Jump to content
IGNORED

Nigel Pearson interview


Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, Jerseybean said:

If you fancy knowing a bit more about the books on the table here you have it....

The energy bus - https://fourminutebooks.com/the-energy-bus-summary/

Extreme ownership - https://fourminutebooks.com/extreme-ownership-summary/

The self-sufficiency bible - speaks for its self

Whether they were planted for effect or are key books in NPs library remains a mystery 😌

The complete book of Bullshit , two copies , went to the North East and Suffolk.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Sniper said:

Really good interview and answered a lot of what we have all been wondering, what is going on behind the scenes.

What I picked up on was;

If you don't want to be here don't let the door hit you on the ass on the way out.

He wants optimal fitness and as he said players are athletes, so no excuse when you're on a million quid a year.

He wants players that he can trust, and personality is very important to him, he want's players that will run through brick walls.

He want's a strong spine to the team and want's to be difficult to beat, along with a striker who can score, so keep the ball out the net, and hopefully stick one in at the other end.

Very very happy with Bentley.

No BS about top 6 and all that other crap we have had to listen to before. I'd imagine he want's a middle table finish.

Isn’t all that what every manager wants ? 
 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Davefevs said:

I think one or two might go.  Think the candidates who are either gonna be on the phone to their agents or busting a gut to make sure it’s not them are:

  • Moore
  • Nagy
  • Palmer

But I don’t think he will be forcing them out the door, will depend what their actions are and what he can bring in.

Im pretty sure that confirms Zak Vyner at RB, which means as it stands Taylor Moore is the first choice to partner Kalas.  If he wants 2 CBs and 2 CMs it seems highly unlikely that Zak is being considered for midfield.  But of course his versatility could come in handy when needed.

In a perverse way I’m hoping Czech Republic and Hungary bomb out in the group stages, so we get them back ASAP.

Interesting re Striker.  I mentioned last week I could possibly see NP going with two up top, one main striker one secondary striker, so might be a bit more 442 / 4411….we’ll see.  We saw that will Wells and Bell v Stoke….unfortunately for just 16 mins…our best spell of the game!

Reckon that after two weeks or less of the new training regime NP and every player will be crystal clear whether they are part of the future. I suspect some won’t fancy NPs expectations and NP won’t except anything less than 100% pre-season. So agree one or two (or even more) might go. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Harry said:

Since he arrived, I’ve listened to a LOT of Pearson’s interviews. Not just with us but at his previous clubs and also various podcasts, radio interviews etc. 

Having watched so much of him, I feel I know his personality - at least the persona he gives across in these interviews.  

This one today is the most exasperated I’ve ever seen him. He was clearly not very happy with how the recruitment has progressed so far. As others have pointed out, there was still the subtle (not) digs at the players fitness - so it obviously wasn’t just those who’ve now left he wasn’t impressed with last season. He scoffed at the question of Gould’s arrival - almost as if to say “about effing time someone started running this shitshow”. 
 

I sense that he is not at all happy that he’s not been able to bring anyone else in, either on the coaching team or recruitment side (ie Walsh, McKenzie etc). 
 

He didn’t sound like a man who was in a happy place; although he also sounded as if he was prepared to embrace the huge challenge. 

Oh, I thought he sounded like a guy who was being pragmatic and realistic, like you say he’s up for the challenge but realises he can’t have it all his own way. 
yes he’s frustrated about the lack of fitness, and possibly the attitude of the players. He’s sending a clear message to them.

8 minutes ago, Major Isewater said:

The complete book of Bullshit , two copies , went to the North East and Suffolk.

Don’t give him any ideas! 🙄

  • Like 2
  • Flames 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, ralphindevon said:

I just clicked on the “No knee” thread thinking it was about the state of Nigel’s knees!

Incredible war wounds! Suspect he shows players his legs now and then and asks if they are prepared for such commitment! 

