IGNORED

Nigel Pearson interview

And Its Smith

23 hours ago, ralphindevon said:

I’ve always wondered how Nige has managed to go all this time without killing a football agent.

Now I have the answer “ I don’t deal with agents”

So who is doing our deals at the moment, now Ashton has gone? Has Richard Gould started yet?  It’ll be interesting to see how he fares dealing with them having only worked in cricket for the last decade since leaving City. 

On 12/06/2021 at 10:19, And Its Smith said:

Latest interview on OS.  Hoping to sign Simpson and Weimann this week and then wants another 5 players.  Been a lot of chat on here about signing 10 ish players but always thought the aim would be less than that and then incorporate some youngsters as we look to build towards play offs over the next 2 seasons 

Sounds a bit impatient and wants to be able to play 11 v 11 in pre season training games and pre season starts soon!

Seems an odd thing to say IMO. There are plenty of U-23s to make up an 11 v 11. This is the most common way of doing it in normal times anyway.

Not sure he is ever going to have 22 "legit" senior First team pros from now on. 

23 minutes ago, eric04 said:

So who is doing our deals at the moment, now Ashton has gone? Has Richard Gould started yet?  It’ll be interesting to see how he fares dealing with them having only worked in cricket for the last decade since leaving City. 

Yes I think he’s started now and I’ve full faith in him doing a good job.

So I guess it’s him, Jon and Nigel...........just don’t let Nige near the players agent

27 minutes ago, eric04 said:

Gould officially left Surrey last week, there was a photo of his leaving presentation on social media & so he starts tomorrow.

However I read into Pearson’s comments that he has already been doing bits & pieces with his temporary successor at Surrey already in post for a while.

The fact that it is football not cricket isn’t really relevant (I personally think it is an advantage) Gould’s role here is to negotiate deals & contracts, not say who he thinks is the best central defender in League One.

I think he knows that, so the suspicion that the previous post holder massively exceeded his brief & created an empire of sycophants is one worry I don’t have with Richard Gould.

1 hour ago, cidered abroad said:

A simple thanks to Nigel Pearson and the media team. He didn't tell us anything that the great majority of us are not aware of.

But the fact that he did, speaks volumes about him. He wants everyone involved; it's called teamwork!

He wants everyone to feel part of the club, very keen on all being part of it, players, coaches, admin staff, and other behind the scenes people.  etc

11 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Gould officially left Surrey last week, there was a photo of his leaving presentation on social media & so he starts tomorrow.

However I read into Pearson’s comments that he has already been doing bits & pieces with his temporary successor at Surrey already in post for a while.

The fact that it is football not cricket isn’t really relevant (I personally think it is an advantage) Gould’s role here is to negotiate deals & contracts, not say who he thinks is the best central defender in League One.

I think he knows that, so the suspicion that the previous post holder massively exceeded his brief & created an empire of sycophants is one worry I don’t have with Richard Gould.

I'm not sure Ashton exceeded his brief given that the club explicitly said he was in control of all day to day football operations.

The problem was giving so much control to one person, who wasn't qualified for the role anyway.

I'm happy with Gould too. Provided he hasn't brought his own player database with him. ?

On 12/06/2021 at 11:06, NcnsBcfc said:

Great interview again from NP. He's obviously picked up on the lack of clarity and communication from the club in the past, and is determined for that to improve.

I think he's cleared up a few points as well:-

- Recognises the need to focus on getting the defence sorted as the main priority.

- Doesn't seem to think the club will need new full backs at this time. Seems to indicate to me that Vyner will be moving to RB (confirmed wants 2 CBs as well). That allied to the possible Simpson resigning, manages that position. I can't see any signings at LB as well. We're going with what we have there. Puts the Douglas rumour to bed i think.

- 2 x CM. Someone is leaving from that position then. Got to be Nagy for me. Last year of contract, no new one will be given on current terms; time to cash in.

- If he thinks that the 5 possibles ( CB,CM,CF) will be fantastic; then we are certainly be looking to keep the under 23s involved in the marchday squad. Maybe one or two of them off on loan elsewhere, but not loads of them. Hopefully the EFL keeps the 5 subs out of 7. Allows us to use a lot of the youngsters in the matchday squad.

- It may well be that some of the current squad don't want to stay. NP isn't afraid of making strong decisions here. If they don't show the right attitude here, then they're gone i think. He'll have to time for wantaways. Confirms we'll know about Weimann and Simpson in the next week.

