IGNORED

Euro 2020 Opener - Turkey vs Italy

Unan

Really impressed by Italy. High tempo pressing and lots of crisp passing and movement, reminded me of Leeds! Some nice touches from Turkey too. Great start, just what every football fan needed.

No historionics and only two bookings which was refreshing.

36 minutes ago, Maltshoveller said:

World class going forward!!

Kane Yes

Foden in time

Rashford Sterling and DKL not close to world class

Sancho is yet to show his talent in an England shirt but has been in the Bundesliga Team of the year two out of the last three years despite only being 21. He’s not a million miles away. Although he’s a midfielder, Mason Mount is becoming a top tier midfielder. 

2 hours ago, bris red said:

It’s a scary thought. We are world class going forward but quite literally Championship level at the back.

Really? James & Chilwell have just won the Champions League, Trippier has won La Liga, Stones & Walker have won the Premier League.

Maguire and Shaw have just come 2nd in the Premier league, Mings was a big part of the defence which had the 2nd best defensive record outside of the top 6.

We are quite literally full of champions and winners at the back.

Wow Italy were amazing, what a performance. I think Turkey are a decent team and will finish second in that group but they couldn't get near the Italians.

Italy are just missing a world class strikeforce but they are definitely up there as one of the favourites for me. It would be nice to see an England team as well coached as that but hasn't happened in my lifetime.

24 minutes ago, cidercity1987 said:

Wow Italy were amazing, what a performance. I think Turkey are a decent team and will finish second in that group but they couldn't get near the Italians.

Italy are just missing a world class strikeforce but they are definitely up there as one of the favourites for me. It would be nice to see an England team as well coached as that but hasn't happened in my lifetime.

Good post. Italy very good. With few exceptions, tournament football often brings the best out of them as individuals and as a team. In the same way as tournament football seldom does for England and English players. Why is that?

The more tangible difference, if we want to compare the two teams is the coaching. Italy have a very proven winner leading them. England don't.

Not to say these are the things that will determine the outcome of this tournament of course, but they certainly help.

16 minutes ago, Red7 said:

Hoping that England will play with a similar tempo to Italy, with and without the ball. They were in Turkey's faces for the whole game.

Well we can always hope. I'm expecting to see lots of sideways balls at the back and a slow, ponderous build-up myself. If Grealish isn't in the team we will probably struggle to break sides down. 

Italy's movement off the ball was very impressive I thought. Well ahead of anything I've seen from England under GS 

9 hours ago, 2015 said:

Can I also say how refreshing it was to have a good Referee. Thought he was outstanding. Ours have fallen way below the standards.

I thought exactly the same. And VAR too: I hate it in the Prem, but whatever and however they were doing it yesterday it seemed to be done in a way that didn’t spoil the flow of the game. I don’t know whether they were using it in a different way to the Prem, but I could be won over again if it was always done like that. 

Archived