EEE7893C-9084-4F83-8ECB-2C628E3CB7FE.jpeg

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Davefevs said:

I think one or two might go.  Think the candidates who are either gonna be on the phone to their agents or busting a gut to make sure it’s not them are:

  • Moore
  • Nagy
  • Palmer

But I don’t think he will be forcing them out the door, will depend what their actions are and what he can bring in.

Im pretty sure that confirms Zak Vyner at RB, which means as it stands Taylor Moore is the first choice to partner Kalas.  If he wants 2 CBs and 2 CMs it seems highly unlikely that Zak is being considered for midfield.  But of course his versatility could come in handy when needed.

In a perverse way I’m hoping Czech Republic and Hungary bomb out in the group stages, so we get them back ASAP.

Interesting re Striker.  I mentioned last week I could possibly see NP going with two up top, one main striker one secondary striker, so might be a bit more 442 / 4411….we’ll see.  We saw that will Wells and Bell v Stoke….unfortunately for just 16 mins…our best spell of the game!

Nagy’s future will be complicated by him almost certainly coming back late to training from the Euros.

Moore is only going to stay with us as a 4th choice CB & even there he is under threat from Cundy, what I would say though is just one injury or suspension there sees the 4th choice on the bench.

Palmer will be hugely difficult to move on, I can see him as a sub a lot next season.

Agree re Vyner as a RB & if Simpson stays I expect him to get plenty of opportunities.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Still coming to terms with the lack of bullshit bingo from our management team. Gould will be the same when we hear from him as well I’m sure judging from interviews I’ve seen with him whilst at Surrey.  So so good to just hear it how it is in clear and plain language from those at the helm, long may it continue. 

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Harry said:

Since he arrived, I’ve listened to a LOT of Pearson’s interviews. Not just with us but at his previous clubs and also various podcasts, radio interviews etc. 

Having watched so much of him, I feel I know his personality - at least the persona he gives across in these interviews.  

This one today is the most exasperated I’ve ever seen him. He was clearly not very happy with how the recruitment has progressed so far. As others have pointed out, there was still the subtle (not) digs at the players fitness - so it obviously wasn’t just those who’ve now left he wasn’t impressed with last season. He scoffed at the question of Gould’s arrival - almost as if to say “about effing time someone started running this shitshow”. 
 

I sense that he is not at all happy that he’s not been able to bring anyone else in, either on the coaching team or recruitment side (ie Walsh, McKenzie etc). 
 

He didn’t sound like a man who was in a happy place; although he also sounded as if he was prepared to embrace the huge challenge. 

Not the entire interview but yes he did seem annoyed for what was supposed to be a casual update. 
 

I thought the Gould reaction was interesting. Think he was asked about relationship between them two and he gave a weird laugh. Couldn’t tell if it meant they weren’t seeing eye to eye or if he felt some sympathy for him and the job he has got on his hands. 
 

Think it is clear this isn’t a smooth operation at present. Understandable with major changes at all levels of the club. It is actually a bit embarrassing the club has gotten into this situation. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, JoeAman08 said:

Not the entire interview but yes he did seem annoyed for what was supposed to be a casual update. 
 

I thought the Gould reaction was interesting. Think he was asked about relationship between them two and he gave a weird laugh. Couldn’t tell if it meant they weren’t seeing eye to eye or if he felt some sympathy for him and the job he has got on his hands. 
 

Think it is clear this isn’t a smooth operation at present. Understandable with major changes at all levels of the club. It is actually a bit embarrassing the club has gotten into this situation. 

Probably showing my bias, but….I read it as the previous CEO was too involved in true football stuff, Richard won’t be, he’ll know where the lines start and end.

  • Like 6
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, JoeAman08 said:

I thought the Gould reaction was interesting. Think he was asked about relationship between them two and he gave a weird laugh. Couldn’t tell if it meant they weren’t seeing eye to eye or if he felt some sympathy for him and the job he has got on his hands. 

