IGNORED

Nigel Pearson interview

And Its Smith

A good interview, many a loaded comment!

Obviously, 2 CB's, 2 CM's and a forward stick out.

What does that mean for Taylor Moore and Vyner at the back? Vyner back to RB and Moore cover? If I was Moore, this is, what, his 5th season here, now 24, i'd be wanting first team football - so wouldn't be surprised to see him leave.

And what does that mean for Nagy, Bakinson, Williams, HNM (and even Palmer?) in CM? Either 1 or 2 are off or not highly rated.

58 minutes ago, Midred said:

Yeah, I noticed the specially placed books on the coffee table!

I wonder if the interview idea came from the club or from Nigel himself?

I’m going to say Nigel. I’ve noticed since coming in his method of management is very similar to Jocko Willinks. Who has also helped me become a better Manager.

19 minutes ago, Redpool said:

I’m going to say Nigel. I’ve noticed since coming in his method of management is very similar to Jocko Willinks. Who has also helped me become a better Manager.

It feels a bit gimmicky and doesn't look like it was filmed in his own office so was probably the media team's bright idea, unfortunately. 

36 minutes ago, Alessandro said:

What does that mean for Taylor Moore and Vyner at the back? Vyner back to RB and Moore cover? If I was Moore, this is, what, his 5th season here, now 24, i'd be wanting first team football - so wouldn't be surprised to see him leave.

And what does that mean for Nagy, Bakinson, Williams, HNM (and even Palmer?) in CM? Either 1 or 2 are off or not highly rated.

Your observation about central midfield players occurred to me too. 
I wonder what NP’s comment says about Williams’ future fitness as well.

14 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

It feels a bit gimmicky and doesn't look like it was filmed in his own office so was probably the media team's bright idea, unfortunately. 

I’d like to think the idea to talk about summer progress was Nigels. But I’d agree the environment was setup by media.

1 hour ago, BCFC_95 said:

I personally really like his interviews, takes him a while to get to the point but always gives an honest answer. 

Particularly liked what he said about actually having fit players, definite subtle dig at last seasons fitness issues. 

Interesting to see he wants a whole new core to the team too - two CB’s, two CM’s and a goal scorer.

I really enjoy them too, highlights for me from this one include....his wonderment at so many fans renewing season tickets and their belief, the testing next week ‘if they meet the requirements they’ll get another week off’, three training sessions a day which ‘might amuse some players’ and ‘the only thing you can take care of is yourself, if you don’t you deserve what you get’.

For anybody that fancies some bedtime reading, The Energy Bus, Extreme Ownership and The Self-Sufficiency Bible also featured ? 

If you fancy knowing a bit more about the books on the table here you have it....

The energy bus - https://fourminutebooks.com/the-energy-bus-summary/

Extreme ownership - https://fourminutebooks.com/extreme-ownership-summary/

The self-sufficiency bible - speaks for its self

Whether they were planted for effect or are key books in NPs library remains a mystery ?

46 minutes ago, Bristol_South_End said:

I wonder if Nahki is someone we might be looking to move on. If Nige wants a striker who can "put the ball in the back of the net", really that's Nahki's only role as things stand. Would be one of the highest earners too, so replacing him with a lower league prospect could save a lot of wages.

I think there's probably a few players, and their contracts that the club would like to move on (KP is another one that springs to mind).

However who do you shift them on to? The only teams with any money will be PL, and Parachute teams. I don't think any of the current squad would be targets for any of these clubs.

Really good interview and answered a lot of what we have all been wondering, what is going on behind the scenes.

What I picked up on was;

If you don't want to be here don't let the door hit you on the ass on the way out.

He wants optimal fitness and as he said players are athletes, so no excuse when you're on a million quid a year.

He wants players that he can trust, and personality is very important to him, he want's players that will run through brick walls.

He want's a strong spine to the team and want's to be difficult to beat, along with a striker who can score, so keep the ball out the net, and hopefully stick one in at the other end.

Very very happy with Bentley.

No BS about top 6 and all that other crap we have had to listen to before. I'd imagine he want's a middle table finish.

