IGNORED

Adam Nagy

davidoldfart

59 minutes ago, davidoldfart said:

3rd best player rated in the game today across both teams...and he gets verbals from our own supporters.Maybe he is too good for us, or NP will utilise his skills. 

Or maybe he’s not suited to Championship football?

If you read a lot of people’s posts you’ll see a positive acknowledgement relating to the role he plays for Hungary (generally plays it well) but is a very different than for Bristol City.

Maybe NP will get the best out of him, but he’s rarely played for Bristol City like he has for Hungary.

I’ve only caught glimpses of Hungary in the Euros.  The other night v Portugal I switched on as Nagy got out of trouble near his own corner flag, got past a couple of men (which we’ve rarely seen him do for City), took a heavy touch and lunged two-footed with aggression….luckily he made no contact.  Again, commitment I’ve not seen in a City shirt…I think he loves playing for his nation.  A minute later I saw him try to quickly press a pass recipient, and lose the man he had been marking, who then got rolled the ball with Nagy out of position.  Something I have seen in a City shirt.

By all accounts he had a very good game today (according to my dad).  Good stuff.  But has he done that very often for us?

International football is so different to club / championship football.  It’s why a lot of people don’t want to recruit based on international matches / tournaments.

Good player, not so sure he isn’t suited to the Championship personally. Maybe not so suited to the shower he was surrounded with last season? Saw an article yesterday that said Liverpool & Chelsea were watching him. Definitely a player in there. COYR 

Nagy is a good player and Im sure he wil be a starting player this season. Foreigners are often criticied in our club, Eliasson, Nagy, Weimann.Those 3 players are good footballers but They seems not good enough for Bristol City. Thinks a little bit odd. When a player wear our shirt he is a Cityplayer. Dont care If he is from Wien, Budapest or whatever. COYR!!!

Adam is a very talented player just not utilised or helped by the players around him last season. In my opinion He always seems to play with desire and passion for the game. Watching him in the euros I feel proud that he pulls on a Bristol city shirt. 
I am looking forward to next season to see how NP makes use of his talent I believe he can be a real positive next season 

7 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Or maybe he’s not suited to Championship football?

If you read a lot of people’s posts you’ll see a positive acknowledgement relating to the role he plays for Hungary (generally plays it well) but is a very different than for Bristol City.

Maybe NP will get the best out of him, but he’s rarely played for Bristol City like he has for Hungary.

I’ve only caught glimpses of Hungary in the Euros.  The other night v Portugal I switched on as Nagy got out of trouble near his own corner flag, got past a couple of men (which we’ve rarely seen him do for City), took a heavy touch and lunged two-footed with aggression….luckily he made no contact.  Again, commitment I’ve not seen in a City shirt…I think he loves playing for his nation.  A minute later I saw him try to quickly press a pass recipient, and lose the man he had been marking, who then got rolled the ball with Nagy out of position.  Something I have seen in a City shirt.

By all accounts he had a very good game today (according to my dad).  Good stuff.  But has he done that very often for us?

International football is so different to club / championship football.  It’s why a lot of people don’t want to recruit based on international matches / tournaments.

Fantastic post Dave. I have nothing against Nagy but i don't feel he's very well suited to The Champ. 

For me, its a similar situation with Joe Morrell and Wales. They both have specific roles within their National sides which don't require much flair or creativity. Expectations for both countries are fairly low as well.

1 minute ago, JonDolman said:

There were some very good performances from Nagy when playing in the holding role early in the season after returning from injury.

Cardiff, Huddersfield, QPR, Blackburn and Watford games. He played a key part in those 4 wins and 1 draw

We saw under LJ some fantastic displays like Birmingham and QPR first games before the injury. But then when back Huddersfield, Fulham and Nottingham Forest games he was very impressive. I remember a video on here of all his touches in the Forest 0-0 draw under LJ which I think was removed. Shame we can't watch it back as it shows just what Nagy brings to the side.

I liked him wide right end of the season. Put some good moves together when he has the ball out wide and his pressing from that side and tracking back very impressive.

He has had bad games too. As we know he doesn't lack effort, and I believe some managers would see him as a vital player in how he plays. His form may have suffered under LJ due to carrying an injury much of the season.