I thought it was along the lines of he was being asked about his relationship with a guy whose only just come into work in the last few days, was the 10th wasn't it? City's article says he arrives mid June.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, JoeAman08 said:

Not the entire interview but yes he did seem annoyed for what was supposed to be a casual update. 
 

I thought the Gould reaction was interesting. Think he was asked about relationship between them two and he gave a weird laugh. Couldn’t tell if it meant they weren’t seeing eye to eye or if he felt some sympathy for him and the job he has got on his hands. 
 

Think it is clear this isn’t a smooth operation at present. Understandable with major changes at all levels of the club. It is actually a bit embarrassing the club has gotten into this situation. 

Yep. The reaction to Gould, I thought was a mix of “thank Christ someone is now in place” with a hint of “what a shitshow he’s inheriting”. 
It was a very telling little laugh. 

  • Like 6
  • Haha 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Harry said:

Yep. The reaction to Gould, I thought was a mix of “thank Christ someone is now in place” with a hint of “what a shitshow he’s inheriting”. 
It was a very telling little laugh. 

….and why “Mark has been brilliant since the day I arrived” should’ve been treated with a huge pinch of salt.  He wasn’t gonna say anything different was he?  Some people take things so literally.

  • Like 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'm glad he gets that "we" are impatient . 
The whole thing with wages/contracts being up in the air must lead to things taking longer. Teams won't want to pay over the odds, players won't want to jump on the first offer , just in case. If you bid for a player, the parent club will want to wait to make sure of the best deal, even then the player will want to realise the Most from a new contract.  I can see this being a slow window over all, and difficult for us.

I think Person doing bits like this will ease the impatience slightly, but we will all feel better with a signing. Even if it's "only" Weimann.

Edited by 1960maaan
  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, JoeAman08 said:

Sounded like to me Weimann and Simpson have a deadline of this week to sign the deals they have been offered. Fair enough if so as they have probably had a month to see if there is legitimate interest elsewhere. 
 

I can agree about the spine. Not sure we need two CMs though. 2 cbs, 1 cm, 1 striker and 1 winger sounds right to me. 
 

Really threw the last lead medical guy under the bus. Which is deserved! He softened it up a bit as he went on but clearly saw some big problems in his short time here so far. 
 

Glad to hear him talk about the wage bill. Think we were around 17-18m in our first couple of seasons in the championship. Think that went up to the 25m range in recent years. That is ridiculous imo. We need to be operating in the 20m range. That is still plenty to build a championship side capable of pushing the top 6. 
 

Quite happy with the update. I am still a bit worried about the 5 coming in. We do still have a lot of youth here and need more experience around the place. That said if it is 5 28-32 year olds, I’d be quite disappointed. We still need to look out for some 23-25 year olds ready to contribute. That is something we will have to see develop though. 

Think with current contracts expiring on June 30th there is probably some agreement with both parties that we need a definitive “yes or no” from them by the end of next week.

Think this then also feeds into the comment about bringing in 5 players because clearly if Weimann goes (I just can’t see it with Simpson) that could alter his thinking.

Agree about the last point, if we do bring in 2 centre halves then one would need to be experienced, but with Kalas already on the payroll the other could be a younger player.

Likewise in midfield, up front we already have 2 very experienced options so again, a younger player would be good.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Another good and welcome interview if somewhat unexpected to what we have been used to at this point of the close season.

A few digs about the fitness of players, both previous staff and players too, I like that as he's spot on. Thats why he has got Dave Rennie in..

I don't see him as being exasperated about bringing new signings in or recruitment but frustrated as we are as the market is slow but waiting for the right signings.

Interesting that he wants 2 CB, 2 CM and a striker as one of his famous five to bring in. A signal to those already here and also a signal to agents for players in other positions we may be looking at to lower your expectations as we don't need to buy and other areas are more important if you want to join?

