IGNORED

Cats coach number 1

Oh Louie louie

4 hours ago, adamski said:

Beryl’s son was always one coach 1, sat at the back, Steve was not her son...coffee maker supreme

That was Dave, Beryl’s younger son. Steve is her older son, but I never saw him on CATS, he hung around with a group of mates who were obviously a bit more up for nonsense…

Dave used to hang about with John Whittock, who was the other Hanham lad.

Stuart Chard was the steward on it, a few other regulars I remembered with 2 brothers from Cadbury Heath, Rich & Jim Harding, plus a bloke from Patchway called Mike Harris who had seen every game for about 15 years in a row.

I stopped going on CATS by the mid 80s, although it did have a few strange ones (especially the previously mentioned Ray & Denver) it wasn’t as bad then as it appears to have become in recent years, then very much “a local coach for local people”..

2 hours ago, GrahamC said:

That was Dave, Beryl’s younger son. Steve is her older son, but I never saw him on CATS, he hung around with a group of mates who were obviously a bit more up for nonsense…

Dave used to hang about with John Whittock, who was the other Hanham lad.

Stuart Chard was the steward on it, a few other regulars I remembered with 2 brothers from Cadbury Heath, Rich & Jim Harding, plus a bloke from Patchway called Mike Harris who had seen every game for about 15 years in a row.

I stopped going on CATS by the mid 80s, although it did have a few strange ones (especially the previously mentioned Ray & Denver) it wasn’t as bad then as it appears to have become in recent years, then very much “a local coach for local people”..

Good lord, whatever happened to them. I used to go with Chris Hunt on the coaches for a year or two, and if I remember correctly there were a couple of future CSF stalwarts that went on cats for a season (Wrexham away, and a stolen match ball come to mind - literally everyone got a slap off Wales Finest Police force, until a certain author coughed it up - just what was needed on a miserable wet cold night, standing in the rain, and losing 1-0...)

CATS were OK , but having a pee after consuming your 'not-allowed' cans was a real pain.

I preferred independent means afterwards, usually because of the 'no drinking' rule on CATS. Plus I got banned anyway after a punch on against Burnley and was spotted by one of the above mentioned son's who told their mother....

Beryl had a right old 'no-shit' attitude - but I really appreciated what she did. Even after being banned!

Huge loss to City when she passed on.

No this steve was a dark haired fella.

He did it a lot in the 90s.

I was outside the ground at orient, in 2015, coach 1 pulled up.

They, turned into a pack of wild dogs, when they saw the programe seller.

Was denver a guy, with a beard and glasses? used to go games with a older guy, who wore a mac in all weathers?

Hi All. I’m Rich and although I read the forum most days I don’t post but I think that it would be a bit rude not to reply to the comments  when you’re chatting about me.  They were great days. At the end of the 80’s and throughout the 90’s Jim and myself missed a lot of football when we spent years off travelling. Jim lives in Spain these days but he’s still a big City fan. I’ve had a season ticket for the last ten years or more again and I still go with Harry Dyer to all home matches and I’m starting to get to a few more away matches.

19 hours ago, Oh Louie louie said:

There was a diamond of a steward, called steve, on the coaches.

Always  used to wear rugby tops, think he was from long ashton.

Used to go up and down the coach chatting, which most didnt do.

He also lent me 50p, overstreched my limits on the fruit machines at the services on the way to brentford.

I think the Steve you’re talking about was a different Steve to Beryl’s eldest. This Steve used to steward, and in the days when we’d routinely take 4 or more coaches to away games (before everyone went by car/train) Steve would regularly steward Coach 4. I used to go on that one: we even had our own fanzine, produced in very limited edition! Called Next Stop Ashton Gate, because that’s what Steve used to announce very loudly after the Temple Meads drop off on the way home. 

