IGNORED

Nigel Pearson interview

And Its Smith

Latest interview on OS.  Hoping to sign Simpson and Weimann this week and then wants another 5 players.  Been a lot of chat on here about signing 10 ish players but always thought the aim would be less than that and then incorporate some youngsters as we look to build towards play offs over the next 2 seasons 

Sounds a bit impatient and wants to be able to play 11 v 11 in pre season training games and pre season starts soon!

Throwing a marker out there for the players.  Said they're athletes (inferring that they should be keeping fit over the break).  Got them in for two days testing next week.  Those that pass the tests get another week off.  Those that don't remain in training.  

Off to a training camp in Loughborough.  Three sessions a day there.  Wry smile and said the players would get used to it.

Spoke of Rennie and again brought up fitness.  Obviously  - as he's already stated - something clearly wrong there last season. 

10 minutes ago, And Its Smith said:

Latest interview on OS.  Hoping to sign Simpson and Weimann this week and then wants another 5 players.  Been a lot of chat on here about signing 10 ish players but always thought the aim would be less than that and then incorporate some youngsters as we look to build towards play offs over the next 2 seasons 

Sounds a bit impatient and wants to be able to play 11 v 11 in pre season training games and pre season starts soon!

who knows if its five or six or seven players need to be bought in. We have enough young talent coming and progressing through the academy and these youngsters would develop well if what I think we only need two additional players and not the posts going around six, seven or even more. I think play offs will be a high end KPI for all players and staff next season and my bet is that it will be achieved. 

2 minutes ago, City oz said:

who knows if its five or six or seven players need to be bought in. We have enough young talent coming and progressing through the academy and these youngsters would develop well if what I think we only need two additional players and not the posts going around six, seven or even more. I think play offs will be a high end KPI for all players and staff next season and my bet is that it will be achieved. 

You think we will get play offs? That would be a huge achievement. I’d happily take 12th playing good football 

I personally really like his interviews, takes him a while to get to the point but always gives an honest answer. 

Particularly liked what he said about actually having fit players, definite subtle dig at last seasons fitness issues. 

Interesting to see he wants a whole new core to the team too - two CB’s, two CM’s and a goal scorer.

Refreshing for a manager to be so honest and to recognise the fans , and the need to keep them informed.  What really came out for me me the Fit in or **** off.  It seems he has his own ideas and that he will get thinks done his way, if you don't want to play go. No waffle just honest answers. Looking forward to seeing how it all work out.

9 minutes ago, BCFC_95 said:

I personally really like his interviews, takes him a while to get to the point but always gives an honest answer. 

Particularly liked what he said about actually having fit players, definite subtle dig at last seasons fitness issues. 

Interesting to see he wants a whole new core to the team too - two CB’s, two CM’s and a goal scorer.

I think we need someone like Fammy, but a bit quicker and direct 

18 minutes ago, City oz said:

I think that more experienced players allows him to rotate the youngsters more, youngers players don't necessarily need physical rest, but the step up can be mentally tiring. 

It will allow him to make changes when the inevitable dip in form comes.

11 minutes ago, Redpool said:

He has the book Extreme Ownership which is no surprise to me. Gone up even more in my view of him. 

Yeah, I noticed the specially placed books on the coffee table!

I wonder if the interview idea came from the club or from Nigel himself?

26 minutes ago, cityloyal473 said:

Throwing a marker out there for the players.  Said they're athletes (inferring that they should be keeping fit over the break).  Got them in for two days testing next week.  Those that pass the tests get another week off.  Those that don't remain in training.  

Off to a training camp in Loughborough.  Three sessions a day there.  Wry smile and said the players would get used to it.

Spoke of Rennie and again brought up fitness.  Obviously  - as he's already stated - something clearly wrong there last season. 

Fitness is key. Look how these playing for Turkey tired yesterday

18 minutes ago, BCFC_95 said:

“I’m not pointing the finger” means he’s doing exactly that.  Good luck Ipswich!

13 minutes ago, Finley_Smith10 said:

Said 2 Centre Halves, 2 Centre Mids and a striker as his ‘5’ signings but not ruling out loans aswell. 

basically we need a new spine. Decent interview and it’s nice to actually get some updates as it does seem to be moving abit slow 

Here’s what I wrote for a Bristol Post article on Thursday night.

2A222A85-6268-4C82-9974-97780B6FF445.thumb.jpeg.c2dc0647037b5c4fba93f890843df2a7.jpeg

8 minutes ago, Rossi the Robin said:

I think we need someone like Fammy, but a bit quicker and direct 

So, nothing like Fammy then ???

6 minutes ago, And Its Smith said:

You think we will get play offs? That would be a huge achievement. I’d happily take 12th playing good football 

Great interview again from NP. He's obviously picked up on the lack of clarity and communication from the club in the past, and is determined for that to improve.

I think he's cleared up a few points as well:-

- Recognises the need to focus on getting the defence sorted as the main priority.