Playing well is of course down to the player but also massively down to how the team plays and the player being played in the correct role and in the correct team.

Like others have said Nagy might be ideally suited to a different nation where it's more tactical and technical than the English game. But the number of very good performances for us shows what he is capable of in the English game too.

So possibly at the wrong club in this country and not him simply not being up to the English game. I don't think he'd be capable of all those impressive displays (and probably more I can't think of) if he didn't have the ability.

He certainly has his weaknesses like most players do. It all comes down to how a manager wants to play and how he wants to build his team.

I expect Pearson wants a physically stronger midfielder in there like Matty James. I completely understand that. I think Nagy will be sold.

Excellent post. I know I`m very one-eyed when it comes to Adam and don`t always see some of the negatives that some others do but this pretty much nails it.

11 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

There were some very good performances from Nagy when playing in the holding role early in the season after returning from injury.

Cardiff, Huddersfield, QPR, Blackburn and Watford games. He played a key part in those 4 wins and 1 draw

We saw under LJ some fantastic displays like Birmingham and QPR first games before the injury. But then when back Huddersfield, Fulham and Nottingham Forest games he was very impressive. I remember a video on here of all his touches in the Forest 0-0 draw under LJ which I think was removed. Shame we can't watch it back as it shows just what Nagy brings to the side.

I liked him wide right end of the season. Put some good moves together when he has the ball out wide and his pressing from that side and tracking back very impressive.

He has had bad games too. As we know he doesn't lack effort, and I believe some managers would see him as a vital player in how he plays. His form may have suffered under LJ due to carrying an injury much of the season.

Playing well is of course down to the player but also massively down to how the team plays and the player being played in the correct role and in the correct team.

Like others have said Nagy might be ideally suited to a different nation where it's more tactical and technical than the English game. But the number of very good performances for us shows what he is capable of in the English game too.

So possibly at the wrong club in this country and not him simply not being up to the English game. I don't think he'd be capable of all those impressive displays (and probably more I can't think of) if he didn't have the ability.

He certainly has his weaknesses like most players do. It all comes down to how a manager wants to play and how he wants to build his team.

I expect Pearson wants a physically stronger midfielder in there like Matty James. I completely understand that. I think Nagy will be sold.

He certainly had a great game yesterday for Hungry against France albeit with a fair bit of twaddle being spoken by  summariser Pearce about him?. Liverpool and Chelsea after him, or were after him?oh yeah !  
I always thought he was an improvement on Pack, and he has a lot to offer. I get the feeling as well that he’s not a NP type player and I suspect you might be right that he is a saleable asset. I would like good old McGregor to ask NP about Adam !

We have seen only glimpses of the best of Nagy because of who has been played around him. No consistency of selection and absolutely pedestrian movement all around the side all season. He is excellent at moving the ball around but that relies on other players have decent movement. With the right midfield combination (& Weimann in the side too) we will see a lot more from him.

3 minutes ago, Maldini said:

Get him on the Massengo weight training programme and give Baker a one month contract to teach him the art of smashing someone.

More physical presence, less standoffish and more aggressive in the tackle next season please. 

Massengo is just filling out naturally and growing into his man strength - it's not as simple as putting him on a weight training programme which would probably be counter productive to his agility. It's not really the done thing for footballers as it's primarily an endurance sport.

Nagy got a mention on the BBC euros podcast too which is a good endorsement. Seems he was playing in a similar role to Rice/Phillips for England and was apparently very effective.

I think Nagy offers us something different to our other midfield options. He is a willing runner, and can be versatile in a holding role or more advanced position. 

However, off the back of a couple of decent performances in the Euros, would you turn down an offer of £3m+? 

Considering the rebuild required and the limited funds available, I would personally struggle to turn the money down. Especially when I believe Nagy won't be a first choice in midfield next season. 

One thing we all need to consider, is that the tempo and physicality in the Euros is very different to that of the championship. Over the years many top players have said that they have struggled to adapt to English football. It may be the case that Nagy is able to perform better during international football. 

If Matty James and Andy King both sign, we are looking stocked for options in centre midfield. A decent fee could allow us to try and sign Jerry Yates etc. 

A deal of £3m+ and a decent sell on would be enough to convince me to sell. 

Give me strength, not suited to championship football ?

