IGNORED

Gary's Gulls

42nite

In the second half of the season Torquay had nearly as many injuries as us - Danny Wright, their centre forward missed many games at the end of the normal season when Torquay dropped from the top of the league and automatic promotion back to the EFL.

GJ has done wonders for Torquay, and living not many miles from Torquay have worked with season ticket holders for many years.

They really deserve to get back into the League - and I really hope they win at Ashton Gate next week.

Today, they rode their luck at times, and were second best for parts of the game, and got a generous penalty - but in the final third they were probably better than Notts County - do that again next week and hopefully they will return to League Two in August. ??

2 hours ago, YorkshireSection said:

Hoping Stockport can beat County and then stuff Torquay. Good away day is Stockport, proper football team, old school football ground with some cracking eateries located in the nearby town centre.

Not following this one. Stockport play Hartlepool. I think that will be a fairly tight affair as it happens. Good to see Stockport coming back but they can wait another season. 

3 hours ago, YorkshireSection said:

Hoping Stockport can beat County and then stuff Torquay. Good away day is Stockport, proper football team, old school football ground with some cracking eateries located in the nearby town centre.

(Notts) County actually lost today against Torquay - Stockport play Hartlepool(s) tomorrow.

43 minutes ago, havanatopia said:

Not following this one. Stockport play Hartlepool. I think that will be a fairly tight affair as it happens. Good to see Stockport coming back but they can wait another season. 

I have no allegiance to either, but would like to see Hartlepool back in the league, if only to see their wonderful last away day of the season themed fancy dress outings.  

image.jpeg.1643f1dcca38959a7bee65c2e0bef21a.jpeg

image.jpeg.ffa7266676f008b672f7b83eb1209877.jpeg

image.jpeg.b50ca313fb5b7f8ef085c944bbf16ce5.jpeg

image.jpeg.8652040732bc9244da3ecc0853901ea6.jpeg

Hartlepool United bans swords as fans plan to wear medieval knight fancy  dress

12 hours ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

I have no allegiance to either, but would like to see Hartlepool back in the league,

I'm with you on this one, but for a different reason.

Dunno why, but I've had a passing interest in Hartlepool and actually felt sorry for them in 03/04 play off semi final. To get there Hartlepool had their highest ever finish in the league. It was just unlucky for them they came up against City.

The following season 'pool finished 6th again and again failed in the play offs. The season after that they were relegated to the bottom division.

If Torquay win; then it's another West Country team in the league.

If Hartlepool win; then it's a long distance game for gas heads to travel to on a wet Tuesday night in November or else a  cold day in January.

There were a load of Northerners on Twitter , pissing and moaning about the Gate being chosen for the final. Lots of complaining that most of the teams were from up there and they should have used xxxxx (fill in any name here) . I'm so glad Torquay made it. I wonder what the allowed attendance will be.

3 minutes ago, 1960maaan said:

There were a load of Northerners on Twitter , pissing and moaning about the Gate being chosen for the final. Lots of complaining that most of the teams were from up there and they should have used xxxxx (fill in any name here) . I'm so glad Torquay made it. I wonder what the allowed attendance will be.

Less than 7000 or so I've heard. 

Even some Torquay were moaning as they'd like to take more than 4000. I don't think they realise how few stadia are available, most will be ré seeding or laying new pitches, then there's all the covid stuff. 

They should count themselves lucky its a shortish drive and a chance to see 1 stand that has 5x as many seats as their own ground does 

21 hours ago, ralphindevon said:

Less than 7000 or so I've heard. 

Even some Torquay were moaning as they'd like to take more than 4000. I don't think they realise how few stadia are available, most will be ré seeding or laying new pitches, then there's all the covid stuff. 

They should count themselves lucky its a shortish drive and a chance to see 1 stand that has 5x as many seats as their own ground does 

3,300 per club. With the various sponsors and freebies, attendance will be around 7,500 level.

Sad for what would've been a big pay-day for Torquay and Hartlepool in a normal year, but the clubs I feel really sorry for were those leading the National League South & North. Games won in early season just expunged and another year in Tier 6 no matter how well they were doing. 

