IGNORED

Cats coach number 1

Oh Louie louie

Anyone been on it?

I missed out by 6 seats, for a game at oxford about 97 in the ldv.

I understand, it takes guts to come forward.

I know a bloke, who lived off north street was on it for years.

Didnt miss a game in twenty years, he was 3 minutes late, they went without him.

Must be somebody on here been on it.

Duke of wellington quote.

I dont know what they did to the enemy, but these guys scare the hell out of me.

I haven't traveled by coach for a few years now but used to be a regular CATS user. While I mostly traveled on coach 2 (Jerry's coach) I went on coach 1 a few times. It's alright and if you like to have a coffee or a snack when you travel it was the place to be. Different from coach 2 but I always found it friendly. 

29 minutes ago, slartibartfast said:

Back in the Fourth Div, you didn't get a choice (talking night games), very odd mixture..........there was dear old Reg (RIP) and then there was Denver & his dad !!:shocking:

100%. Think he was called Ray?

I did the vast majority of away games that first season in Div 4 on it.

Always remember Halifax away on what I think was a Wednesday night, from memory we might have had Hartlepool away on the previous Saturday, too.

Wasn’t even 3/4s full, reckon there were barely 30 on it.

Hardcore.

6 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Always remember Halifax away on what I think was a Wednesday night, from memory we might have had Hartlepool away on the previous Saturday, too.

Hardcore.

Yes, and didn't we get bricked or at least "mud pied" in the coach after the game (2-2) ?

29 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Hardcore.

I did a few CATS trips in the early 80s, where a less-than-full coach made up almost the entire City following. There were a couple of Hanham lads always at the back of the coach, and for some reason I recall a lad from Claverham who was always on there. Can't remember any names (I was very young back then mind!) but occasionally you spot a familiar face in the concourse on matchdays.

My boy is a regular on Coach 1 and gets well looked after by the other passengers , a good bunch indeed. Many of the regular Coach 1’ers are able to rebook each match generally without problems  as Peter Carol know them well. However all about to change possibly as Peter Carol no longer contracted for next season so it’s a case of wait and see how it works now.

There was a diamond of a steward, called steve, on the coaches.

Always  used to wear rugby tops, think he was from long ashton.

Used to go up and down the coach chatting, which most didnt do.

He also lent me 50p, overstreched my limits on the fruit machines at the services on the way to brentford.

2 hours ago, RoystonFoote'snephew said:

I haven't traveled by coach for a few years now but used to be a regular CATS user. While I mostly traveled on coach 2 (Jerry's coach) I went on coach 1 a few times. It's alright and if you like to have a coffee or a snack when you travel it was the place to be. Different from coach 2 but I always found it friendly. 

Is it true,that the regulars on coach 1 have the same seat on the coach  every away game, if your sat in it , you're asked to move,any truth in this,

I got on through sheer (bad) luck in March 1988 when City were away at Fulham. 

Started out on Coach 3 which broke down half way down the M32.

All coaches had pulled in to help and there was one space on Coach 1. 

As I was travelling on my own I was marched down the hard shoulder and put onto coach 1 with military percussion.

I won't comment any further because as we know what happens on Coach 1 stays on coach 1.

Rarely use CATS but was on it for West Brom away a couple of seasons ago. Some regulars were spitting feathers that fans not as loyal as them had managed to get Fulham away tickets whilst they couldn’t. Thought best we didn’t mention we had Fulham tickets. Have followed City all over the country but obviously nowhere near as loyal as them.

You could get a tea or coffee for 50p which was a nice touch and they had cans of soft drinks in for the regulars

43 minutes ago, Redandproud said:

Is it true,that the regulars on coach 1 have the same seat on the coach  every away game, if your sat in it , you're asked to move,any truth in this,

I can't comment on that specifically but in the days that I traveled on CATS City usually took 3 coaches away from home on average. Both coach 1 and 2 had their regulars with spare spaces filled on each with the overspill on coach 3. As is usual for us Brits the regulars like to sit in their same seats, not just for football travel but also for coaching holidays, in pubs etc. 

In the few years after 82, and when options were limited, I did go on the CATS occasionally. I made it on to coach 1 for a Christmas or Boxing Day game, we even got a selection box ( not a euphemism ) . I have no noticeable long term effects.

giphy.gif

Been on it once about 17 years ago when i was about 12/13……never made the mistake to do it again after.

I got booted out of my seat because it was where a “regular” would always sit……i was a child ffs and this “regular” was like 50 years old, proper odd jobs.

1 hour ago, Oh Louie louie said:

There was a diamond of a steward, called steve, on the coaches.

Always  used to wear rugby tops, think he was from long ashton.

Used to go up and down the coach chatting, which most didnt do.

He also lent me 50p, overstreched my limits on the fruit machines at the services on the way to brentford.

DId he have fair hair (now grey)?  If it's the person I'm thinking of it's Beryl Fudge's son.  Good lad.

3 hours ago, slartibartfast said:

Back in the Fourth Div, you didn't get a choice (talking night games), very odd mixture..........there was dear old Reg (RIP) and then there was Denver & his dad !!:shocking:

Denver and his dad.....was Denver the one with the beard who stank to high heaven?  Ended up being relegated to coach 2.....I have the phrase "Chicken in a puddle" in my head....any coach 2 regular from the mid to late 90's will remember I'm sure!

7 minutes ago, Steve Watts said:

DId he have fair hair (now grey)?  If it's the person I'm thinking of it's Beryl Fudge's son.  Good lad.

Denver and his dad.....was Denver the one with the beard who stank to high heaven?  Ended up being relegated to coach 2.....I have the phrase "Chicken in a puddle" in my head....any coach 2 regular from the mid to late 90's will remember I'm sure!

You've got him !

Used it a lot during early 80's .Like previous comment  their wasn't  much option. Beryl  ran the show brilliantly, just phone up and if they had space I jumped on at temple  meads. Their always was a few strange un's on board but normally a few that could be relied on if needed  tuba and little Ronnie rip were regulars.

2 hours ago, RoystonFoote'snephew said:

I can't comment on that specifically but in the days that I traveled on CATS City usually took 3 coaches away from home on average. Both coach 1 and 2 had their regulars with spare spaces filled on each with the overspill on coach 3. As is usual for us Brits the regulars like to sit in their same seats, not just for football travel but also for coaching holidays, in pubs etc. 

So it is true then,

2 hours ago, Steve Watts said:

Beryl’s son was always one coach 1, sat at the back, Steve was not her son...coffee maker supreme

6 hours ago, Oh Louie louie said:

Anyone been on it?

I missed out by 6 seats, for a game at oxford about 97 in the ldv.

I understand, it takes guts to come forward.

I know a bloke, who lived off north street was on it for years.

Didnt miss a game in twenty years, he was 3 minutes late, they went without him.

Must be somebody on here been on it.

Duke of wellington quote.

I dont know what they did to the enemy, but these guys scare the hell out of me.

I've been on 'coach one' a few times.

Otherwise known as the Royston Vasey Express....

It's a badge of honour ?

I think I used CATs three times. Once to Preston for the last match of the season in 98, once to Sheff Wednesday for the FA Cup game under Clueless and finally to Wembley for the Freight LDV paint pot trophy against Stoke. 

The coach broke down on the way back from Sheffield and we lost all three matches. 

Probably explains why I usually drive everywhere.

Archived