49 minutes ago, Alessandro said:

I think one or two might go.  Think the candidates who are either gonna be on the phone to their agents or busting a gut to make sure it’s not them are:

• Moore
  • Nagy
  • Palmer

But I don’t think he will be forcing them out the door, will depend what their actions are and what he can bring in.

Im pretty sure that confirms Zak Vyner at RB, which means as it stands Taylor Moore is the first choice to partner Kalas.  If he wants 2 CBs and 2 CMs it seems highly unlikely that Zak is being considered for midfield.  But of course his versatility could come in handy when needed.

In a perverse way I’m hoping Czech Republic and Hungary bomb out in the group stages, so we get them back ASAP.

Interesting re Striker.  I mentioned last week I could possibly see NP going with two up top, one main striker one secondary striker, so might be a bit more 442 / 4411….we’ll see.  We saw that will Wells and Bell v Stoke….unfortunately for just 16 mins…our best spell of the game!

1 hour ago, ralphindevon said:

I just clicked on the “No knee” thread thinking it was about the state of Nigel’s knees!

i saw that and wondered if that was new knees in later life after a hard playing career. certainly some big scars!

Since he arrived, I’ve listened to a LOT of Pearson’s interviews. Not just with us but at his previous clubs and also various podcasts, radio interviews etc. 

Having watched so much of him, I feel I know his personality - at least the persona he gives across in these interviews.  

This one today is the most exasperated I’ve ever seen him. He was clearly not very happy with how the recruitment has progressed so far. As others have pointed out, there was still the subtle (not) digs at the players fitness - so it obviously wasn’t just those who’ve now left he wasn’t impressed with last season. He scoffed at the question of Gould’s arrival - almost as if to say “about effing time someone started running this shitshow”. 

I sense that he is not at all happy that he’s not been able to bring anyone else in, either on the coaching team or recruitment side (ie Walsh, McKenzie etc). 

He didn’t sound like a man who was in a happy place; although he also sounded as if he was prepared to embrace the huge challenge. 

1 minute ago, Harry said:

Since he arrived, I’ve listened to a LOT of Pearson’s interviews. Not just with us but at his previous clubs and also various podcasts, radio interviews etc. 

Having watched so much of him, I feel I know his personality - at least the persona he gives across in these interviews.  

This one today is the most exasperated I’ve ever seen him. He was clearly not very happy with how the recruitment has progressed so far. As others have pointed out, there was still the subtle (not) digs at the players fitness - so it obviously wasn’t just those who’ve now left he wasn’t impressed with last season. He scoffed at the question of Gould’s arrival - almost as if to say “about effing time someone started running this shitshow”. 

I sense that he is not at all happy that he’s not been able to bring anyone else in, either on the coaching team or recruitment side (ie Walsh, McKenzie etc). 

He didn’t sound like a man who was in a happy place; although he also sounded as if he was prepared to embrace the huge challenge. 

I didn’t read it like that.  I get he might have frustrations that he hasn’t brought in anyone yet, but I also heard him say he himself needs to be more flexible in this climate.

Some players will want to take their time, the better ones who will have choice.  Some players, the ones wanting security will sign quickly.

Certainly a couple of digs too.

14 minutes ago, Harry said:

Just finished listening. Personally didn't get that impression, at all.

What he does want is 11 v 11 drills as soon as possible in pre-season. This requires us to do some business asap which might well prove difficult - a fact he seemed realistic about, although I fully expect him to be "exasperated" and "not at all happy" if those signings don't materialise until the last minute.  

3 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

I didn’t read it like that.  I get he might have frustrations that he hasn’t brought in anyone yet, but I also heard him say he himself needs to be more flexible in this climate.

Some players will want to take their time, the better ones who will have choice.  Some players, the ones wanting security will sign quickly.

Certainly a couple of digs too.

I think he started off by displaying his frustrations but then quickly tried to hide it by shifting it to ‘market forces’ instead. 