2 hours ago, Red-Robbo said:

3,300 per club. With the various sponsors and freebies, attendance will be around 7,500 level.

Sad for what would've been a big pay-day for Torquay and Hartlepool in a normal year, but the clubs I feel really sorry for were those leading the National League South & North. Games won in early season just expunged and another year in Tier 6 no matter how well they were doing. 

Just because a club is doing well early in the season

it does mean they will go on and win anything

Ask any Spurs fan they will tell you that!!!!

14 hours ago, Maltshoveller said:

Just because a club is doing well early in the season

it does mean they will go on and win anything

Ask any Spurs fan they will tell you that!!!!

As would any City fan!!

These clubs had no chance of proving whether they'd maintain or otherwise though.  Two desperately poor clubs get to stay in Tier 5 while others are consigned to another season in the small-time.

Unavoidable,  but still irritating for them. 

It's really interesting to read City fans' thoughts on Gary Johnson, or Sir Gary as we Yeovil Town fans like to call him.

Arrived at HP in 2001/02 after we missed out on the Conference title the season previous. Very much a "Gary Who?" when he was unveiled but gradually introduced a playing style easy on the eye and we finished third in the Conference that season. However, the big buzz was our first major cup (major to us, anyway) when we lifted the FA Trophy at Villa Park against Stevenage. That Trophy run featured an incredible game v Doncaster Rovers at Belle Vue where we were 3-0 down after 55 minutes but somehow won with a 90th minute Terry Skiverton winner. 

The next season, 2002/03 was THE season won the Conference title. The luck that Robbored mentions clearly came to the fore when in the first game when striker Adam Stansfield, a huge part of the Trophy success, broke his leg in the first game and didn't play again for a year. Won the first five "home" games down at Dorchester (our pitch was relaid, GJ's idea) but the whole season was just unbelievable, playing fantastic football & crowds flooding into Huish Park. I'll happily debate with anyone that no team before, or since, has played that level of quality football. Won the title by 17 points, clinched it before our live TV game at Doncaster which we won 4-0, scored 100 goals, unbeaten from Boxing Day, 53 points at home. GJ didn't rest on his laurels, always pushing the team and the club forward - that Donny game for example, we'd won the title, no need to push. Next two games, beat Daggers 4-0 and Burton 6-1. FFS, stop GJ, we can't cope. Best ever Conference team? Yep. 

Going to have to shorten this, you'll all be asleep soon. ?

Next season, 2003/04, missed out on a back-to-back promotion on goal difference. Needed to beat Lincoln by 5 clear goals and hope other results went our way, didn't happen. Great football.

2005/06. Won League Two, Phil Jevons couldn't stop scoring, 29 goals in all comps. Brilliant football.

2006/07, leaves us for you.

2012, comes back to Yeovil in January, 30 points in last 19 games saves us from relegation.

2012/13, we reach the Championship. Blinding football again, Paddy Madden scoring in eight successive games, beat Harry Maguire's Sheffield United in playoff semi, beat Brentford at Wembley in the Final, happy days. 

Yes, we went down the next season and yes, maybe GJ falling out with Madden didn't help but the board didn't back GJ and the near-inevitable drop happened. GJ left the following season and it's funny that since then, with one small exception, we've scrapped for seven relegations out of eight seasons since. 

I wrote a book in 2013 based on Yeovil's first decade in the Football League and Sir Gary hand signed all 500 copies for me to help make it a success. The interview with him at his house took 3 hours, he'd made lunch for me too. Nothing was off limits, he spoke openly and honestly, admitting mistakes where they happened. 

In summary, GJ deserves a statue and a stand named after him at Yeovil. If I had the ability to arrange that, I'd do it. Managed us for 383 games at four different levels (including one that Pep would have struggled with) and won 45% of them. Three promotions + a FA Trophy. Guys a God. Yes, he falls out with players but he's managed for 1,138 games, who wouldn't have? Not going to impose my opinions of his time at AG on you as you all know better than me but his record is out there.

Hope he wins this weekend, he deserves it. 

Archived