IGNORED

Results from 1986

Offside

Saw this on facebook. Results in Div 3 and 4 (as they were then) from Sept 1986.

Good win for City at Chesterfield (we always seemed to beat them). 

What’s noticeable is the low crowds at that time - 2,000 for the blue few (proves how massive they have always been) and also for Cardiff and Burnley. 

David Kelly scored for Walsall. So it wasn’t just against us he got the goals. 

Caldwell scored for Bolton - he had an 80s-style moustache and signed for us at one point (had a good reputation too) but from what I recall he wasn’t very good. 

8BF6C426-D092-4CBA-A793-38CEF41FF1FB.jpeg

41 minutes ago, Offside said:

Saw this on facebook. Results in Div 3 and 4 (as they were then) from Sept 1986.

What’s noticeable is the low crowds at that time - 2,000 for the blue few (proves how massive they have always been) and also for Cardiff and Burnley. 

Caldwell scored for Bolton - he had an 80s-style moustache and signed for us at one point (had a good reputation too) but from what I recall he wasn’t very good. 

Blimey, didn't realise that Eden Hazard was around and scoring for Chelsea all the way back then.

35 minutes ago, Offside said:

But, but, but, Rovers had a bigger crowd than City!

Believe it or not, the then Evening Post actually did this comparison of attendances between the two Bristol clubs. They compared the average of the home games from the previous season, then the following season, took the average of all games, home and away. 

City's Home average was considerably higher than Rovers for the first season, then lower for the following season as it included all the lower aggregate attendances. Obviously this was a season when Rovers increased theirs slightly and the paper made a story about how Rovers were catching City in attracting bigger crowds. It's what they do and have always done, big F*** the Gas and knock down the City.

8 minutes ago, Robbored said:

I remember the attendances at AG back then rarely being above 5k so it’s no surprise to see that other clubs in the same situation.

Much has changed in the 35 years since.

1985 average = 8,500. 1986 average = 6,600. 1987 average =9,400.

This site aids the memory cells.  England historical attendance and performance (european-football-statistics.co.uk) 

17 minutes ago, elhombrecito said:

Blimey, didn't realise that Eden Hazard was around and scoring for Chelsea all the way back then.

Haha, yeah and Joe Morrell scored for Bournemouth. No wonder we released him, he must be getting on a bit!

11 minutes ago, Robbored said:

Tbh the early 80s were a dark time for City and thankfully they’re blurred in my memory.

We're of the same age and it was a grim time in the early 80's. apart from promotion 84. It improved with Freight Rover 86 and 87, league cup semi final 89, promotion 89/90. Football was probably more exciting than now though.

3 hours ago, Offside said:

1 hour ago, Alan Dicks said:

Cash on the turnstiles back then, and a few books being cooked.

Books being cooked to an extent, but crowds also dropped right off by the mid 1980s for a variety of reasons, before recovering as time went on.

3 hours ago, Offside said:

I'm equally nerdy and enjoy looking at stuff like this!

3 hours ago, MC RISK77 said:

David Platt scoring for Crewe

Gabbiadini scored for York and would score against is a few times.

Archived