IGNORED

joe Morrell

Hampshire reds

2 hours ago, sh1t_ref_again said:

Perhaps the reason he has not succeeded at either club is more about attitude and character than ability

Perhaps, though I very much doubt it.   I’m friends with people who have known Joe since he was a child, and they’ve always said that he is a very driven and very responsible person.  Not a bad word to say about him.

I think a lot of his difficulties establishing himself may be due to his rather diminutive stature…

3 hours ago, sh1t_ref_again said:

Perhaps the reason he has not succeeded at either club is more about attitude and character than ability

And that's just about the most misguided comment posted anywhere on the internet today.

Attitude and character are precisely why this young man is playing international football, never mind his undoubted ability. The Welsh manager confirmed he picked his first choice XI today, Morrell included on merit and keeping players from Premier League teams on the bench.  

He didn't played much for Luton last season because they discovered the midfield that got them promoted was more than good enough for the Championship.

And he didn't play much here because no-one had the bollocks to give him a proper run in the side.

He should still be here, playing a part in what we're trying to build, but we're much too incompetent for that.

The fact we could have picked up Keiffer Moore at any point on the last 10 years for a pittance makes watching games like today's intensely frustrating.      

1 hour ago, The Dolman Pragmatist said:

Perhaps, though I very much doubt it.   I’m friends with people who have known Joe since he was a child, and they’ve always said that he is a very driven and very responsible person.  Not a bad word to say about him.

I think a lot of his difficulties establishing himself may be due to his rather diminutive stature

He should of had his foot in the door with LJ then ?

1 hour ago, The Dolman Pragmatist said:

I think a lot of his difficulties establishing himself may be due to his rather diminutive stature…

that bloke from Naples is tiny, or the rest of the Azure are giants… 

My take on Morrell is that he was seen by a certain ex employee as the most desirable saleable asset to generate a bit of cash when we had an abundance of midfielders (that weren't injured)

This is despite the fact we invested a lot of time and resource into developing him. He should've been Brownhill's replacement.

Should we have sold him, no.

13 hours ago, The Dolman Pragmatist said:

You are probable correct, it seems strange that a player who had played so well for Wales, we were all looking forward to seeing in a city shirt, get shipped out to Luton for next to nothing then only get a few games before being dropped and not re-appearing, suggested to me a bit more about the player or off field, but perhaps just unlucky

13 hours ago, Merrick's Marvels said:

And that's just about the most misguided comment posted anywhere on the internet today.

Attitude and character are precisely why this young man is playing international football, never mind his undoubted ability. The Welsh manager confirmed he picked his first choice XI today, Morrell included on merit and keeping players from Premier League teams on the bench.  

He didn't played much for Luton last season because they discovered the midfield that got them promoted was more than good enough for the Championship.

And he didn't play much here because no-one had the bollocks to give him a proper run in the side.

He should still be here, playing a part in what we're trying to build, but we're much too incompetent for that.

The fact we could have picked up Keiffer Moore at any point on the last 10 years for a pittance makes watching games like today's intensely frustrating.      

Good post, Mr. H.

The sliding doors moment for me was when he was doing well at Lincoln & yet we decided to bring in Marcus Henriksen instead rather than to recall him.

It was also at a time we were struggling big time to find a home grown player to include in our first team squad to the extent that Wollacott was included, really on the basis of the almost certain probability he wouldn’t be required.

This was short term thinking of the highest order, Morrell could have played a dozen times that season & we could have made a considered judgment on him then.

1 hour ago, JonDolman said:

I have always thought it was the right decision to sell him. He seemed to be pretty far away from our full strength first 11.

LJ didn't fancy him and nor did Holden.

The game time he's had at Luton suggests their manager has Morrell bottom of their list of midfielders and they had plenty of them last season.

From what I've seen he is a very different player to Brownhill. Brownhill far more mobile and stronger and just very different imo.

Wrong

14 hours ago, The Dolman Pragmatist said:

Didn't do Xavi, Iniesta, Messi or Maradona any harm :laugh:

1 hour ago, JonDolman said:

I have always thought it was the right decision to sell him. He seemed to be pretty far away from our full strength first 11.

LJ didn't fancy him and nor did Holden.

The game time he's had at Luton suggests their manager has Morrell bottom of their list of midfielders and they had plenty of them last season.

From what I've seen he is a very different player to Brownhill. Brownhill far more mobile and stronger and just very different imo.

TBF to LJ, if it wasn't for him, Morrell would probably be playing non-league by now.

LJ stuck by him, extending his contracts when others probably wouldn't.

38 minutes ago, BigTone said:

Why so often ? He had one this time last year.

Are you sure you are allowed to ask a question yet Tone?*

I do hope you haven't jumped the queue.

*I checked and I was allowed to ask you, though that's my quota for this year.

4 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

He didn't play him except one league sub appearance and 3 cup starts. He loaned him out. He preferred others who he kept here. 

Yeah he made Gary Johnson have him on loan and his contract was extended as he was improving from Margate to Cheltenham to Lincoln.

Lee was trying to make us a top 6 Championship side and I doubt very much he would have seen Morrell at that level.

Wollacott's contract kept getting extended and loaned out like Morrell, but it doesn't mean he was ever going to be our number 1

We'll have to agree to disagree on that one.

