IGNORED

18,000 at Edgbaston - Birmingham

richyy66

• Admin
4 hours ago, Shaun Taylor said:

Time will tell but it sounds like a mini Cheltenham in the making with Covid cases stating to rise again and didn't the Chelsea & Man City fans get tested before the champions league final yet had to quarantine after positive cases were recorded.

Have you not seen the miniscule numbers from infections at all other test events?

Practically non existent

4 hours ago, Lrrr said:

The only thing I didn't enjoy was seemingly the drunk football fans more than cricket fans taking over the chanting and making it constant the same 3 or 4 football songs rather than cricket chants for players etc. At least that's how it came across on the TV, constant 'its coming home', 'Southgate you're the one' etc

I agree - the football chanting is driving me nuts just watching on TV.      Idiots signing "Jimmy Jimmy Anderson" when Wood is bowling.  ?     Or "Football's coming home" every 10 minutes.      

3 hours ago, elhombrecito said:

I did have to chuckle at this one though:

Screenshot_20210611-151401.png

Don't think I've seen a single person wearing one!

I saw a tweet from someone who was there yesterday saying that the majority were wearing them on the way in and during the morning, by lunchtime probably about half were and after tea and on leaving the ground hardly anybody was.

3 hours ago, Daniro said:

I agree - the football chanting is driving me nuts just watching on TV.      Idiots signing "Jimmy Jimmy Anderson" when Wood is bowling.  ?     Or "Football's coming home" every 10 minutes.      

I must say as a huge cricket and football fan this doesn’t bother me in the slightest. 

After over a year of Covid restrictions and no crowds everyone is thrilled to be back at the test and creating a fantastic atmosphere. The fact that the Euros start on Sunday for England and the weather is great just adds to the excitement. 

I wouldn’t expect this (or want it!) at Lords for example but I am really looking forward to being there tomorrow, primarily to watch live cricket but a lively atmosphere adds to the occasion, especially during slower periods of play. 

The Edgbaston crowd is always lively and many English cricket supporters follow them across the world - many of these are big football fans too including myself and I’ve met some good friends this way. 

1 hour ago, Shaun Taylor said:

It's  hard to argue with that so can't understand why Wembley aren't allowing more in 

Agreed, there could be an agreement in place as this European championship is being played in multiple countries.  It would be unfair of us to fill Wembley to 75% capacity if other  countries can’t do the same 

8 minutes ago, LoyalRed said:

Agreed, there could be an agreement in place as this European championship is being played in multiple countries.  It would be unfair of us to fill Wembley to 75% capacity if other  countries can’t do the same 

Games in Hungary will be played at full capacity.
Can’t see UEFA putting any rules in like that anyway, they need to get as much ticket money in as possible. 

5 hours ago, Shaun Taylor said:

No I haven't but curious to know if there were 18000 watching 

There was over 20,000 at Wembley for the FA Cup final. Tubes were rammed and obviously there’s only really one way in and out of Wembley so massive crowds waiting for trains. If that didn’t cause any spikes then it’s not much of an issue - though there’s no guarantee they all took their tests after, I didn’t even get sent any

2 hours ago, LoyalRed said:

it’s already unfair that some teams get home advantage and largely home only supporters. Not sure they care about that

7 hours ago, MarcusX said:

it’s already unfair that some teams get home advantage and largely home only supporters. Not sure they care about that

I would say it’s unfair that England has not had a major tournament since Euro ‘96 so hoping that the bonus ‘home’ games will give us that extra advantage to help bring it home!

1 hour ago, Scare_Man said:

I would say it’s unfair that England has not had a major tournament since Euro ‘96 so hoping that the bonus ‘home’ games will give us that extra advantage to help bring it home!

Probably right, shame it happens during covid. Next Friday would have been really special in London 

50 minutes ago, MarcusX said:

Probably right, shame it happens during covid. Next Friday would have been really special in London 

I think there was talk of us having the 2030 World Cup but even then for us to host the tournament twice in 100 years having given the world the sport is ridiculous

1 hour ago, Scare_Man said:

I think there was talk of us having the 2030 World Cup but even then for us to host the tournament twice in 100 years having given the world the sport is ridiculous

Going to put it out there, I don't think we'll hold the world cup until 2066, FIFA will then award it as a 100 year celebration or some shit

On 11/06/2021 at 15:47, Daniro said:

They were chanting ‘Jimmy Anderson’ a lot because this was the match when he became the most capped England test player of all time - I’m sure the crowd knew when Wood was bowling ... they were also singing the ‘Rory Burns’ song when he wasn’t ‘in’ the game - atmosphere sounded brill ...

Archived