9 minutes ago, italian dave said:

I think the Steve you’re talking about was a different Steve to Beryl’s eldest. This Steve used to steward, and in the days when we’d routinely take 4 or more coaches to away games (before everyone went by car/train) Steve would regularly steward Coach 4. I used to go on that one: we even had our own fanzine, produced in very limited edition! Called Next Stop Ashton Gate, because that’s what Steve used to announce very loudly after the Temple Meads drop off on the way home. 

Steve Tuckfield ?

10 hours ago, The Constant Rabbit said:

Good lord, whatever happened to them. I used to go with Chris Hunt on the coaches for a year or two, and if I remember correctly there were a couple of future CSF stalwarts that went on cats for a season (Wrexham away, and a stolen match ball come to mind - literally everyone got a slap off Wales Finest Police force, until a certain author coughed it up - just what was needed on a miserable wet cold night, standing in the rain, and losing 1-0...)

CATS were OK , but having a pee after consuming your 'not-allowed' cans was a real pain.

I preferred independent means afterwards, usually because of the 'no drinking' rule on CATS. Plus I got banned anyway after a punch on against Burnley and was spotted by one of the above mentioned son's who told their mother....

Beryl had a right old 'no-shit' attitude - but I really appreciated what she did. Even after being banned!

Huge loss to City when she passed on.

Forgotten that "Matchballgate" , the cops wouldn't let it lie until it was returned ! I was sat opposite the miscreants .

On 17/06/2021 at 13:44, City Rocker said:

I did a few CATS trips in the early 80s, where a less-than-full coach made up almost the entire City following. There were a couple of Hanham lads always at the back of the coach, and for some reason I recall a lad from Claverham who was always on there. Can't remember any names (I was very young back then mind!) but occasionally you spot a familiar face in the concourse on matchdays.

Yep, was a regular on coach 1 in the Div 4 days. I'm sure the brothers (wish I could remember their names) talked themselves into the directors box at the Hartlepool (2-2) match. It was a bloody long trip in those days and 2-0 down in 15 mins!!

15 hours ago, S22 said:

Hi All. I’m Rich and although I read the forum most days I don’t post but I think that it would be a bit rude not to reply to the comments  when you’re chatting about me.  They were great days. At the end of the 80’s and throughout the 90’s Jim and myself missed a lot of football when we spent years off travelling. Jim lives in Spain these days but he’s still a big City fan. I’ve had a season ticket for the last ten years or more again and I still go with Harry Dyer to all home matches and I’m starting to get to a few more away matches.

Rich and Jim @S22 that was it!! Really sad I know, but remember Jim having an intense conversation with a local as to whether it was Hartlepool or Hartlepools ?

20 hours ago, S22 said:

I used to travel with Rich, Jim and Mike ( Mr Coke), Dave,( Beryl's son) there were a couple of Graham's as I remember. I used to work at the gate for a few years at the time. In the early 80s.I remember the Halifax game, Graham mentioned, we all went for a drink in their supporters club. I'm now living in Cyprus.

My dad used to go by CATS during Beryls time and would have probably gone on coach 1, although I doubt he would have noticed any difference as he was deaf as a post and would have spent the journey listening to radio 4 on his headphones.

I do know that he reported two coppers for harrassment after a game in Wales, (Wrexham?) and I was at his house when the local police came and interviewed him about it, he mentioned there was only one coach, so that seems likely.

On 17/06/2021 at 15:20, RoystonFoote'snephew said:

I can't comment on that specifically but in the days that I traveled on CATS City usually took 3 coaches away from home on average. Both coach 1 and 2 had their regulars with spare spaces filled on each with the overspill on coach 3. As is usual for us Brits the regulars like to sit in their same seats, not just for football travel but also for coaching holidays, in pubs etc. 

