IGNORED

Gary's Gulls

42nite

5 minutes ago, headhunter said:

It was a major blow losing McCombe on the morning of the game but when Bradley went off the obvious team change was to push Carey to full back and bring on the impressive loan defender Tamas Vasko alongside Fontaine in the centre.

Johnson made the grave mistake of pulling Elliott out of the midfield to play at full back and allow Junior Johnson to come on in the middle - that grates with me to this day!!!

Fair point...........taking Elliott out of midfield was without a doubt.........a mistake

1 hour ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Please don't pollute and sidetrack this thread @Robbored.....

Yeh, sorry guys, my fault. 

I put the hook out in my original post, and it was taken.

I should have known better! 

Hopefully he'll behave now he's been told!

Gary's a good bloke, I hope he wins both games. ?

GJ was an excellent manager for us until it came to spending money and unfortunately that's where he failed.  When building a side on a shoestring he managed to get talented players with heart.  The archetypal wheeler n dealer.  But gave us some very enjoyable memories for sure and will always be given a warm reception whenever he returns to the Gate, I'm sure.

2 hours ago, Robbored said:

Never a truer word. He’s currently at the right level for his skill set. One big advantage that he has tho is that he’s a lucky manager and that has stayed with him all his career.

...and the award for the most predictable post of 2021 goes to........................

Gary Johnson was able to produce a team where the whole was greater than the sum of it’s parts.

Every manager since seemed better at doing  the exact opposite.

1 hour ago, headhunter said:

It was a major blow losing McCombe on the morning of the game but when Bradley went off the obvious team change was to push Carey to full back and bring on the impressive loan defender Tamas Vasko alongside Fontaine in the centre.

Johnson made the grave mistake of pulling Elliott out of the midfield to play at full back and allow Junior Johnson to come on in the middle - that grates with me to this day!!!

Yes spot on all about opinions would class both johnsons as nearly men he was asked if he needed another striker by lansdown he said no im Happy with my family what could have been eh .

3 hours ago, Robbored said:

Never a truer word. He’s currently at the right level for his skill set. One big advantage that he has tho is that he’s a lucky manager and that has stayed with him all his career.

You think he's a conference manager yet he got two clubs from near relegation to promotion into the championship within 2 seasons. He also got Cheltenham back into the league and laid down some good foundations for them. He is now in the playoffs with Torquay so hardly a lucky manager is he. I would agree if you had said that he struggles to deal with higher reputable players or isn't great in the transfer market at championship level.

He got us out of the third league which is hardly an amazing thing to do.

Then more by luck than judgement he got us to a play off final where he did what every other City manager achieved. Defeat!

And when he finally left City, we were a miserable shambles which took a relegation and five managers to sort out.

Does anyone wonder why I dreaded the long term effect on our Club when his son arrived? Need I say more?

3 minutes ago, cidered abroad said:

Then more by luck than judgement he got us to a play off final where he did what every other City manager achieved. Defeat!

And when he finally left City, we were a miserable shambles which took a relegation and five managers to sort out.

Does anyone wonder why I dreaded the long term effect on our Club when his son arrived? Need I say more?

Behave.

8 minutes ago, cidered abroad said:

The shambles that followed was not only appointing coppell but overspending again which is what SL has tried to better this time around. Out of interest who else would have been better ? 

3 hours ago, Hampshire reds said:

i hope he gets promoted.  good manager and a decent  man.

This all day long, did really well for us.

Good luck to the Gulls and good luck GJ. 

BTW, 4,000 tickets each for the finalists, I would think that would sell out before we could get our hands on a ticket, if we wanted to. 

16 minutes ago, cidered abroad said:

Of course, we've been in the Premiership final so many times since haven't we? ? 

We are getting sick of going to Wembley every year in the play offs.... Ah wait, that isn't right!

47 minutes ago, cidered abroad said:

Well, Danny Wilson couldn’t manage it, despite having a better squad and four years in which to achieve it.

4 hours ago, Keep the Faith said:

Why any City fan wouldn’t welcome Gary Johnson back with a positive reception is beyond me.