 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, 1960maaan said:

I'm glad he gets that "we" are impatient . 
The whole thing with wages/contracts being up in the air must lead to things taking longer. Teams won't want to pay over the odds, players won't want to jump on the first offer , just in case. If you bid for a player, the parent club will want to wait to make sure of the best deal, even then the player will want to realise the Most from a new contract.  I can see this being a slow window over all, and difficult for us.

I think Person doing bits like this will ease the impatience slightly, but we will all feel better with a signing. Even if it's "only" Weimann.

Eldest son has just made a good point on reflection.

Do we think he possibly missed out on a signing, due to the delays with RG starting; and the fact he doesn't deal with agents?

It's an interesting point, and possibly highlights the element of frustration that @Harry was speaking about.

Of course knowing NP now, he would never admit to the above point.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, NcnsBcfc said:

Eldest son has just made a good point on reflection.

Do we think he possibly missed out on a signing, due to the delays with RG starting; and the fact he doesn't deal with agents?

It's an interesting point, and possibly highlights the element of frustration that @Harry was speaking about.

Of course knowing NP now, he would never admit to the above point.

All speculation ATM. So many things can go wrong in a deal during the best of times, in the current climate no one knows where they stand. Very difficult times, even if we didn't need to sign half a team. 

IMO, if it came down to meeting with an agent or losing a player he really wanted, I think he'd step up. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Probably showing my bias, but….I read it as the previous CEO was too involved in true football stuff, Richard won’t be, he’ll know where the lines start and end.

Agreed Dave - I think it is utterly crystal clear who runs the football side of the operation.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, firstdivision said:

Well, NP actually says he wants five new players. 
Some of the kids are promising but if we only brought in two new players, I’m fairly certain we’d be relegated. My evidence for that is last season’s collapse when a lot of the kids were playing. The Championship is ruthless. It’s not a league for wishful thinking.

Depends. A full pre-season and a couple experienced heads in and around the squad that are outright professionals with a bit of experience could help a huge amount.

I.e. (hypothetical) - Bentley, Vyner, Lees, Kalas, Barry Douglas, Matty James *Rumoured*, Massengo, Williams, Semenyo, O'Dowda, Dion Charles (for the sake of it), get fitness levels up with backups for each position, i.e. O'Leary, Towler (Another CB Likely), Simpson, DaSilva, Bakinson, Nagy, Scott, Pearson, Edwards, Wells, Martin. 

Its not too shabby in theory; as we know from the season before last and this season that Bentley, Kalas, Massengo, Nagy can be solid - and there who I'd build around for next season, granted the latter - if Empoli links are true - looks likely to leave to help cut wages.

I wouldn't be too surprised to see Nakhi get moved on (with a significant loss) just to trim the wage budget, loaning in a more mobile out and out striker in replacement on lower wages short term.

Barnsley are our case study in how quickly things can turn around at this level with the right backroom changes, and tweaks to training and tactical setups.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Clearly NP's first moves were to:

1) Ensure both SL and JL were aware of how bad the culture actually was.

2) Remove bad apples

3) Improve the ancillary roles - medical, conditioning, diets (they are athletes now - or they are supposed to be.....quote from NP)

4) Improve fitness drastically

5) See what he has that pleases him

6) Recruit accordingly

 

This season will be a struggle as the last of the wrong 'uns still need to be shifted, both playing and non-playing, and fitness levels need to be raised. This won't happen until  season 2022 in all honestly - so I'm sure the remit is to stay up as soon as possible, and prepare for 2022 in a much,much better position that we are for the 2021 season.

Interesting season ahead.

 

 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Really hope Weimann Will play for us. A midfield with Bakinson and COD as starting players make me mot hopeful. Use to be optimistic but at the moment Can not be that. Dasilva as lb and no rb at the moment. Think Hunt is better then the guy NP knows. Really hope we can avoid relegation.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 minutes ago, Red Exile said:

A serious man who knows what he's doing and what he wants. Not glossing over the challenges.

