IGNORED

Weimann signs three year deal

westonred

1 minute ago, Dan Robin said:

Really pleased with this. One of the players we missed the most last season: I hope he's recovering well and that he'll be involved in training soon.

I think he was already in full training with the rest of the first team squad at the back end of the season. 

As I said on another thread yesterday it’s good to see such a positive response to a very good player. Some even admitting that they never quite understood his importance to our team. 

Three years was/is important to both club and player and gives us a starting point for next season and after. 

I expect more news surrounding Weimann in the coming weeks. 

7 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

He's a good player to have imo. But in terms of ability we have better players. Great attitude though

Couldn't agree more Jon.

His energy levels and hassling of the opposition are unquestionably but the technical side of his game needs improving.

If Nige and his team can do this then we have a quality player on our hands.

1 hour ago, NcnsBcfc said:

Great news, I'm sure that extra year was a big game changer. It does feel like a new signing, rather than a contract renewal.

There's probably not many clubs giving out 3 year contracts, particularly to a 29 year old, coming off a bad injury.

It shows how much we wanted to keep him. Onwards and upwards onto the next signing now.

Yes, allegedly we offered him 2 years at half the money (say £10k p.w.).  If that’s 3 years at £10k p.w. that gives him nice security going forward.  

1 hour ago, bris red said:

Great news. Like a new signing.

It is in effect isn’t it.  You know I bleat on about finances, amortisation etc….well I’m going to again! ?

This becomes a “wages only” cost going forward as his amortised value is now zero in the books.

5 minutes ago, Top Robin said:

Couldn't agree more Jon.

His energy levels and hassling of the opposition are unquestionably but the technical side of his game needs improving.

If Nige and his team can do this then we have a quality player on our hands.

Technical is not all about with the ball, can be without too, although we would both probably call it movement or tactical intelligence or something like that.

He can rush a pass, but he’s a driver on the ball, commits players, drags opponents out of position with and without the ball.  He is a player to watch when the other team have the ball.  The number of pockets of space he picks up is very clever.

Agree with Spudski that RW is not best use of his skills, but right-sided forward, or a narrow right midfielder is a position he would suit nicely….that is if you don’t play him up top or as the secondary striker.  Weimann behind Wells or Martin looks a good option too.

Delighted he’s signed.

Hopefully thats unblocked the recruitment constipation!!!

3 minutes ago, Roger Red Hat said:

In what respect?

Well for start his shooting from more than 18 yards out is woeful, nearly always leans back and skies it over the bar, add to that when asked to play wide he keeps drifting inside giving no cover to his full-back. Other than that pretty good but not the the star that lots are making him out to be. Hopefully he has had to take a severe pay-cut from his rumoured £20k pw to get that 3 year deal.

4 minutes ago, old_eastender said:

Well for start his shooting from more than 18 yards out is woeful, nearly always leans back and skies it over the bar, add to that when asked to play wide he keeps drifting inside giving no cover to his full-back. Other than that pretty good but not the the star that lots are making him out to be. Hopefully he has had to take a severe pay-cut from his rumoured £20k pw to get that 3 year deal.

How do we know he hasn't been instructed to drift inside when playing out wide ?

12 minutes ago, old_eastender said:

Tbf a lot of that could also be said about someone like Raheem Sterling but he does alright for himself.....

Of course not directly comparing the too but just a general observation watching the England game the other night thinking how poor Sterling's mid to long range shooting technique seems to be for such an elite player

Great news, we really missed him last season. Say what you like about his skill, finishing or whatever Andi always gives 100% and never hides unlike some we`ve had recently.

Haven`t he and his partner just had a new baby too? The security of three years will certainly help with that I imagine and must have influenced his decision I should think.

6 hours ago, Shuffle said:

Have to say you only realise how good someone is when they aren’t there. Prior to last season, was never one of his biggest fans but we certainly missed his energy and he has yet again proved that I know very little about football.

Great news 

You and me both! I feel 100% the same way about. We missed him loads, I will not moan again!

Great news, as he is a great example to others. Maybe not the super goal scorer, but attitude is right where the club need. A proper professional and the type Nige wants. We really missed his energy and commitment. I think we all want to see , as a minimum, application and professionalism. We have been a joy ride for too many, AW is not like that. 

9 minutes ago, Northern Red said:

Are there really still people who think that "all he does is run around a lot"?

You'd think the last season without him would have showed how we're a poorer side without him there, but evidently not.

If you look at his goals over the years, he's definitely a midfielder( like Paterson to a lesser degree) that makes runs ahead of the front line; and that type of movement is hugely what we were missing from the squad last year.

Our movement was generally slow, static; and failed to stretch defences. Hence why our shots per game, chances per game stats were so appalling.

He's not the messiah, far from it. But as a decent squad player for next season, he will certainly give NP a type of player that he didn't have in his first 3 months here.

I'm sure that when NP looked at the stats for players when appraising the first team squad when he got here, he would have seen Weimann's standing out; and as such like AW has said "NP told me straight away that he wanted to work with me".

The 3 year contract is a sign of NP's belief in him as well. As opposed to not bothering to renegotiate with the other OOC to any great degree.

3 hours ago, JonDolman said:

He went into the new season with Bobby and Diedhiou up front, deciding against bringing in a new number 10 as he thought Bobby could do what he was looking for. Hardly luck!

I stand corrected then.  It was my understanding that his hand was forced rather than a conscious decision. 

Archived