IGNORED

great managers,

City oz

Alan Dicks one of my heroes when I started attending Ashton Gate when I was a young lad and most of the years in those days still bring back great memories of watching City from the East End or the Enclosure in front of the Grand Stand. Alan managed for 13 or so years and was the manager that bought 1st Division to our great club. 

Will we in 12 or so years time look at NP in doing the same and will NP be remembered  as one of the managers that bought high flight football back to Ashton Gate.

I hope so.

Image result for alan dicks bristol city trophy awards

City's greatest manager has to be Harry Thickett , England international came to City bought back the star of the time Billy Wedlock. then took them to be Division 2 champions with an unbeaten 14 game run. Then topped that with finishing as runners up in Division 1 and reaching an FA cup final. 

Remember my grandad once saying they called him the Whiskey manager  ,, never told more than that. 

13 hours ago, City oz said:

Alan Dicks one of my heroes when I started attending Ashton Gate when I was a young lad and most of the years in those days still bring back great memories of watching City from the East End or the Enclosure in front of the Grand Stand. Alan managed for 13 or so years and was the manager that bought 1st Division to our great club. 

Will we in 12 or so years time look at NP in doing the same and will NP be remembered  as one of the managers that bought high flight football back to Ashton Gate.

I hope so.

Hope so too. One thing for sure, he won’t get given as long as AD was. 

Like you, AD was City manager and a hero when I was a young lad. I can just remember Fred Ford. But AD definitely seemed like a fixture, 13 years is a long time when you’re in your teens and early 20s.

8 hours ago, gavlin said:

City's greatest manager has to be Harry Thickett , England international came to City bought back the star of the time Billy Wedlock. then took them to be Division 2 champions with an unbeaten 14 game run. Then topped that with finishing as runners up in Division 1 and reaching an FA cup final. 

Remember my grandad once saying they called him the Whiskey manager  ,, never told more than that. 

Not just 14 unbeaten...14 straight wins!

10 hours ago, italian dave said:

Hope so too. One thing for sure, he won’t get given as long as AD was. 

Like you, AD was City manager and a hero when I was a young lad. I can just remember Fred Ford. But AD definitely seemed like a fixture, 13 years is a long time when you’re in your teens and early 20s.

Amazing how time lets us remember good times and forget bad. I remember a big group outside of the players entrance shouting Dicks out on more than one ocassion

2 hours ago, Clutton Caveman said:

Amazing how time lets us remember good times and forget bad. I remember a big group outside of the players entrance shouting Dicks out on more than one ocassion

Yes, but that had nothing to do with the manager in charge at the time.

5 hours ago, Clutton Caveman said:

Dicks was saved from the sack by two league cup runs when City were beaten by Spurs and Notts Forest in the semi finals.
Especially the League cup run when City lost to Spurs . 

Bishop Sutton, Keynsham Town, Mangotsfield manager, Graham Budgie Bird.. Don't give me bollocks like 'Play it down the Channel,' that's what boats sail on! 'What do you mean, Play it in the ####ing hole, you dig a ####ing hole with a spade!' and the classic playing away to Bideford, keep moving and on your toes or you'll end up with Seagull shit on your head. Good ol days!

The only manager that took us to the top division was AD - therefore imo he has been the the best City manager of them all.

However, I’m not sure how long that will last now that Nige is in charge. I really have a positive vibe about him. Hopefully he’ll take the ‘greatest manager’ award within the next three seasons.

1 hour ago, Robbored said:

The only manager that took us to the top division was AD - therefore imo he has been thePaul the best City manager of them all.

However, I’m not sure how long that will last now that Nige is in charge. I really have a positive vibe about him. Hopefully he’ll take the ‘greatest manager’ award within the next three seasons.

As mentioned previously so did HT.

6 hours ago, gavlin said:

Dicks was saved from the sack by two league cup runs when City were beaten by Spurs and Notts Forest in the semi finals.
Especially the League cup run when City lost to Spurs . 

Bit like Sir Alex at Man Utd. Won the FA cup saved his job and went on to become the best manager in English history.

Whilst Alan Dicks will forever hold that place of honour as being the first City manager of which I knew and taking us into the top league I think he was very fortunate with having that core team of players who were responsible and hard working; it was like having half a dozen player managers on the pitch.

Modern players generally seem to lack that maturity; though Shaun Taylor and Rob Newman for two would have graced Dicks' promotion side.

14 hours ago, Clutton Caveman said:

Dick's out Dick's out and put them back away again 

I do seem to remember bring chanted from the  Dolman in my early days of Attending Bristol City games 

On 13/06/2021 at 08:54, City oz said:

I hope so.

Although he had some poor "runs of games" AD gave me and many others, unforgettable memories, not least promotion to the top league and the witnessed celebrations from Ashton Gate pitch.

He assembled a great but small squad of players, Galley, Garland, Gow, Gibson, Merrick,Skirton, Fear, Ritchie, Cashley etc, etc great days proper football and proper days at the match, when I hardly missed a game home or away.

The throbbing Ashton Gate, The East-End, Enclosure, Open/Park end and Dolman, as it rose from the ashes all contributed to that magical moment in time.

Thanks for the memories Alan, I do hope our latest manager can give those who missed out on those days, a repeat performance, he has a long road ahead to do so.

2 hours ago, RalphMilnesLeftFoot said:

Sliding Doors Moment. 

What if Joe Jordan hadn't left for Hearts?

I was gutted when JJ left. He’d built a really good team full of flair and it felt like we were on the up. 

From what I recall, the rumours at the time were that he had his eyes on the Scotland job and saw Hearts as a stepping stone to that. It seems inconceivable now that an up and coming manager, like Joe was at the time, would see a job in Scottish league (other than Celtic or Rangers) as being a step up from the second tier English league. 

Archived