up to talk about how England have the pace, technical ability etc to get a result against a poor, underachieving German team: - unless of course the Germans find their form, rhythm etc in which case it will be a tough game .

Then, after the game - well, Germany were stronger, faster to the ball, and crucially their finishing was excellent. So going forward, what can we learn from this game?

See 2010 WC

3 hours ago, MarcusX said:

Also part English and played at under 15 level for England. One that slipped through the net or just always likely to choose his home country?

My assumption with Musiala was that being based in Germany and seeing that Germany had an ageing, limited forward line made Germany the obvious choice. I had heard on a podcast that Germany had courted him quite enthusiastically, and perhaps England didn't make enough effort.

Certainly, with so many talented forwards in the England squad and so few in Germany's Musiala will get tons more game time with them, particularly when Muller retires.

1 hour ago, BigTone said:

All my French friends at our local bar are predicting a France vs England final. Maybe I need to investigate exactly what they are drinking !!

Well England now probably/possibly need to beat Germany, Sweden and Holland. That would be exciting!

I just wonder if Italy can carry on their solid performances and dispatch of Belgium/Portugal and France.

35 minutes ago, ExiledAjax said:

I just love that this tournament has caught fire. Group F was absolutely fantastic* and the fact that it decided England's next opponents gave it extra spice. Group E gave us some great games as well, and there have been some fine cameo performances from smaller nations like Wales, Czechia, Hungary and even North Macedonia.

*and in my opinion a clear proof for the superiority of a higher quality 16 team tournament rather than this bloated thing we have now

I agree, in principle, but that would most likely have meant no Hungary in this year's competiition.

55 minutes ago, TomF said:

See 2010 WC

Germany had reached the semi final of 2006- on home soil granted, and final of Euro 2008 albeit with some luck.

This Germany as a team are worse and with a bit of a lame duck as a manager, because while they have a lot of talented individuals or individuals who play for highly ranked clubs, they're not terribly convincing. Some say that Flick was the true brains behind them in their excellent period- if Flick, or Klopp or Tuchel to name 3 were in charge I think they would be quite a different proposition! Flick was assistant manager from Autumn 2006 to their World Cup win.

Can't call it but should be a good, if tense game.

Archived