IGNORED

What’s the problem with England?

Fordy62

I looked at the bench and the subs team was better than the Scotland team.

That's two disappointing games now, and we've qualified, but we don't look like progressing very far.

Just look at the Italy team to see how a well coached group can play.

We rarely run with the ball. We prefer to take 25 passes to get it into the final third.

Defences at this level, even Scotland's, are well-drilled, so with these ultra-slow build ups our forward line is then facing an immovable line of opponents by the time it gets within shooting range.

This tournament, so far, has produced few classic matches, but when you look at the teams that have (at times) looked exciting: France; Italy; Belgium, hell - even Wales, they break fast with a player taking the ball often 2/3rds of the pitch and multiple others running to give him options. Midfields are bypassed, defences panicked and the keeper has to watch three or four oncoming goal threats.

Tonight we looked like our only hope to score was from set pieces  Virtually no threat from open play. And even Scotland had that.

Is it really Southgate thats the problem?

We've had talented squads for a while now, with the tournaments where our squad wasn't good being the less common (hindsight wise people will criticise those teams, but it was our "golden generation".

And in that time multiple managers failed to get the best out of the players available.

I'm not saying Southgate is a great manager or anything, but underperforming England sides predate him and have happened under more talented managers than him.

2 hours ago, Maltshoveller said:

Maybe just maybe some of these players are not as good as we like to think

Yes, uninspiring manager, and the captain is without any kind of get up and go. Sterling can only get past an opponent using pace, not skill, and most of the others have huge egos with not a lot to back it up!

7 hours ago, Fordy62 said:

Christ. Dominos cheese only pizza looking to rival the England team for disappointment of the night!

5DFCA5FA-380A-4ACB-B961-21634F74BDDE.jpeg

I’ve started making my own. Get the bases from Sainsbury’s, make my own tomato purée and pop some strong cheddar on the top with a drizzle of olive oil. 

They come out wicked? 

7 hours ago, Fordy62 said:

I’d like someone to convince me it’s not Gareth Southgate. 

We have an embarrassment of riches and we’re about as good as QPR. 

I feel lucky to come away with a point against ******* Scotland. 

Jesus wept. It’s got to get better than this. 

We don't have an embarrassment of riches. Unfortunately we have a captain who is a flat track bully with the leadership skills of a sloth. Another flat track bully on the wing who will always let you down when it matters. They're the problem...

35 minutes ago, Oh Louie louie said:

Im watching sky sports now, the sweatys are celebrating, like they have won the world cup ffs.

All scotlands players on paper bar 1 or two are at qprs level.

Ours arent, there lies the issue, which manager got more out his players?

You need to put it into context. I’m Welsh and if we drew against England in 2016 I would of been on cloud nine. Us and Scotland don’t get to play in the big boys league often so we need to celebrate anything. I’m a realist and know once Bale and Ramsey are gone we will revert back to getting giddy beating Malta. 
I can only assume this is how Rovers feel when they played in league one. 

7 hours ago, pongo88 said:

It must be Gareth Southgate. When, occasionally, England has had a good manager the performance have been good - Alf Ramsey, Bobby Robson and  Terry Venables. Alf obviously won the World Cup and the latter two reached World Cup and Euro semi finals only to lose on penalties. I know Southgate reached the World Cup semis but the performances were hardly sparkling. 

Don’t forget Hoddle.

• Admin
8 hours ago, Fordy62 said:

Christ. Dominos cheese only pizza looking to rival the England team for disappointment of the night!

5DFCA5FA-380A-4ACB-B961-21634F74BDDE.jpeg

Surely you’ve sat in on enough PM’s to see what shit like that does to you…….

As for England, last night was turgid wasn’t it, but whilst the formation and tactics weren’t conducive to attacking football, when there was an opportunity, the execution was well below what players of this calibre should be achieving.

6 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Attitude and hunger as a collective.