- Next season is going to be a massive struggle. He knows to turn around the quite frankly shockingly bad results of the second half of last season will be a Herculean task.

- Waiting on the right people, rather than just getting bodies in. I think that indicates possible transfer fees being spent(low numbers of course). I think that relies on others going out for fees (Nagy, Semenyeo?) For the finances to start to flow, and the domino transfer effect to start.

All fun this isn't it ?

It was good to hear him say................that we are very blessed in the  goalkeeper position?  Hopefully this may mean that Bentley will stick around?   It is also extremely refreshing for Nige to come out and communicate with the fan base, it is something that has been sadly missing in the past, and if the the need to strengthen the bond between club and support remains paramount, it can only help our future prospects.    For a club to be successful, that link with the loyal support can be  very beneficial, and really make a difference.      Long may you remain in civvies Nige, if it means lots more of these bulletins will be forthcoming?  ?             

50 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Agree.

33 minutes ago, chinapig said:

I'm not sure Ashton exceeded his brief given that the club explicitly said he was in control of all day to day football operations.

The problem was giving so much control to one person, who wasn't qualified for the role anyway.

I'm happy with Gould too. Provided he hasn't brought his own player database with him. ?

A CEO shouldn’t need to be too involved (involved at all???) in the lower-level “doing”.

He created a role to allow him to meddle.

I will be watching with interest how many photos / comments come from Gould when we sign a player.  I get the impression he won’t be.  I always disliked the prominence of Ashton on our deals….and in some respects he’s become worse at Ipswich already.

43 minutes ago, maxjak said:

It was good to hear him say................that we are very blessed in the  goalkeeper position?  Hopefully this may mean that Bentley will stick around?   It is also extremely refreshing for Nige to come out and communicate with the fan base, it is something that has been sadly missing in the past, and if the the need to strengthen the bond between club and support remains paramount, it can only help our future prospects.    For a club to be successful, that link with the loyal support can be  very beneficial, and really make a difference.      Long may you remain in civvies Nige, if it means lots more of these bulletins will be forthcoming?  ?             

Amen.

Re the goalkeeper, I do think it extends beyond Bentley, though clearly he sees him as our number 1.

He said after the Brentford game he had been in “planning mode” for a while & the previous week when we played at Millwall, he gave Max a go.

In his post match interview for that one when he was again irritated by our performance, he went out of his way to say how well Max had done.

I don’t think for a minute that he sees Max as a starter in front of Bentley bar injury, but sees him as a good deputy, who is probably on the sort of wages we want all squad members to be on in future.

23 hours ago, Harry said:

Since he arrived, I’ve listened to a LOT of Pearson’s interviews. Not just with us but at his previous clubs and also various podcasts, radio interviews etc. 

Having watched so much of him, I feel I know his personality - at least the persona he gives across in these interviews.  

This one today is the most exasperated I’ve ever seen him. He was clearly not very happy with how the recruitment has progressed so far. As others have pointed out, there was still the subtle (not) digs at the players fitness - so it obviously wasn’t just those who’ve now left he wasn’t impressed with last season. He scoffed at the question of Gould’s arrival - almost as if to say “about effing time someone started running this shitshow”. 

I sense that he is not at all happy that he’s not been able to bring anyone else in, either on the coaching team or recruitment side (ie Walsh, McKenzie etc). 

He didn’t sound like a man who was in a happy place; although he also sounded as if he was prepared to embrace the huge challenge. 

I certainly did not read it that way at all.

1 hour ago, GrahamC said:

He may refer back to his father?

Good ol' Bobby. Punched one into the net at Villa Park when it was easier to head it. Thus we only drew 2-2.

23 hours ago, Harry said:

I think he started off by displaying his frustrations but then quickly tried to hide it by shifting it to ‘market forces’ instead. 

I think there’s a lot of excuses flying around about the market this year - it’s the same as any other season when there’s a major competition- there’ll be a waiting game, domino’s falling etc. Whilst the free agency market will be as testy as it always is. 
The process that clubs players and agents go through each year are no different (it’s just that the finances are lower, but everyone will have a budget, same as every year).

The only problem we’ve had is that no one has been in overall control of it, so we’re behind the 8-ball. Which is what I said a few weeks ago when the agents I know had said they had heard little to nothing from City. 

Due to Covid the market this year is VERY different and will remain that way for some time.