Nagy is a class act who came to us from Hungary via Bologna then suffered a serious injury in his first season  all imports take time to settle , we have an excellent player on our hands who will become an integral part of the way we set up and play.

4 minutes ago, Abraham Romanovich said:

Nagy is a class act who came to us from Hungary via Bologna then suffered a serious injury in his first season  all imports take time to settle , we have an excellent player on our hands who will become an integral part of the way we set up and play.

Should become but I`m not sure he will have the chance sadly.

59 minutes ago, Edgy Red said:

Fantastic post Dave. I have nothing against Nagy but i don't feel he's very well suited to The Champ. 

For me, its a similar situation with Joe Morrell and Wales. They both have specific roles within their National sides which don't require much flair or creativity. Expectations for both countries are fairly low as well.

I was gonna bring Morrell into the thread, but as he has his own thread,  I didn’t.  It’s a similar kind of discussion.

56 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

Jon - you’ll know my views on this, but…

….most of the games you quote were good team performances where it is easy to say everyone had good games.  For me, it’s harder trying to find the games where he’s been standout in a poor team performance or the driving force in good team display.

I don’t think he’s a bad player, far from it….and if I saw him show more commitment in the tackle for City than I did the other night for Hungary that would be a good start.

I do agree though that he’s dependent on others around him too.  Can’t be all down to him, that’s unfair.  Plus there’s running around (which he can do in spades) and running around intelligently (which Weimann does imho).  He is tactically ill-disciplined for City, which is the opposite to Hungary.  Coventry (a) this season was the most headless chicken, expose your teammates performances I’ve seen from him.  Hauled off at h-t.

We are at the point though where with one year left on his contract and being an alleged high earner whether you want to move on, because on his current form for City, you’d question whether you’d want to exercise the option for another year on £15k+ p.w.  Having said that Nige might see something in his international performances and things there’s a better role for him and an overall team system tweak to get the best out of him.  That would be the best result….unless someone offers us a fee that is too good to dismiss.

22 minutes ago, Abraham Romanovich said:

How much longer do you want to give him to settle, out of interest?  I hope he does though, I want all our players to be a success.

Think it's less him not being suited - more the wider issue being as a squad, we lack height and aggression, and the squad balance is poor.

We need a hard working rough as nails box to box next to him. Kleinheiser, as an example. Whether Williams can fill that role? We'll see.

I think I’m a bigger fan of Nagy than a few on here but do accept the point that he doesn’t appear totally suited to Championship football at times, but there is something more fundamental than that.

He is the first name on the team sheet in midfield for them, at only 25 yesterday was his 50th cap, he is trusted & rated by their coach, knows he has his full confidence & a mistake or poor pass will be taken in the round.

Here under 3 coaches in 2 years he is seen as a squad player, Holden in particular didn’t even put him on the bench at the start of the season & he always plays seemingly having to justify his place.

We can only benefit from his excellent performance though, either it makes him more attractive to a buyer or we get a confident player back when Hungary are knocked out.

1 minute ago, Fuber said:

Think it's less him not being suited - more the wider issue being as a squad, we lack height and aggression, and the squad balance is poor.

We need a hard working rough as nails box to box next to him. Kleinheiser, as an example. Whether Williams can fill that role? We'll see.

Always liked Kleinheisler & was amazed to see that he is still only 27.

Plays in a poor league (Croatia) after moving around Europe a lot, a Hungarian journalist I spoke to yesterday said he hasn’t really replicated his international form at club level but to me he looks more suited to English football.

I agree he doesn’t seem suited to the championship but there were a few that said HNM wasn’t when he arrived, he’s worked hard to be more suited. 
Can Adam do the same, yes. Does he want to, who knows? 

Good footballers can adapt, footballs their job, they train 5 days a week, of course they can change........if they really want to.

Keith Curle was never cut out to be winger in a 4th tier team but Terry Cooper changed him to a centre half and he went on to represent his country as one. 

Just suppose that prior to the Euro's we had never heard of Adam Nagy. Then, after his positive performances so far we were linked, and managed to sign him! I think the collective "creaming ourselves" would be virtually uncontrollable on here.

There is undoubtedly a quality international class player in there, and he's ours! I say we trust Big Nige to make it work for us.

