IGNORED

TV fire sticks

Robbored

14 hours ago, TonyTonyTony said:

Stick it in an HDMI port - enter the WiFi password and Fanny is your uncle

You can get free footy too if you are a bit savvy so that probably counts you out ?

Exactly this, best use of a fire stick imo.

If you don't have a smart TV they're very useful. If not, they're just handy if there's a particular app you want that your TV doesn't support.

18 hours ago, Sturny said:

Surprised firesticks are still a thing. Thought they were rapidly dying out with most if not all modern TVs having it inbuilt to the software

The problem is the proprietary software that some TV manufacturers use has limited apps. I have a lovely LG TV but the inbuilt web browser for example is unusable and there are no alternatives on their App Store. 

During last season I couldn't use it for watching Robins TV and resorted to casting from my laptop which was patchy at best.

On 17/06/2021 at 16:57, Robbored said:

Has anyone used one? Are they easy to use and are various apps needed to run it?

Get the cube mate (more money)I would suggest rather than ones what hang out the back because they are not the best

On 18/06/2021 at 12:27, Sturny said:

Surprised firesticks are still a thing. Thought they were rapidly dying out with most if not all modern TVs having it inbuilt to the software

That’s what I thought but not the case the tv apps are your standard and the 3rd party apps don’t work well

Edited by joe jordans teeth

Have been using Firesticks for years, very handy, I  have my free streaming apps on there so I can watch practically any film or tv shows for free when I'm working away from home in Northern Canada ( I can't access BBC iplayer here), there are many videos on YouTube to show you how to set them up, it's very simple, if you decide to go this route I would recommend using Real Debrid it gets all the best feeds so no buffering and costs about 30 Euros a year. If you need any info just holler :laugh:

9 hours ago, Ashton Yate said:

Anyone recommend a decent VPN that can be used with a Firestick, ideally a free one?

I have read a few articles about issues with free VPN's and how effective they are, ask yourself where the value is running a service like that for free.

I use Private Internet Access (PIA) across 5 devices for £45 for 2 years, they guarantee they don't hold any user records so they can't even be made to produce anything. 

Their current deai is a little higher but still very competitive.

https://www.privateinternetaccess.com/buy-vpn-online?coupon=official-site&utm_campaign=10277460156&utm_adgroup=103869448513&keyword=pia vpn&gclid=CjwKCAjwzruGBhBAEiwAUqMR8GsyfhVL4j42N1NNp6rPH4i8gYMewDht6QIVXmeisTcyjxOrBW7M-RoCnUMQAvD_BwE

Like ISP's there are plenty out there with introductory offers though.

• Thanks 2

33 minutes ago, phantom said:

Do people "really" need one?

I've never been convinced either way

I've wondered this too. Very much interested in IPTV via Firestick, but don't know enough about it, and hear everyone saying about using a VPN too, but know very little about that either. I get what it does, but is it really necessary? How likely is it that this will be detected?

27 minutes ago, Ashton Yate said:

I've wondered this too. Very much interested in IPTV via Firestick, but don't know enough about it, and hear everyone saying about using a VPN too, but know very little about that either. I get what it does, but is it really necessary? How likely is it that this will be detected?

With the IPTV service i use they have a built in VPN option. I've very rarely used a VPN only when there has been a block from the "big" broadband providers.

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Ashton Yate said:

I was under the impression tat certain streaming providers were blocked in certain territories, so using a vpn gets around that, once you know which country is best. 

• Thanks 1

• Admin

It really depends what you want 

You can get brand new films / TV from America etc and the majority of worldwide sports quite easily, there are lots of videos on YouTube on how to do it yourself (chipped) once upon a time it was unknown how to do it but there's so many YouTube videos now anyone can do it

If you want the more niche championship channels you'd need to pay for IPTV 

• Like 1

• Admin
4 hours ago, Lew-T said:

I’ve been thinking about this now for a little while. I’m currently with Virgin and it’s effin extortionate for what I’m getting…

Is it worth it? Sport and movies is what I’m after.

See my reply above, I'm not that great with IT. but I've installed apps for new films and TV, there's also sports available but I have some of that through sky still 

If you want I can pm you the links on YouTube I used (though am out all weekend, and will be too pissed on Monday due to the world Cup) 

• Thanks 1

On 17/11/2022 at 13:16, redsince82 said:

There seems to be a lot of people using "chipped" firesticks atm. My (a friends) question is.. is it worth paying the monthly fee for iptv? or  is it just as good paying a  one off charge (circa £50.00) to jailbreak a firestick?. 

No such thing as a chipped fire stick,if you want to watch movies or football (top level football and champions league)than it’s all free with a few apps if you know what to get,if you want live tv channels then iptv is the way to go but it will cost,personally I don’t watch much live tv so doesn’t appeal to me 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Lew-T said:

I’ve been thinking about this now for a little while. I’m currently with Virgin and it’s effin extortionate for what I’m getting…

Is it worth it? Sport and movies is what I’m after.

Then no it’s not if that’s what you are after because all that is free,I personally use navixsport or la deportes for sport,mainly football but if there is a big boxing fight then it’s normally in there,for movies and tv shows then it’s a take your pick because there are so many and it’s a case of what suits you (always use a vpn,proton I would suggest because it’s free and unlimited and perfectly safe).have to add there is loads of cricket in the sports app but you are prone to see hairy hands Richard keys watching the football  but don’t let that put you off :laugh:

Edited by joe jordans teeth
  • Thanks 1