- Doesn't seem to think the club will need new full backs at this time. Seems to indicate to me that Vyner will be moving to RB (confirmed wants 2 CBs as well). That allied to the possible Simpson resigning, manages that position. I can't see any signings at LB as well. We're going with what we have there. Puts the Douglas rumour to bed i think.

- 2 x CM. Someone is leaving from that position then. Got to be Nagy for me. Last year of contract, no new one will be given on current terms; time to cash in.

- If he thinks that the 5 possibles ( CB,CM,CF) will be fantastic; then we are certainly be looking to keep the under 23s involved in the marchday squad. Maybe one or two of them off on loan elsewhere, but not loads of them. Hopefully the EFL keeps the 5 subs out of 7. Allows us to use a lot of the youngsters in the matchday squad.

- It may well be that some of the current squad don't want to stay. NP isn't afraid of making strong decisions here. If they don't show the right attitude here, then they're gone i think. He'll have to time for wantaways. Confirms we'll know about Weimann and Simpson in the next week.

- Next season is going to be a massive struggle. He knows to turn around the quite frankly shockingly bad results of the second half of last season will be a Herculean task.

- Waiting on the right people, rather than just getting bodies in. I think that indicates possible transfer fees being spent(low numbers of course). I think that relies on others going out for fees (Nagy, Semenyeo?) For the finances to start to flow, and the domino transfer effect to start.

All fun this isn't it ?

Does anybody know if footballers are exempt form the Covid quarantine rules?

He says everyone will be having a fitness test on Friday but if a player is only returning from abroad, holiday or where they’re from, then they’ll be cutting it fine to make it to the training ground for Friday.

3 minutes ago, ralphindevon said:

I’ve always wondered how Nige has managed to go all this time without killing a football agent.

Now I have the answer “ I don’t deal with agents”

I imagine he'd deal with them the same way as he dealt with that wolf pack.

35 minutes ago, Finley_Smith10 said:

Said 2 Centre Halves, 2 Centre Mids and a striker as his ‘5’ signings but not ruling out loans aswell. 

basically we need a new spine. Decent interview and it’s nice to actually get some updates as it does seem to be moving abit slow 

I was surprised that he didn't mention wingers, so looking at who we have. left - O'Dowda, Owura Edwards, right - Semenyo (if he's talking about recruiting another forward), Weimann (perhaps a hesitancy to sign? Wants to play upfront and I don't think he'd be looking for a forward if he counted Wells, Martin, Weimann with Antoine available as a strike force) and Sam Pearson (get the impression he'll stick around)

Would have liked a question on the younger players and whether some had done enough to put themselves in the frame.

3 minutes ago, ralphindevon said:

Does anybody know if footballers are exempt form the Covid quarantine rules?

He says everyone will be having a fitness test on Friday but if a player is only returning from abroad, holiday or where they’re from, then they’ll be cutting it fine to make it to the training ground for Friday.

Cant imagine that's his concern.  They'll have had plenty of warning.  Players are told to be somewhere they need to be there.  He's not responsible for the logistics.  Woe betide someone who somehow doesn't make it. 

56 minutes ago, City oz said:

Well, NP actually says he wants five new players. 
Some of the kids are promising but if we only brought in two new players, I’m fairly certain we’d be relegated. My evidence for that is last season’s collapse when a lot of the kids were playing. The Championship is ruthless. It’s not a league for wishful thinking.

18 minutes ago, cityloyal473 said:

An underlying message from all his interviews has been you're either on board or you're not.  Only winners wanted.  I like the bluntness and clear messaging.  

In all the interviews I’ve seen with Nige he has always been a straight talking and impressive guy and this interview just reinforces that. I imagine it was his idea to do the interview.

Certainly a refreshing change from the days of Ashton and LJ when we fans had no idea what was going on during the summer. We heard nothing from either of them - this is very different and a positive sign of things to come.

Sounded like to me Weimann and Simpson have a deadline of this week to sign the deals they have been offered. Fair enough if so as they have probably had a month to see if there is legitimate interest elsewhere. 

I can agree about the spine. Not sure we need two CMs though. 2 cbs, 1 cm, 1 striker and 1 winger sounds right to me. 

Really threw the last lead medical guy under the bus. Which is deserved! He softened it up a bit as he went on but clearly saw some big problems in his short time here so far. 

Glad to hear him talk about the wage bill. Think we were around 17-18m in our first couple of seasons in the championship. Think that went up to the 25m range in recent years. That is ridiculous imo. We need to be operating in the 20m range. That is still plenty to build a championship side capable of pushing the top 6. 

Quite happy with the update. I am still a bit worried about the 5 coming in. We do still have a lot of youth here and need more experience around the place. That said if it is 5 28-32 year olds, I’d be quite disappointed. We still need to look out for some 23-25 year olds ready to contribute. That is something we will have to see develop though. 

Archived