Best times I’ve had supporting City. I’ll never forget Palace away in the playoffs.

The older you get the more good moments you have. Unfortunately they are interspersed with lots of disappointments. The “best times” I’ve had we’re watching City when Fred Ford was manager, then Alan Dicks, then Gary Johnson, then Steve Cotterill. I hope I don’t have to wait too long for another best time with Nigel Pearson 

4 hours ago, supercidered said:

I have a lot of time for the bloke and met him once and found him good company.

As a manager he was very limited in his ability but gave his heart and soul to City. Good luck to him and TUFC. I put a sizeable bet on them to be promoted at Ashton Gate. Just feels like it's written in the stars.

As mentioned by various others above he achieved numerous promotions with several clubs and got City to the Championship final. If that’s limited ability, what does it say about the other managers we’ve had in recent years?  It started to go wrong at City when the relatively big money signings were made. Gary had too much faith in his brother Pete. If only Mark Ashton had been around to help him. (That is a joke) 

3 hours ago, maxjak said:

You never fail to disappoint?  GJ got this club closer to the Premiership than any other manager in our history, and his true level is the National league? Ha!   He had bags of luck when Boom Boom fell sick with a virus, and he had to rearrange our formation on the eve of the most important game we have ever played (So far)....and was tremendously lucky when  Bradley Orr fractured his eye socket and  we had to yet again rearrange our defence.  Despite events conspiring against us, we lost by just the one goal, and could so easily have won.                                                       If I ever meet Gary Johnson, I will shake his hand and thank him for some fantastic memories.........and I will   be sure to tell him just how lucky he is?   ?

Whilst true, it ignores the fact that the Premier League has only been in existence since 1992. Before that, Division 1 was the top league and Alan Dicks managed to get City promoted to that league on a shoestring budget.  

4 hours ago, The Dolman Pragmatist said:

Well, Danny Wilson couldn’t manage it, despite having a better squad and four years in which to achieve it.

Agreed. At the time it puzzled me greatly but in hindsight with the publicity about all the boozing, I see why he, Wilson, underperformed. Shocking waste!

7 hours ago, pongo88 said:

Whilst true, it ignores the fact that the Premier League has only been in existence since 1992. Before that, Division 1 was the top league and Alan Dicks managed to get City promoted to that league on a shoestring budget.  

I was wondering if someone would bite on that with Alan Dicks, I guess the theory is that Dicks didn't get us the closest - he actually got us promoted. The statement is factually correct GJ got us the closest, once you're in it then your no longer close ?.

It's clear from this thread the vast majority remember GJ fondly enough to wish the teams that he manages well (I don't care for Aberdeen or Sunderland but I seem to wish Shrewsbury well). There are only a couple trying to rewrite history to paint GJ as either a poor or incompetent manager. 

13 hours ago, Robbored said:

So if they go up he should walk away because otherwise he will bring them straight back down?

oh so this season was luck as were the many Yeovil promotions including the Championship with two clubs? I understand now.

8 hours ago, Pezo said:

I was wondering if someone would bite on that with Alan Dicks, I guess the theory is that Dicks didn't get us the closest - he actually got us promoted. The statement is factually correct GJ got us the closest, once you're in it then your no longer close ?.

It's clear from this thread the vast majority remember GJ fondly enough to wish the teams that he manages well (I don't care for Aberdeen or Sunderland but I seem to wish Shrewsbury well). There are only a couple trying to rewrite history to paint GJ as either a poor or incompetent manager. 

What’s the Sunderland, Aberdeen & Shrewsbury relevance? 

21 hours ago, Robbored said:

Losing 0-6 at AG to Cardiff and then trying to trip up Chopra as he ran past celebrating a goal is an example of how his luck held when he wasn’t charged for that.

The only luck I get is bad luck.

Two totally different games for a start, nice try Robbo

35 minutes ago, E.G.Red said:

It will be interesting watching Lemonheigh-evans. We obviously thought he had something as we kept extending his contract , until finally after a number of loans we  sold him to Torquay

Named Torquay’s player of the year.

Archived