IGNORED

Sam Whatshisface

Port Said Red

22 minutes ago, OneCity said:

I've got a bit of time for Jonathan Pearce but today's commentators are not a patch on the likes of Barry Davies or Brian Moore, or even Motty.

The major difference between now and those days of yore, is a co-commentator. As if one guy (or gal) yapping we have to have two of them.

One for me is enough.

Very true! It seems to be more about entertainment and conversational banter than just commentating on the game. 

It's not just whatshisface though is it. Commentary, as actually commentating on action, went out when the first dumbass TV executive decided to place a misinformed prat alongside the commentator. Now you just have to accept that you'll get 20% commentary, 40% unwanted opinion and 40% inane chatter like two gossipy women on a coffee morning. Sadly the days of Wolstenholme and Moore who shut up when there was nothing to say are long gone. I'm afraid if you don't like it put the TV on mute. 

16 hours ago, Port Said Red said:

Jesus Christ the guy is awful. He was so bad I forgot he wasn't Clyde Tyldesley. 

Is there some kind of ITV editorial directive that says that the commentator mustn't actually commentate on the game for more than 20% of the time. 

I am glad I didn't follow through with my idea of a drinking game, taking a shot every time he mentioned Euro 96, I wouldn't have made it to half time.

90% talking about anything else 5% talking bollocks about the actual game and 5% getting players names wrong.

Summed up his night by suddenly saying that Scotland are 3rd worst team in the tournament after 89 minutes of saying how dangerous they were. 

Total ***, who probably gets paid the ******* earth to do the job.

‘Put your brain in gear & if you can add to what’s on the screen then do so, otherwise shut up’ 
Richie Benaud.

51 minutes ago, RoystonFoote'snephew said:

It's not just whatshisface though is it. Commentary, as actually commentating on action, went out when the first dumbass TV executive decided to place a misinformed prat alongside the commentator. Now you just have to accept that you'll get 20% commentary, 40% unwanted opinion and 40% inane chatter like two gossipy women on a coffee morning. Sadly the days of Wolstenholme and Moore who shut up when there was nothing to say are long gone. I'm afraid if you don't like it put the TV on mute. 

And men don't gossip then or drink coffee?

Part of what was truly dreadful coverage overall. England were nowhere near their best and that was disappointing. Scotland were at their best and deserved at least a point. But this hysterical tabloid black and white, everything England crap and everything Scotland outstanding was simply absurd. England beat Scotland on virtually every stat- possession, shots and corners- except fouls. This is not to denigrate Scotland or ignore the huge questions about Southgate as a tactician. But to hear Wright, Souness and Keane bang on an on was nauseating. ( Why is Keane always a pundit on England incidentally?) Wright started with a ‘we’re gonna win 4-0’ and ended saying he was embarrassed and that only Pickford emerged with any credit (did he have any impression of Mings, whose been immense in both games?) Ultimately England, a bunch of losers led by a dunce, have 4 points and will end on 4, 5 or 7. They will be in the next round whatever. Scotland, a team of giants led by a coaching genius, have 1 point and will end with 1, 2 or 4, with only the latter leading to progression. Don’t know how far England will go and not sure I care if I have to endure ITV coverage again.

2 hours ago, Bedred31 said:

Part of what was truly dreadful coverage overall. England were nowhere near their best and that was disappointing. Scotland were at their best and deserved at least a point. But this hysterical tabloid black and white, everything England crap and everything Scotland outstanding was simply absurd. England beat Scotland on virtually every stat- possession, shots and corners- except fouls. This is not to denigrate Scotland or ignore the huge questions about Southgate as a tactician. But to hear Wright, Souness and Keane bang on an on was nauseating. ( Why is Keane always a pundit on England incidentally?) Wright started with a ‘we’re gonna win 4-0’ and ended saying he was embarrassed and that only Pickford emerged with any credit (did he have any impression of Mings, whose been immense in both games?) Ultimately England, a bunch of losers led by a dunce, have 4 points and will end on 4, 5 or 7. They will be in the next round whatever. Scotland, a team of giants led by a coaching genius, have 1 point and will end with 1, 2 or 4, with only the latter leading to progression. Don’t know how far England will go and not sure I care if I have to endure ITV coverage again.

No they didn't: Scotland had more shots, on and off-target, than England.

14 hours ago, maxjak said:

Lee Dixon is without doubt the best co commentator at the Euros, combining insightful tactical knowledge with a great deadpan humour, John Hartson has to be the worst?............merely describing what has just happened, and offering up his degree in "the bleedin obvious".  "That was a good shot there, it went close" ?      I think the  BBC  would do anything for a transfer swap between Hartson and Dixon?   The back and forward dialogue ( I pheckin hate the word Banter) between Lee Dixon and   Ally Mcoist was by far the most entertaining feature of what was a pretty dull  match, that, and having the fans back in the stadium made it bearable.  IMHO.  ?               

Best co commentator other than the fact he continued to single out Gilmour early doors for being off the pace and tired when he owned the midfield for nigh on 60 minutes before his substitution.  

Archived