IGNORED

Weimann signs three year deal

westonred

Delighted with this. 

An 'engine' that was sorely missed last season.

It's easy to forget just how important Weimann's runs can be. He has the ability to drag defenders with him, which then frees up space for the likes of Wells. 

His versatility is a key attribute. Knowing he will always put in a minimum 7/10 performance wherever he plays. 

One of the most pleasing aspects about Weimann, is that he communicated well and is willing to be vocal to officials.

Much needed experience for next season. 

Have to say you only realise how good someone is when they aren’t there. Prior to last season, was never one of his biggest fans but we certainly missed his energy and he has yet again proved that I know very little about football.

Great news 

I know footballers need to understand the financial impact of the pandemic but it reflects well on him that he has been prepared to accept what I believe was significantly reduced terms (that I’m sure Stoke bettered) to sign this deal.

With Simpson signing too, that further explains Pearson’s comment about needing 5 players.

2 minutes ago, Shuffle said:

Have to say you only realise how good someone is when they aren’t there. Prior to last season, was never one of his biggest fans but we certainly missed his energy and he has yet again proved that I know very little about football.

Great news 

Always about opinions but what is never in doubt is he is a great pro.

When he got injured Tinnion said that he hadn’t missed a single training session since joining us & whatever anyone thinks about his ability, his work rate, willingness to play for the team & professionalism are not in doubt.

Didnt realise hes only 29!!!

Lots on social media saying hes choosen City because they are going to offer him a three year deal.

Hes well settled in the City and i personally think this is the right move.

Weimann, Wells, Martin, senior strikers with Semenyo, Conway, Britton, Bell as back up.

Just need to sign a strong target man.

56 minutes ago, Shuffle said:

Great news 

I admit to similar thoughts about him at times. We really missed him!

11 minutes ago, Dolman Block B said:

Didnt realise hes only 29!!!

Lots on social media saying hes choosen City because they are going to offer him a three year deal.

Hes well settled in the City and i personally think this is the right move.

Weimann, Wells, Martin, senior strikers with Semenyo, Conway, Britton, Bell as back up.

Just need to sign a strong target man.

Maybe not? A strong midfield creating chances and we may see a totally different Bristol City.

Last year we had no protection for the back line and zero creation going forward.

What do I know anyway!

Would be as good as a new signing IMO.

Sorely missed last year, and although I've always rated him anyway, I think it's opened a lot of people's eyes as to what he can bring into the team.

Let's not forget that he's also not one to miss a game because of a "niggle" unlike some who have now left us.

Just now, Taz said:

Would be as good as a new signing IMO.

Sorely missed last year, and although I've always rated him anyway, I think it's opened a lot of people's eyes as to what he can bring into the team.

Let's not forget that he's also not one to miss a game because of a "niggle" unlike some who have now left us.

Agree with all of that.

Nore importantly as well, it'll be one less player we have to replace.

NP alluded to the  huge amount of work to be done in this off season. If we can agree a deal with a seasoned Championship player, already at the club; who also ticks a number of his boxes in regard to ethos, and workrate. Then that surely must be a good thing for everyone concerned.

Fingers crossed on this one.?

1 minute ago, JonDolman said:

Good news. Good team player and pretty versatile. Now it's down to Nige to get the best out of his attributes. Something I feel LJ did not achieve most of the time.

Well said JD.

Also feels like a show of belief in Nige and the ‘project’. I know there will be some bumps, but it does feel like we are finally moving in the right direction.

Have to admit have not been totally convinced by the new manager up to this point but it looks like he has made a decent effort to keep hold of Weimann and although he is only one player in what is a far bigger picture it has reassured me that NP knows what he is doing.

1 hour ago, Shuffle said:

Great news 

Me too FWIW Shuffle. I always thought he was all energy and no end result until I went to Bramall lane. We have really missed him TBH. 

11 minutes ago, Major Isewater said:

Going a little off topic but who did LJ get the best out of ? 

Being fair, I think he developed Brownhill and Reid really well. And there were runs of games - such as our long winning run at the beginning of 2019 - where our defence was an exceptional unit. Frustrating that we could not sustain it and far too many players failed to reach their potential under him but there were a few he worked well with. 

1 minute ago, LondonBristolian said:

Being fair, I think he developed Brownhill and Reid really well. And there were runs of games - such as our long winning run at the beginning of 2019 - where our defence was an exceptional unit. Frustrating that we could not sustain it and far too many players failed to reach their potential under him but there were a few he worked well with. 

Yeah really good points. We can't really take Webster away from him either, was phenomenal for us under LJ in 2018-2019.

3 hours ago, Shuffle said:

Great news 

You're certainly not alone in that on here

Weimar’s energy and movement ( not “he runs around a lot” as some sarcastically have suggested) were exactly what we lacked through most of last season.

He has suffered through a lot of his time here in that we’ve not really had players on his wavelength - able to see/anticipate the runs he makes and play the ball early when he is moving into space. All to often, our pedestrian style of play means that by the time someone deceased to make the pass AW has been closed down and the chance has gone.

When partnered with Afobe and with Palmer in behind ( along with HNM) was when we saw what Weimann’s  movement off the ball  can bring to the team ( and Palmer for that matter!)

Archived