In which case that has to come from top - Southgate.

He’s yet another manager who’s way too cautious. In both games England have been defensively sound but barely had a shot on target…….………:disapointed2se:

He has an abundance of top class players at his disposal but fails to give them license to play their own game and consequently England are dull and uninspiring to watch. That’s two games now where I almost nodded off………..:sleeping:

Most of agree that Grealish is the closest we’ve had to Gazza in 25 years but he doesn’t start………:cool2: and when he did come on after an hour he was sent to play on the left…..ffs…..he should have been in the middle and told to run at the Scottish defenders but he was unable to create much at all from the left.

Southgate said  afterwards that English fans would be disappointed - too bloody right!. 

4 points will take us through to the last 16 but I dread to think what’ll happen when we come up against the Dutch,Italy or France or even Germany who are currently playing poorly.

Imo England have zero chance of winning it based on the performances so far.

Southgate: sacked by Boro, walks into the England job. He’s a yes man, who won’t rock the boat. Remind you any anyone (minus the bullshit)?

I like his honesty and integrity, but he was tactically outwitted by Steve Clarke last night. The team selection was negative against the third worst team in the competition, he was too slow to make any subs (Kane should’ve been hauled off at the break), and when he did, he took off our brightest player and wasted Grealish out wide. 

The problem is we can all see his shortcomings but there’s nobody English who could do much better such is the dearth of top English coaches. I’d take Rodgers if he wanted it.  

It was poor last night, you can't excuse that performance.

The only thing I can take from this is when England start poorly in a tournament they can build momentum and go on a good run.

Hopefully this is a bit of a wake up call and all the criticism will help build a seize mentality as thats how we perform best, under pressure underdogs..

3 hours ago, Oh Louie louie said:

Jesus that interview.

We have a lot of work to do to improve performances.

Hes had 5 years to sort this out.

Some very very weak excuses trotted out there.

I couldn’t hear what was said, but his expression was quite telling! 

9 hours ago, NcnsBcfc said:

Yep, i agree with that.

After getting to the Semi final in 2018, by ending up playing Sweden and Columbia in the closing rounds; i think mentally the players were thinking. If we win this group it's either Portugal/France of Germany next. Second is probably Sweden  and third probably Holland. All a bit of a no brainer; a bit of game politik i reckon.

Winning the first game meant, that winning tonight, and pretty much we top the group. I'm sure plays on player's mind.

There were some bizaree subs though. Foden off, the only player out there with energy, keeping Sterling on. Then taking Kane off (who was awful again), and putting Rashford up front??? When you have Calvert-Levin to play that role.

Only 3 shots on target in two games (very cityesque). Two much reliance on Kane at the moment. If he's not playing well we don't score. 

Get Chilwell in, and trippier on the right. Get rid of the two holding midfielders (no other team plays it like us) and unleash players like Grealish, Sancho, Bellingham.

I think tonight we were caught in two many minds, over not losing to the Scots, but also the issue of not winning the group. Left the team a bit lacklustre as a result.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2021/jun/19/harry-kane-left-looking-out-of-place-as-system-built-around-him-fails-to-click?CMP=Share_iOSApp_Other

I reckon that England  vs Bristol City at Ashton gate might be the dullest game you would ever see.

Neither side with a shot-on-target.

Turgid, awful, chess playing crud.

1 minute ago, Oh Louie louie said:

Theres another issue.

Hes nice.

Where the hell will that get you in international football?

Players smuggling birds back to hotels, and fighting in canteens.

We need ruthless. he will never be feared or respected by players.

You can be nice and be successful as a manager if you’ve got ability. Terry Venables was liked by the players and cut them a bit of slack where appropriate. For example, he realised Gazza would go crazy (or should I say crazier) if he was cooped up during a tournament and let him do his own thing from time to time. With Venables relaxed attitude England still managed to play well in the Euros and only lost to penalties in the semi final 

Archived