IGNORED

Gary's Gulls

42nite

So, if Gary's Gulls beat the Magpies tomorrow, they will then be in the playoff final Sunday 20th at Ashton Gate.  I think that's correct?

Got to be a good shout that hasn't it? 

If general sale of tickets is allowed that could be like a home match as I'd imagine a fair few Reds would be very interested in that.  

How about you Robbo?  ?

What is the current consensus of city fans?

Ive always liked the bloke and am grateful for his efforts with us, he achieved more in 40 years than anyone else.

Im just conscious that we’re a bunch of ***** sometimes and for some strange reason Gary may not be on the current Christmas card list ?

21 minutes ago, 054123 said:

What is the current consensus of city fans?

Ive always liked the bloke and am grateful for his efforts with us, he achieved more in 40 years than anyone else.

Im just conscious that we’re a bunch of ***** sometimes and for some strange reason Gary may not be on the current Christmas card list ?

In my opinion everyone should look on Gary Johnson very favourably. It may have gone stale after 5 years, but that's not uncommon. He got us the closest to the Prem out of any manager we've had for a long time.

People talk about his poor signings and how that eventually led to the reset in 2013 after years of struggle. That's not untrue, but we didn't seem to have any plan in those days. Everything was about adapting to the moment.. not adapting to the next 3/5/10 years. 

I think the difference now is we do have more of a plan. There's obviously a focus on youth and using our academy which is a good thing. If we get the recruitment of senior players correct (ie how Brentford consistently seem to) then it looks like the best approach. 

I have a lot of time for the bloke and met him once and found him good company.

As a manager he was very limited in his ability but gave his heart and soul to City. Good luck to him and TUFC. I put a sizeable bet on them to be promoted at Ashton Gate. Just feels like it's written in the stars.

Loved his time in charge.

Worth pointing out his keeper & defence that got us to the playoff final were;

Basso, who was on the subs bench at Woking in the Conference before we picked him up.

Orr, a free transfer by Tinnion from Newcastle, converted midfielder.

McCombe, a £5k (!) buy from Lincoln.

Carey, local lad, picked up for nothing by Tinnion after a short spell at Coventry.

McAllister, a free transfer from Hearts.

That keeper & back 4 (plus Fontaine, free transfer from Fulham) had an incredible season.

For all the flak over recruitment under GJ it is hard to find any fault with that.

2 minutes ago, supercidered said:

I have a lot of time for the bloke and met him once and found him good company.

As a manager he was very limited in his ability but gave his heart and soul to City. Good luck to him and TUFC. I put a sizeable bet on them to be promoted at Ashton Gate. Just feels like it's written in the stars.

Was he? What does that make the rest of our managers since then considering he's given us the highest finish out of all of them !

1 minute ago, GrahamC said:

Basso, who was on the subs bench at Woking in the Conference before we picked him up.

Carey, local lad, picked up for nothing by Tinnion after a short spell at Coventry.

That keeper & back 4 (plus Fontaine, free transfer from Fulham) had an incredible season.

For all the flak over recruitment under GJ it is hard to find any fault with that.

GJ was at his best when he had to unearth rough diamonds like many of those. The issues came when he had 6 or 7 figures to spend. His best signings were nearly all the cheaper ones.

5 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Was he? What does that make the rest of our managers since then considering he's given us the highest finish out of all of them !

GJ was at his best when he had to unearth rough diamonds like many of those. The issues came when he had 6 or 7 figures to spend. His best signings were nearly all the cheaper ones.

Of course he gave us our highest finish and fair play to him. My views on the management since is another story.

I feel he had that one crack it and didn't quite make it and no shame in that. I think it's telling though that no club then took a chance on him at Championship level since then. (I think he was at Peterborough after but I'm not sure what league that was).

17 minutes ago, supercidered said:

As a manager he was very limited in his ability 

Never a truer word. He’s currently at the right level for his skill set. One big advantage that he has tho is that he’s a lucky manager and that has stayed with him all his career.

2 minutes ago, Robbored said:

Never a truer word. He’s currently at the right level for his skill set. One big advantage that he has tho is that he’s a lucky manager and that has stayed with him all his career.

Luck is not permanent, at some point all that luck must be something else, unless of course you don't like the bloke that much ?

Just now, Robbored said:

Lucky all his career ?

Do you ever step back reflect on yourself?