I LIKE Nagy and think he is a good footballer. yes he has weaknesses but doesn’t all our players. Not being suited to the Championship? Not sure, I think it’s more to do with the team he’s been playing for! BCFC have had no consistent playing style or team selections for a long time. Sadly I think he is one of those players that may have been the right player at the wrong time. 

Whilst I do agree that some players suit the culture of the league they play in, ( I remember the arguments saying could a Bryan Robson/Steven Gerard play in Serie A or La Liga at it’s best, Mark Hughes couldn’t settle, etc.) but I think part of this is about the pattern/style we have (or rather haven’t) adopted. It’s about the blend/lack of in our midfield and throughout the team for that matter. A lot of our squad frustrate the hell out of me, but I don’t think they are all shit players, they’ve shown capability in various games. What we haven’t got is a team.

So regretably, we will probably not see the best of the likes of Nagy, but if we get a system with maybe a less gifted player and a team of players who at last positively complement eachother, then I will be happy because we’ll then probably win more than lose (or at least draw a few, or maybe even compete for 90 minutes!).

The good thing about his decent performances in these Euros will hopefully mean he may get more interest and maybe generate a bit of a better fee for us when he likely moves. I’ll only wish him well, as I think he seems a decent bloke, and despite a few poor games, I think he has always put in a shift and tried to play football and I thought few of his best performances showed a class and intelligence on a par with the best players in the Championsip.

I'm not too sure I go along with the 'not suited to the championship' remark. Good players, especially those of international calibre, learn to adapt to both the league they are in and the role they're given. It can take time to reach their comfort level though, particularly for overseas players to adjust to a new culture. Its probably easier for a Bristolian to learn Hungarian that for a Hungarian to learn Bristolian (that final L is a bugger). 

I'm a big fan of Adam and there were games last season where his quality shone through but for a variety of reasons he was in and out of the side and like a lot of players he needs a run of games to show that quality on a consistent basis. The problem seems to be that unlike his national manager the coaches at City haven't worked out what his role should be. I'd like Nige to define that and build the midfield around him and HNM but that may not happen or sadly be right for him. I think he might be too good for us and I expect him to be sold after the Euros. 

1 hour ago, ray savino said:

I LIKE Nagy and think he is a good footballer. yes he has weaknesses but doesn’t all our players. Not being suited to the Championship? Not sure, I think it’s more to do with the team he’s been playing for! BCFC have had no consistent playing style or team selections for a long time. Sadly I think he is one of those players that may have been the right player at the wrong time. 

Whilst I do agree that some players suit the culture of the league they play in, ( I remember the arguments saying could a Bryan Robson/Steven Gerard play in Serie A or La Liga at it’s best, Mark Hughes couldn’t settle, etc.) but I think part of this is about the pattern/style we have (or rather haven’t) adopted. It’s about the blend/lack of in our midfield and throughout the team for that matter. A lot of our squad frustrate the hell out of me, but I don’t think they are all shit players, they’ve shown capability in various games. What we haven’t got is a team.

So regretably, we will probably not see the best of the likes of Nagy, but if we get a system with maybe a less gifted player and a team of players who at last positively complement eachother, then I will be happy because we’ll then probably win more than lose (or at least draw a few, or maybe even compete for 90 minutes!).

The good thing about his decent performances in these Euros will hopefully mean he may get more interest and maybe generate a bit of a better fee for us when he likely moves. I’ll only wish him well, as I think he seems a decent bloke, and despite a few poor games, I think he has always put in a shift and tried to play football and I thought few of his best performances showed a class and intelligence on a par with the best players in the Championsip.

Great post. For Hungary he’s had the same manager for the past three years, one who clearly trusts him, knows what his role in the side is, and sticks with him and with that role. In two years at City he’s had three managers, lost count of the different systems he’s been supposed to play in, and has had no clear role. Add to that the obvious difficulties of different countries, language and culture and it’s pretty obvious we’ve done nothing that will get the best out of him.

I think the only point on which I’d disagree is the implication that he couldn’t be part of that ‘team’ system and ethic. It’s at the heart of what Hungary as a national side are all about and I don’t see why, given the opportunity, he couldn’t be part of a team here. He just needs to know what his role in it is!

Archived