3 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

He didn't play him except one league sub appearance and 3 cup starts. He loaned him out. He preferred others who he kept here

And wanted him back January 2020, was 'convinced' otherwise to leave him at Lincoln and was sacked before he could get Joe back at the club.

11 minutes ago, chinapig said:

Are you sure you are allowed to ask a question yet Tone?*

I do hope you haven't jumped the queue.

*I checked and I was allowed to ask you, though that's my quota for this year.

I have special dispensation on account of my age and senility.

2 hours ago, sh1t_ref_again said:

You are probable correct, it seems strange that a player who had played so well for Wales, we were all looking forward to seeing in a city shirt, get shipped out to Luton for next to nothing then only get a few games before being dropped and not re-appearing, suggested to me a bit more about the player or off field, but perhaps just unlucky

I know I’m friendly with his dad, but you will struggle to find anyone out there who would question Joe’s professionalism.  He’s overcome several challenges, a lot born out of size, to get where he is.  I feel that in some respects his game is more suited to Wales internationally, than Championship club level…in some ways not unlike Nagy.

However Joe does have more to his game, we saw that in flashes v Huddersfield and Bolton, but if you play him as a DM screen, that is the job he will do.  Whether that is enough to play more advanced roles in the Championship, even I can’t say…because we haven’t seen him do that / be given the opportunity to do that bar those couple of FA Cup games.

If he ends up in Lg1 and is a top end Lg1 player (which he proved at Lincoln), that’s still a fantastic achievement.  To be seen as a key starter by Giggs and Page when there are others of more stature, e.g. Ampadu, tells us a lot too.

Not everyone makes in at their home club.

56 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Good post, Mr. H.

The sliding doors moment for me was when he was doing well at Lincoln & yet we decided to bring in Marcus Henriksen instead rather than to recall him.

It was also at a time we were struggling big time to find a home grown player to include in our first team squad to the extent that Wollacott was included, really on the basis of the almost certain probability he wouldn’t be required.

This was short term thinking of the highest order, Morrell could have played a dozen times that season & we could have made a considered judgment on him then.

Yes, same the previous season, when we attempted to sign Hourihane.

Akthough LJ liked / rated him (‘it’s a fact)….he wasn’t prepared to give him his head….and Joe isn’t the first player that LJ paid lip service to re “pathway”.  In some respects I don’t have a prob with LJ not playing the youngsters if he doesn’t think they’re good enough.  But if that is true, don’t “blow Smoke up their arse” either.  Gives false hope.

Would not surprise me at all if LJ tries to sign him for Sunderland this window.  Think the Cowley’s at Pompey would be interested too.  They loved him at Lincoln and wanted him at Huddersfield until they left.

20 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

If LJ really wanted Morrell back in January to be in our side then I'm sure he would have got him rather than the club having to pay for Henriksen.

I wouldn't be surprised if he wanted him back as emergency back up like he had been the season before. And maybe LJ had been convinced to keep him where he will get game time.

Would make no sense keeping a player in a lower league if LJ wanted him to play in the first team. Not any sense for City or Morrell himself.

He didn't start him in the league even after decent Huddersfield and Bolton cup performances. LJ brought him off at half time in the Wolves cup game and we never saw him again.

You’re applying logic….versus the scattergun, love the thrill of a signing, ego boost recruitment pairing of LJ and MA. ???

Why use someone we already own when we can bring in a higher profile shiny object.  LJ has never had to work with what he’s got at City.  Git everything he wanted.

21 hours ago, sh1t_ref_again said:

Nah he's a top lad, he didn't play here because we had better midfielders at the time arguably so left for Luton who have better midfielders,

Funny thing is, had he stayed he'd of played 30 odd games this season, or had a hamstring injury 

14 hours ago, Swede said:

My take on Morrell is that he was seen by a certain ex employee as the most desirable saleable asset to generate a bit of cash when we had an abundance of midfielders (that weren't injured)

This is despite the fact we invested a lot of time and resource into developing him. He should've been Brownhill's replacement.

Should we have sold him, no.

Totally different player to Brownhill…

another non storey about an (almost) non-player of ours. Think he played once, i know he didnt score and we have / have had recently an awful lot of better, proven players in the Championhsip who wont be making the cut for NP's new City. It has nothing to do with him being Welsh but i just cant understand any sentimnet for a bloke that took plenty of good wage from us in 7-8 years and gave us nothing on the pitch.

13 hours ago, Davefevs said:

He had to believe in himself where few others would. Former Bristol City manager Lee Johnson told Morrell football was a pipe dream as City looked to release him. ??

Surprised not mentioned before but the Wales v Turkey game was a good watch, some good football for a 'neutral' with the added bonus of seeing a City Ex.in Joe M.

He was solid and did not look out of place.  Playing with the likes of super star Gareth Bale.  (what a miss from the spot mind... ). Even  Ashley Williams was quite good a s a pundit...

Still really strange that he  did not ever  really feature for us and now a  similar story  at Luton. Yet pretty much nailed on completing with Europes best for Wales.  Good luck to him.

On 14/06/2021 at 08:18, exAtyeoMax said:

He had to believe in himself where few others would. Former Bristol City manager Lee Johnson told Morrell football was a pipe dream as City looked to release him. ??

Find it unbelievable that LJ would say that and frankly, I don't believe it. 

Archived