Just now, TRL said:

Luck is not permanent, at some point all that luck must be something else, unless of course you don't like the bloke that much ?

Losing 0-6 at AG to Cardiff and then trying to trip up Chopra as he ran past celebrating a goal is an example of how his luck held when he wasn’t charged for that.

1 minute ago, 054123 said:

Lucky all his career ?

Do you ever step back reflect on yourself?

The only luck I get is bad luck.

2 minutes ago, Robbored said:

Losing 0-6 at AG to Cardiff and then trying to trip up Chopra as he ran past celebrating a goal is an example of how his luck held when he wasn’t charged for that.

The only luck I get is bad luck.

Chopra was a complete c@nt of the highest order though.

11 minutes ago, Dolman_Stand said:

Took us from the lower reaches of League 1, built and galvanised a team that worked hard and bought into a team ethic and nearly got us to the promised land. How anyone can say a bad word about him on this forum beggars belief.

Agree 100%. Funny how are better times have been under managers that could harvest a good team ethic. Alan Dicks, Gary Johnson & Steve Cotterill all worked with small squads that would run through 'brick walls' for each other..

13 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Please don't pollute and sidetrack this thread @Robbored. We all know your views on Gary Johnson and it would be nice if, for once, those of us that like and respect him can discuss his achievements without you letting us know (once again) what you think about him. 

Yep. He's looking for a reaction, please nobody give it to him.

1 hour ago, Keep the Faith said:

Why any City fan wouldn’t welcome Gary Johnson back with a positive reception is beyond me.

Best times I’ve had supporting City. I’ll never forget Palace away in the playoffs.

Well said.

No Bristol City fan would give him anything other than a hugely positive reception and view his period with us as hugely successful. Like everything it came to an end but the promotion and play off final season live long in the memory. 

Top bloke GJ, gave us a copuple of great seasons. Must have something about him as a manager to get Yeovil into the Championship.

The only person who doesn't think so is the one GJ made look a *** in his office.

Although GJ needn't have bothered, he's more than capable of doing that himself.

56 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Nobel, Enoch & Byfield didn't cost much either ? 

You could argue that since that first season in the championship under GJ that we have always had better striker options. The fact they got to the play off final which hasn't been topped since goes to show how well the rest of the team played that season. Was a great time to support the club and hoping Torquay go up this year!

51 minutes ago, Robbored said:

You never fail to disappoint?  GJ got this club closer to the Premiership than any other manager in our history, and his true level is the National league? Ha!   He had bags of luck when Boom Boom fell sick with a virus, and he had to rearrange our formation on the eve of the most important game we have ever played (So far)....and was tremendously lucky when  Bradley Orr fractured his eye socket and  we had to yet again rearrange our defence.  Despite events conspiring against us, we lost by just the one goal, and could so easily have won.                                                       If I ever meet Gary Johnson, I will shake his hand and thank him for some fantastic memories.........and I will   be sure to tell him just how lucky he is?   ?

1 hour ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Shame he didn't carry on mining for diamonds 

4 minutes ago, maxjak said:

You never fail to disappoint?  GJ got this club closer to the Premiership than any other manager in our history, and his true level is the National league? Ha!   He had bags of luck when Boom Boom fell sick with a virus, and he had to rearrange our formation on the eve of the most important game we have ever played (So far)....and was tremendously lucky when  Bradley Orr fractured his eye socket and  we had to yet again rearrange our defence.  Despite events conspiring against us, we lost by just the one goal, and could so easily have won.                                                       If I ever meet Gary Johnson, I will shake his hand and thank him for some fantastic memories.........and I will   be sure to tell him just how lucky he is?   ?

It was a major blow losing McCombe on the morning of the game but when Bradley went off the obvious team change was to push Carey to full back and bring on the impressive loan defender Tamas Vasko alongside Fontaine in the centre.

Johnson made the grave mistake of pulling Elliott out of the midfield to play at full back and allow Junior Johnson to come on in the middle - that grates with me to this day!!!

2 hours ago, 42nite said:

So, if Gary's Gulls beat the Magpies tomorrow, they will then be in the playoff final Sunday 20th at Ashton Gate.  I think that's correct?

Got to be a good shout that hasn't it? 

If general sale of tickets is allowed that could be like a home match as I'd imagine a fair few Reds would be very interested in that.  

How about you Robbo?  ?

This particular Robbo will be there if Torquay make it.

Archived