IGNORED

? Contract Extension ?

Unan

14 minutes ago, italian dave said:

Personally think that won’t happen due to finances. The only reason you pick a sponsor is how much money they offer - Clubs will lobby the government not to put this ban in place. It would be an extra kick in the teeth to football finances if they are banned

8 minutes ago, TonyTonyTony said:

Personally think that won’t happen due to finances. The only reason you pick a sponsor is how much money they offer - Clubs will lobby the government not to put this ban in place. It would be an extra kick in the teeth to football finances if they are banned

The Swansea marketing manager, who featured heavily in the TV programme last week about gambling and football seemed to think it was a distinct possibility. 

1 hour ago, redsquirrel said:

cant see a problem with it myself,certainly wouldnt make me fancy a bet at a match. if they have the money to waste,why shouldnt we take it?

Think you're missing the point. All that money they've got to waste... How do you think they get that money to waste in the first place? Whilst you and I might only do the odd accumulator once in a blue moon, there are thousands of people among us who have real gambling problems. 

It's a horrendous addiction, that takes over people's lives, and ruin theirs and the people closest to them aswell. It's just as harmful as drug addiction. 

Gambling adverts have got massively out of hand, to the point where kids are becoming addicted to it. Kids. 

It has to be clamped down, sooner rather than later. 

10 hours ago, redsquirrel said:

cant see a problem with it myself,certainly wouldnt make me fancy a bet at a match. if they have the money to waste,why shouldnt we take it?

9 hours ago, Wolf Island said:

Ruins so many lives shouldn’t be promoted freely on sports shirts, tv ads etc. Especially online gambling. Shameful that SL and the club would stoop so low. 

The arguments been made before, but what is the difference in a betting company sponsoring a shirt, and an alcohol company sponsoring one?

I don't want to go suddenly go out and throw a £100 bet at Mansion Bet (or others) anymore than I want to spend £100 on alcohol.

The times people have said on here, "oh our shirt Sponsor should be Thatchers/Haze/Gold, Blackthorn (quite recently actually)". The majority wouldn't have a problem if the sponsor was one of the above, yet people feel the need to get on the moral high ground because a betting company is the main sponsor.

Alcohol has probably caused/ruined just as many lives as betting has.

This isn't a dig at anyone in particular, and @Wolf Island I just picked your response as it was the closest/most recent one, so apologies.

I’d prefer we didn’t but in the real world there are very few options.

Other clubs are sponsored by their university for instance but in a 2 club city (& with obvious bias towards the other lot from certain public sector institutions) that isn’t going to happen here.

Would love to see Thatchers as our sponsor, local, hugely successful company, one for Mr. Gould’s in-tray, I think.

2 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Other clubs are sponsored by their university for instance but in a 2 club city (& with obvious bias towards the other lot from certain public sector institutions) that isn’t going to happen here.

Would love to see Thatchers as our sponsor, local, hugely successful company, one for Mr. Gould’s in-tray, I think.

I’d say alchohol ruins as many lives as gambling so anyone coming at it from that angle would surely be against Thatchers too?

45 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Would love to see Thatchers as our sponsor, local, hugely successful company, one for Mr. Gould’s beer-tray, I think.

Fixed

17 hours ago, Wolf Island said:

Shameful 

12 hours ago, TonyTonyTony said:

Why is it shameful? It’s not illegal. 

Anybody that has seen close up the effect which gambling addiction can have on a person and their family would understand.

Yes, shameful.

1 hour ago, MarcusX said:

I’d say alchohol ruins as many lives as gambling so anyone coming at it from that angle would surely be against Thatchers too?

Personally if we go down that road we would rule out almost everything.

Pizza company? Obesity..

Thatchers strike me as a responsible company with local ties, far more preferable than a betting company, where I believe the ethics to be dubious.

I really dislike on-line gambling and all the advertising around it and I won't be buying any shirts with Mansion Bet logo for that reason.

I am not anti-gambling per se and have the odd flutter at Ascot or on the National but the amount of focus on betting  on TV is almost out of control. 

The likes of Jeff Stelling seem to have sold their  souls to the devil.  

Archived