What a refreshing change from the rookie chancers we've recently been saddled with.

 

Those rookies might well have felt the same. There were signings LJ evidently didn't want and did DH really want to replace Korey with Brunt - given that Ashton claimed releasing Korey was Dean's decision even though it happened before he was appointed?

Did Dean want Lansbury when the priority was a left back?

Part of the problem was, being rookies, they were beholden to Ashton. They knew they, rather than someone like NP, were in the job because he wanted somebody he could control. Hence the apparent requirement to big up Ashton at every opportunity.

Thankfully SL finally saw the light and appointed an experienced man who was never going defer to a charlatan.

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, chinapig said:

Those rookies might well have felt the same. There were signings LJ evidently didn't want and did DH really want to replace Korey with Brunt - given that Ashton claimed releasing Korey was Dean's decision even though it happened before he was appointed?

Did Dean want Lansbury when the priority was a left back?

Part of the problem was, being rookies, they were beholden to Ashton. They knew they, rather than someone like NP, were in the job because he wanted somebody he could control. Hence the apparent requirement to big up Ashton at every opportunity.

Thankfully SL finally saw the light and appointed an experienced man who was never going defer to a charlatan.

LJ, Holden, Ashton, Jon Lansdown...all men with a limited track record trying to make a name for themselves. They appeared, to me at least, out of their depth.

The club has been crying out for proven leadership. We now have it. Might not work out but it won't be for lack of experience.

  • Like 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, The Constant Rabbit said:

Clearly NP's first moves were to:

1) Ensure both SL and JL were aware of how bad the culture actually was.

2) Remove bad apples

3) Improve the ancillary roles - medical, conditioning, diets (they are athletes now - or they are supposed to be.....quote from NP)

4) Improve fitness drastically

5) See what he has that pleases him

6) Recruit accordingly

 

This season will be a struggle as the last of the wrong 'uns still need to be shifted, both playing and non-playing, and fitness levels need to be raised. This won't happen until  season 2022 in all honestly - so I'm sure the remit is to stay up as soon as possible, and prepare for 2022 in a much,much better position that we are for the 2021 season.

Interesting season ahead.

 

 

Very fair assessment.

Another season of struggle I believe.  It's a total mess there; Ashton didn't leave because another opportunity presented itself, he left because the spotlight was going to end up being on him and he'd have nowhere to hide.

Edited by cityloyal473
  • Like 2
  • Flames 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, cityloyal473 said:

Very fair assessment.

Another season of struggle I believe.  It's a total mess there; Ashton didn't leave because another opportunity presented itself, he left because the spotlight was going to end up being on him and he'd have nowhere to hide.

So, so true.

I said last summer that Holden’s appointment was a big risk for Ashton.  I wasn’t against it myself, but many of us had views as to why the others interviewed didn’t rank as high as in-house Dean!  Especially when 6 months later they then with someone like Hughton (I.e. Pearson).  Whoever made the decision, JL, SL or MA, or all 3, only one person would be in the firing line if it went wrong.

Ashton wasn’t worried, because he had his escape route planned.  He has neglected his duties over 6-9 months.  SL and JL allowed this to happen.

It is gonna be tough, but I’m hopeful Pearson will bring that stability next season.  I don’t think we need that much to be competitive, but that will rely on the squad being “fit and robust” (NP will expect Rennie to deliver).

We will need 4/5 CBs.  Very few teams will get through expecting their CBs to pair-up every game.  Even if it’s half-a-dozen from the 3rd / 4th choices.

Heres a list of games played by Champ CBs.

60D68043-1F75-4A55-83B8-ACBBC745B5AF.thumb.jpeg.81668eed02145969fc268a49f92aa43e.jpeg

Barnsley CBs are high up, but they play a 3, so have rotated the 3rd.

QPR and Coventry (who also play a 3).

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...