Just now, Phileas Fogg said:

How did you read it? Would be interesting if you expanded a bit 

Thought he came across quite positive and aware of how the pandemic has affected all aspects of football. Whilst he likes to get some business done early he is aware that the landscape has changed and accepts that he himself needs to accept things as they are and not get impatient. Liked what I heard TBH. Now just needs to turn that into results.

41 minutes ago, BigTone said:

I certainly did not read it that way at all.

Nor me. I thought his interview was excellent with no hidden agenda. It was a pleasant surprise to hear from the manager during the close season - the first time I can remember that happening.

8 minutes ago, View from the Dolman said:

Maybe given a little extra time off after his Jamaica International duty?

Oh yeah, good thinking. 

I think HNM is still in Paris but I guess if there's one player you won't be worrying about fitness wise it's him. 

He could have been on a McDonald's diet for the last 4 weeks and would still run non stop for 90 minutes 

1 hour ago, ralphindevon said:

I don't know why I'm worrying about it so much but now Kasey Palmer has posted an Instagram photo of him and his family flying off on holiday... What about the fitness test??? 

I wonder if this was filmed last Sunday when I saw his car up at Failand, hence training test might’ve been Thursday and Friday of last week.

He told it as it is which is very refreshing. He mentioned we would've been relegated had the season continued for another month.

I understand having a smaller squad but that really puts pressure on NP getting the right players available early on.

Anything approaching a mid table finish will be good for me such is the state that reptile and his cronies left us in.

Its clear that fitness, discipline and robustness will be what we look for.

11 hours ago, Davefevs said:

I wonder if this was filmed last Sunday when I saw his car up at Failand, hence training test might’ve been Thursday and Friday of last week.

Interesting idea that Fevs. If true, great news Kasey passed the test no problem - I know I'm going against the grain here but I'm convinced this is going to be a real breakthrough year for KP and think he's going to be an important player for us. 

NP seems to like him as he picked him for pretty much every game he was fully fit for since he came in and imo Kasey showed how hard he can work for the team in his time in the side under NP. No doubt that had a knock on effect on the quality of his work on the ball (potentially due to those squad wide underlying fitness issues NP has constantly mentioned).

I'm sure a full fit Kasey with a full preseason - working with the coaches on learning to 'press more effectively' and NP et al having the time to work with the midfield and forwards on creative attacking plans and systems etc - KP could be a real handful next season!

I've criticised the club for not being open with us under Ashton, but this was a refreshing change and credit to Pearson for the candid interview.

The main positives:

1. the signing of Rennie, who's clearly a significant upgrade on Rolls as Pearson alluded to, and the expectation that the squad will be fit and ready for the new season.
  2. the clear intent to recruit a whole new spine made up of players with the right mentality and professionalism. 

There was a sense of exasperation over the lack of new signings. I don't know whether that's an increasing realisation the recruitment team isn't fit for purpose or a reflection of the transfer market recalibrating. Pearson's pragmatic so I lean towards the latter, despite me having zero confidence in our recruiters. 

It'll be a major concern if we haven't announced our first new signing(s) by early July, IMO, although securing Matty James in the next few weeks would go a long way to allaying those fears. 

2 hours ago, WirralRobin said:

Interesting idea that Fevs. If true, great news Kasey passed the test no problem - I know I'm going against the grain here but I'm convinced this is going to be a real breakthrough year for KP and think he's going to be an important player for us. 

NP seems to like him as he picked him for pretty much every game he was fully fit for since he came in and imo Kasey showed how hard he can work for the team in his time in the side under NP. No doubt that had a knock on effect on the quality of his work on the ball (potentially due to those squad wide underlying fitness issues NP has constantly mentioned).

I'm sure a full fit Kasey with a full preseason - working with the coaches on learning to 'press more effectively' and NP et al having the time to work with the midfield and forwards on creative attacking plans and systems etc - KP could be a real handful next season!

I really hope so 

6 hours ago, WirralRobin said:

Whatever happens or doesn't happen with Palmer, I do think both he and Nagy get a bit unfairly tagged with a perception of not really wanting to be here and not wanting to give their all for the team whereas - whilst both certainly have some flaws - I've never felt workrate or application is an issue with either of them. Palmer is a very much a form player and I'm not sure he's the best at understanding his own body and fitness but I don't remember a performance where he's not worked hard for the team, and I'd stick to that even before NP came in. 

Archived