IGNORED

Bristol City to get promoted or England win the Euros?

Sturny

A far better question than it seems at first.
For me, same as others, I've seen City in all 4 Divisions. Relegated to the 4th and Promoted from the 4th , win 3 Freight Rover Trophies (or whatever), seen City in Italy. Seen them almost go bust up to where we are now. I honestly don't know if I want to be in the Prem. A mate of mine is a Norwich fan, he didn't enjoy getting battered every week, add VAR and everything else? I would probably try and go every away game though.
I was too young to really enjoy the World Cup Win, so to Win the Euro's would be great.
We had a similar conversation on the way to the Man City 1st Leg. I chose to win the Cup over promotion then, I think I'd choose the Euros now.

12 minutes ago, BS2 Red said:

I guess the question could be tweaked to:

"Would you rather England win a major tournament or watch Bristol City spend one season in the Premier League, finishing on less points than Derby in 2008?"

;) 

I think that's a much easier question actually - whilst the novelty of being in the Prem would be fun for a couple of weeks, it wouldn't be enjoyable at all getting beaten every week. The novelty would soon fade. 

England all day long personally, for a number of reasons.

Firstly, I don't have any close friends who support City. My Dad does but prefers local football for reasons like many on here losing touch with the modern game so I tend to watch games alone. I love watching England because it's something I can do with all my mates and we can all support the same side and celebrate the wins. I can tell you where I was for far more England games than I can City.

Secondly, not just mates but imagine the party the whole country will have if we manage to win something. Especially after the last 18 months, there will be a few idiots but on the whole it will be fantastic for the Country to get behind something together.

Lastly, the Premier league isnt the be all and end all. I'd love it, I'd go to every game I possibly could, but I'd accept we're likely to take a thumping most weeks.

If the question was win these Euros, or City get promoted and establish themselves or have a season like Wolves did or Leeds this season then I may re-consider. Otherwise it's Country first most of the time for me.

Perhaps City getting to Europe (or better) or winning the FA Cup would be ahead of England winning a major tournament.

6 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

I think that's a much easier question actually - whilst the novelty of being in the Prem would be fun for a couple of weeks, it wouldn't be enjoyable at all getting beaten every week. The novelty would soon fade. 

It seems like most people are picking City so I made it into a horrible option. 

8 minutes ago, MarcusX said:

England all day long personally, for a number of reasons.

Firstly, I don't have any close friends who support City. My Dad does but prefers local football for reasons like many on here losing touch with the modern game so I tend to watch games alone. I love watching England because it's something I can do with all my mates and we can all support the same side and celebrate the wins. I can tell you where I was for far more England games than I can City.

Secondly, not just mates but imagine the party the whole country will have if we manage to win something. Especially after the last 18 months, there will be a few idiots but on the whole it will be fantastic for the Country to get behind something together.

Lastly, the Premier league isnt the be all and end all. I'd love it, I'd go to every game I possibly could, but I'd accept we're likely to take a thumping most weeks.

If the question was win these Euros, or City get promoted and establish themselves or have a season like Wolves did or Leeds this season then I may re-consider. Otherwise it's Country first most of the time for me.

Perhaps City getting to Europe (or better) or winning the FA Cup would be ahead of England winning a major tournament.

I agree with pretty much all of this.

City getting Promoted to spend a couple of seasons in the Top flight pales into insignificance that if England ever win a major tournament it would be a special occasion for the whole Nation and would be up there with one of the best days of many people's lives for a whole generation.

Just seeing Spain win Euro 2008 and what it meant to them to win a Tournament after so long is something this Country desperately needs.

And i'll take watching City in the Championship for years as we have no expectation, and it would still be amazing if we hit the big time, too.

39 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

I just spent £10 a week to watch us get beaten most weeks in the Championship, at least that'd be a bit different...

At the moment I’d go for England, as others have said the country could really do with a post Brexit/Covid boost.

At the moment it’s possible City could go up in the play offs but I think we’re a long way from competing strongly in the top flight, therefore it’s likely to be a miserable season of getting beat every week.

Those saying but it’s only the Euros, the last 4 World Cup winners were from Europe and I expect the next one at least will be, it’s a very difficult high thought of trophy to win

Bristol City. It would be incredible to see England win a major tournament in my lifetime but

a) Doing it during COVID would be a bit more muted and subdued.

b) I'm away working in Grimsby on the day of the final with a work colleague who is ambivalent about football so it's not going to be like watching with football-mad mates. 

I'm pretty ambivalent about the next world cup too so I think it's Euro 24 or World Cup 26 where I'd like England to really do something...

2 minutes ago, Fordy62 said:

Bizarrely I’ve never considered that any city fan would support anyone other than England. Strange that I haven’t. 

There’s a few Welsh on here isn’t there?  If not I’m sure there used to be. 

Archived