IGNORED

We Belong In The Championship

Berkshire Red

6 hours ago, RalphMilnesLeftFoot said:

4 seasons in what was the Prem and then being one of the first teams alongside Wolves to be relegated from the top league to the bottom league is not our best and is actually an anomaly...

“4 seasons” - why are you dismissing so much of our history?! We were runners up in the “Prem” don’t ya know? Do you realise we were in the top tier way before the Alan Dicks era?

1 hour ago, Rich said:

Some teams might not even be in the league but have an average position higher than an existing team

This is certainly true, but I think a lot of people would say harrogate and barrow aren't as successful as the Stockports and hartlepools, even if current league position says otherwise. 

Averaging their league position and extending down to the conference etc, I'm sure Stockport would have an avg league position not too dissimilar from City's 

8 hours ago, robin_unreliant said:

I doubt over that period that our wage bill has been at the level it is currently, in relation to other clubs though 

We should be expecting to be above our long term median as the investment in recent years has been stepped up.

Wouldn't that be relative to other teams? I would imagine most teams have increased there wage bill in line with ours and for ex prem teams outstripped us quite dramatically. Wouldn't that make it debatable as to whether we should be above our long term median or not? 

As much as we all love Ashton Gate I feel that the failure to build a bigger stadium is going to stop the club from ever being big players in the top division.

Even if we were bought like Man City with unlimited funds then we would still be held back.

You may say ‘what about Leicester ? ‘

I think they are having a golden period in their history but I can’t see them ever being considered a top six club or even avoiding relegation from the Prem one day . 

We have a glass ceiling but can hope to compete with clubs of a similar size, Leicester, Watford, Burnley etc 

Personally I want us to get to the Prem , even if it means we could come back down after one season, it would just get the monkey off our back and give us the belief that we can do it. 

When clubs like Norwich, Burnley, Watford etc get relegated from the Prem they have the drive and knowledge, not to mention parachute payments, to get back up, ‘ to where they belong ‘

Like  us when we drop into the third division we know that with our resources we shouldn’t really be there ,expect to get promoted and are geared up to achieving that goal.

It’s a learning process and we, at the moment, are still studying ‘ how to get promoted ‘ not ‘ how to get to and stay in the Prem’ . 

I am happy for us to be mostly in the Championship but the club must go up sooner rather than later to avoid us slipping even further behind other clubs.

11 hours ago, RalphMilnesLeftFoot said:

If 4 seasons of struggle in the top flight represents success, seeing as it nearly destroyed the club, period, then you hold on to that. 

Nostalgia distorts and if you want to yardstick from nearly 45 years ago, then do that. 

For reference, that would be looking back at pre Ww2 if you were using the same remit from 'success' 

Are you really going to hold 100 plus years ago one comp and 2 seasons as a success, all going tits up when money ran out. 

Hardly sustained nor without financial free fall. 

This success is better and more prolonged. However, if it helps then stick with not in living history, as being greatest ever. 

I know the eras to which I referred were a long time ago, but how can you maintain our current performances and seasons represent, in your words, “our best run of all time”?

I was talking about eras when we won the championship title and then finished 2nd, 10th, 8th and 16th in the premier league, reaching the FA Cup Final along the way - and then the period under Dicks’ with those glorious times in the top tier -  just because it was a long time ago doesn’t mean it should be dismissed or forgotten. 

Your comment about our current status as a club says we are on “our best run ever” - so you are obviously referring to our total history - yet you don’t acknowledge very important and significant parts of that history, I just find that a bit strange. 

22 hours ago, Berkshire Red said:

If city won the championship next season, they would then have to win the Premier league every year until 2104 before our average league position since 1950/51 was 20th (final prem spot) ... however some may say this is distinctly possible with Pearson as manager, so long as he lives for another 83 years as City manager...

2VDMIUAFEcIc-u33GpRLqED3N6bbnP_ZX2PvgGeW

Archived