I think there’s a lot of excuses flying around about the market this year - it’s the same as any other season when there’s a major competition- there’ll be a waiting game, domino’s falling etc. Whilst the free agency market will be as testy as it always is. 
The process that clubs players and agents go through each year are no different (it’s just that the finances are lower, but everyone will have a budget, same as every year).

The only problem we’ve had is that no one has been in overall control of it, so we’re behind the 8-ball. Which is what I said a few weeks ago when the agents I know had said they had heard little to nothing from City. 

2 minutes ago, Merrick's Marvels said:

Just finished listening. Personally didn't get that impression, at all.

This interview alone. No. 
But compared to every other interview / podcast etc I’ve ever listened to him, there is definitely an exasperation in his voice at times. 

2 hours ago, Rossi the Robin said:

I think we need someone like Fammy, but a bit quicker and direct 

.... with a better touch, able to stay on his feet, better in the air, fitter, better finisher, harder working and more awareness- hopefully

17 minutes ago, Harry said:

I get where you're coming from @Harry, but i also think he was being pragmatic about the need for him to change as well.

He alluded to the fact that he "likes to get transfers done early", " is impatient at times", " doesn't deal with agents"; so has obviously been waiting for RG to start.

He looks like a man, who realises the huge task in front of him, wants to get going; but recognises he can't just yet. So is having to measure his responses.

Some of his NVC's show that after 20+ years of management; he is still having to learn that in this post covid climate; nothing is quite the same . Or that maybe, the realignment is going to last a lot longer than just the coming season(talks about this window, as if unsure whether the future ones will be equally difficult as well).

Certainly, he is aware that old certainties, that have been relied on aren't there at present (" clubs being reluctant to do business").

He will have to change and adapt just like everyone else.

I don't envy him at the moment. When asked about the start of the new season, he showed that he is worried about going into it, as we are set up at the moment.

1 hour ago, Bristol_South_End said:

I wonder if Nahki is someone we might be looking to move on. If Nige wants a striker who can "put the ball in the back of the net", really that's Nahki's only role as things stand. Would be one of the highest earners too, so replacing him with a lower league prospect could save a lot of wages.

He could actually try putting Weimann there since he actually wants to play there. When we had Fam out and Weimann played in the middle he did ok, unfortunately the return of Fam saw him pushed wide again. 

Personally I'd like to see Wells moved on, use the savings to offer Weimann a better deal than it sounds like he's been offered so far, then grab a lower league cover or use one of the kids we already have. 

11 minutes ago, NcnsBcfc said:

I get where you're coming from @Harry, but i also think he was being pragmatic about the need for him to change as well.

Did you see the well-positioned book collection? 
This was him saying “it’s a shitshow here, but I’m coming to terms with it and will take responsibility myself”. 

9 minutes ago, Harry said:

Did you see the well-positioned book collection? 
This was him saying “it’s a shitshow here, but I’m coming to terms with it and will take responsibility myself”. 

I see that as a big positive….keep it in the hands of the football-people, not the football-wannabes!

1 hour ago, Jerseybean said:

If you fancy knowing a bit more about the books on the table here you have it....

The energy bus - https://fourminutebooks.com/the-energy-bus-summary/

Extreme ownership - https://fourminutebooks.com/extreme-ownership-summary/

The self-sufficiency bible - speaks for its self

Whether they were planted for effect or are key books in NPs library remains a mystery ?

The complete book of Bullshit , two copies , went to the North East and Suffolk.

1 hour ago, Sniper said:

Really good interview and answered a lot of what we have all been wondering, what is going on behind the scenes.

What I picked up on was;

If you don't want to be here don't let the door hit you on the ass on the way out.

He wants optimal fitness and as he said players are athletes, so no excuse when you're on a million quid a year.

He wants players that he can trust, and personality is very important to him, he want's players that will run through brick walls.

He want's a strong spine to the team and want's to be difficult to beat, along with a striker who can score, so keep the ball out the net, and hopefully stick one in at the other end.

Very very happy with Bentley.

No BS about top 6 and all that other crap we have had to listen to before. I'd imagine he want's a middle table finish.

Isn’t all that what every manager wants ? 

Archived