Wrong,if I was on coach 1,and I was asked to move because it was a "Regulars"seat I'd say tough,I was here first,

9 hours ago, Cypriot red said:

I used to travel with Rich, Jim and Mike ( Mr Coke), Dave,( Beryl's son) there were a couple of Graham's as I remember. I used to work at the gate for a few years at the time. In the early 80s.I remember the Halifax game, Graham mentioned, we all went for a drink in their supporters club. I'm now living in Cyprus.

Would you be Chris by any chance?

On 17/06/2021 at 17:57, Sweeneys Penalties said:

only used CATS once (happy being an independent traveller. Away to Leyton Orient.... we arrived at Half Time. Never again! 

You were very unlucky mate, I travelled on coach one loads in the late 80s early 90s and we only arrived late twice. That orient match about 88 after an horrendous journey through the East end of London and Sheffield Weds away on a mid week in the early 90s.

15 hours ago, ForeverRed said:

Yep, was a regular on coach 1 in the Div 4 days. I'm sure the brothers (wish I could remember their names) talked themselves into the directors box at the Hartlepool (2-2) match. It was a bloody long trip in those days and 2-0 down in 15 mins!!

Hi ForeveRed, Jim blagged his way into the directors box that day after first getting himself invited and attending a wedding reception somewhere near the ground. I'm pretty sure that it was at Hartlepool where he managed to get some stray dogs through the turnstile with him onto the terracing behind the goal but that might of been on the other visit there. 

10 hours ago, Cypriot red said:

Hi Chris, long time no see. I hope that you're well. 

3 minutes ago, sglosbcfc said:

You were very unlucky mate, I travelled on coach one loads in the late 80s early 90s and we only arrived late twice. That orient match about 88 after an horrendous journey through the East end of London and Sheffield Weds away on a mid week in the early 90s.

That Owls game. Was it the one where someone threw up on the coach before we`d even left Bristol and then a tyre went on the M5 around Worcester? We pulled up outside Hillsborough just in time to hear the roar as their first goal went in. It was their promotion party, the place was packed and we lost 3-1 - Hirst & Francis took us apart and Wayne Allison got ours with a real screamer from about thirty yards.

22 minutes ago, Lanterne Rouge said:

That Owls game. Was it the one where someone threw up on the coach before we`d even left Bristol and then a tyre went on the M5 around Worcester? We pulled up outside Hillsborough just in time to hear the roar as their first goal went in. It was their promotion party, the place was packed and we lost 3-1 - Hirst & Francis took us apart and Wayne Allison got ours with a real screamer from about thirty yards.

I think you might be right mate. as I said I only recall Coach One being late twice so it does stick in my mind. I believe we listened to the Wednesday game on the radio as we travelled up. As others have commented, great hospitality on the coach. You couldn't drink alcohol, but if that didn't bother you, tea, coffee, crisps, chocolate etc were available for bargain prices. My Saturday away trips with the old man were spent largely eating from 10am until 10pm (for trips oop North). A Russian slice and steak and kidney pie from Bemmy Mountstevens were bought first thing ? Great days and some great characters on that coach. Superbly commanded by the wonderful Beryl Fudge may she RIP.

On 17/06/2021 at 18:20, adamski said:

Beryl’s son was always one coach 1, sat at the back, Steve was not her son...coffee maker supreme

I travelled on Coach one quite a lot for a couple of years in the early 90's. there was a bit of a hierarchy. To be fair the lot of the front hardly if ever missed an away game.  I sat in the group with Beryl's son Dave at the back. Great lad, dry sense of humour and never missed a game either. A group of us did a tour of Ireland for City's pre season and also Pisa.  The steward was Steve who came from Winsley near Bradford on Avon. Gave me a lift home one night after an away game to save getting train back. He was in charge of programme distribution at the Gate. 

It wasn't as bad as people make out but after a while I reverted back to type and started going on the train again to away games as i do now except Leeds last season.

The club was different then.  More personal....... actually a lot more.

16 hours ago, Cypriot red said:

Hi Chris - sent you a PM!

Old chaps reunion on here this weekend!

Archived