IGNORED

Euro 2021/21

daored

On a general note, the 3rd placed stuff has thrown up more drama and entertainment than feared IMO. The only real dud was Group A, where Switzerland had to beat Turkey- ironically Austria v Ukraine draw would have likely taken both through but credit to them, don't think they played out that way- Austria seemed to step it up too.

Group C saw Scotland v Croatia in a winner takes all to qualify- draw suited neither, I had my doubts but Croatia did step up and go through, last night was excellent in Group F and those draws, Sweden v Poland- Poland deserved more! Unlucky to lose or even not to win,  and Denmark eventually got to 2nd place albeit the hard way- think they deserved more from their 1st 2 games in any case.

3 hours ago, BigTone said:

All my French friends at our local bar are predicting a France vs England final. Maybe I need to investigate exactly what they are drinking !!

One black coffee or one 25cl beer.
And making it last for hours.
Fair play to them, I wish I could do that ?

11 hours ago, Phileas Fogg said:

With posts like this, anyone would think we’re a side like Scotland or Northern Ireland. We’ve got a very good chance of beating Germany, especially at home. 

For sure.On paper it feels a 50/50 for me, and hopefully on the day it breaks our way.

I am nervous about how we react if we go a goal down, as is the last WC we didn’t. I am hopeful that we have another gear we have not had to find yet.

Just too much scar tissue I am afraid, all the way back to Peter Bonetti in 1970. I do ‘dream’ we beat them, was not suggesting it’s a pipe dream, we have a real chance.

10 hours ago, One Team said:

Just thinking about Kalas and maybe a question for the likes of @Davefevs:

Have we ever had a serving City player in the round of 16 before? 

Probably none. There hadn’t been a round of 16 before til uefa changed the competition to let shit teams like Scotland enter ?

3 hours ago, BanburyRed said:

Makes the heart grow fonder, apparently......

Trip? 
Shortcuts? 

10 hours ago, One Team said:

Just thinking about Kalas and maybe a question for the likes of @Davefevs:

Have we ever had a serving City player in the round of 16 before? 

Hörður Magnússon was on the bench for the last 16 game between England v Iceland in 2016. Didn't play though, also, the game was on 27 June, he signed for us 13 July, so not quite a "serving" player at the time of the game.

As an aside Nagy played in Hungary's last 16 tie in Euro 2016, although he was of course at Bologna at the time.

32 minutes ago, JamesBCFC said:

Think it's pretty close tbh.

A number of their players are arguably as good as their counterparts in our side.

https://www.uefa.com/european-qualifiers/teams/95--netherlands/squad/

I've just had a quick look at this, and there's a few players I'm not that familar with, but based on that I think the ones that would definitely get into our squad would be:

Depay, Frenkie de Jong, Wijnaldum, de Ligt, de Vrij, Cillessen. 

The key for me is that their centre midfield and central defence do look stronger than us, but not their overall squad. Think it would be a good game. 

15 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

I've just had a quick look at this, and there's a few players I'm not that familar with, but based on that I think the ones that would definitely get into our squad would be:

The key for me is that their centre midfield and central defence do look stronger than us, but not their overall squad. Think it would be a good game. 

That right back they have, Dumfries looks fantastic. PSV captain - can see him moving to a bigger club this summer

35 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

I was thinking the same players plus Dumfries.

Then players like van de Beek, de Roon and Gravenbirch more debatable. 

Would be a close one and think the argument could be made either way.

3 hours ago, mozo said:

My assumption with Musiala was that being based in Germany and seeing that Germany had an ageing, limited forward line made Germany the obvious choice. I had heard on a podcast that Germany had courted him quite enthusiastically, and perhaps England didn't make enough effort.

Certainly, with so many talented forwards in the England squad and so few in Germany's Musiala will get tons more game time with them, particularly when Muller retires.

Well England now probably/possibly need to beat Germany, Sweden and Holland. That wont be exciting! Even if it happens!

I just wonder if Italy can carry on their solid performances and dispatch of Belgium/Portugal and France.

correction

12 hours ago, Super said:

Trippier has to play LB. Only one capable of delivering a set piece.

You’d have thought that being able to cross a ball into the box wouldn’t be to much to ask for players deemed to be worth £100k+ per week.

41 minutes ago, JamesBCFC said:

I was thinking the same players plus Dumfries.

Then players like van de Beek, de Roon and Gravenbirch more debatable. 

Would be a close one and think the argument could be made either way.

I don't know about Dumfries because we're fairly stacked at RB. I think Walker/James/Trippier would also look really good in the Dutch league.

I was thinking about van de Beek but think I'd probably go for Phillips and Rice over him, Henderson over de Roon and Bellingham over Gravenberch. I think Gravenberch is a real talent though and will inevitably go onto big things.. just think Bellingham is a bit better. 

I think based on that we're probably a bit stronger across the board, but they might be stronger in more important areas. Would be an interesting game I think.

Also I saw that Portugal are playing Belgium in the next round, that'll be a really good game I think. Stylistically it should gel well. 

17 hours ago, And Its Smith said:

We are better than the Netherlands for sure 

I think that statement needs to be qualified:

England at their best are better than the Netherlands.

The question is, will Southgate get a peak performance out of the talented squad that he has at his disposal.

Can he do it for the Germany game? Time will tell...

17 hours ago, Harry said:

Probably none. There hadn’t been a round of 16 before til uefa changed the competition to let shit teams like Scotland enter ?

Trip? 
Shortcuts? 

Well the group stage would technically be a round of 16 then? PLus there was one in 2016

17 hours ago, havanatopia said:

We will beat Germany and be totally knackered then face Wales and lose 1-0.

Oh what a scenario.

We don't face Wales next if we win, there'd be another game in between

Archived