IGNORED

Adam Nagy

davidoldfart

It looks like we are all split over Nagy and as i have said previously i don't dislike him and certainly wouldn't single him out for massive criticism based on our team performances last season.

My big concern with him is that i don't see him excelling at any part of his game... he's isn't particularly creative on the ball, he struggles physically in The Champ and he doesn't score many goals, or even get in to the opposition box regularly enough. He does have high energy levels but personally for me i want more than that from a central midfielder.

I would take a 25 year old Marlon Pack back in a heartbeat as he ticked at least 2 of the boxes i mentioned above.

Its all about opinions, and he certainly isn't a bad player but i think (and Big Nige could be the same) that we should cash in.

I think he's a fine player. But he is what he is - slight, careful, energetic, keeps the ball moving.

I don't think he can be criticised for what he's obviously not. Not that many of us are doing that.

He's a much capped young player who has played at successive European Championships 5 years apart. If a middling English Championship side managed by rookie nobodies couldn't find a role for him it says more about Bristol City than it does him. I think we're in a different place with Pearson, who will have a style of play and knows what he wants to achieve - having achieved it in the past. Will Adam fit into that? The jury is clearly out but I'd like to think he gets a chance.

3 minutes ago, Red Exile said:

I don't think he can be criticised for what he's obviously not. 

That’s a good point, and there’s a link here with the other thread about Kalas: he’s not one of footballs born leaders so why do we make him captain?

Its what we’ve not done well as a club for a couple of years: set up to get the best out of players strengths, not try to get them doing something different. 

Could argue that injuries haven’t helped. But let’s hope NP will do better. 

58 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

Agree that Nagy is not the strongest in the challenge. He's very light, which is why he can run around 90 minutes plus like he does. A bit like Weimann and Pato. They all lack physical strength and are not strong tacklers. As a team we have lacked that for sure with releasing Korey and Williams being injured. Brownhill too was deceptively quite strong as well as being mobile.

agree, and I think he can be intimidated as a result…which is not what you want.

I think Nagy is better in the DM role. All his best performances for us have either been in the single or double pivot. I agree the Coventry game was a very poor performance in the box to box role, mainly up against Matty James. To be honest I can't remember Nagy ever playing well in that role for us.

agree, I like Nagy when he’s the “give and go” man in the DM (whether 1 or 2) always giving a passing option.  He went away from that as the season progressed, not wanting the ball, passing the ball to players heavily marked, rather than take responsibility for getting hit himself.  It became a bit of a hot potato.  I genuinely think he was trying to get through the games avoiding injury because of Euros.

Him and Bakinson together looked like they needed someone to instruct them, which is not good for a player with 50 international caps.

Funnily enough he didn’t look too out of place in that right sided role, but he drifted badly out of both games he started there.

Yeah the contract situation with trying to cut down on wages makes it tricky to work out what to do even if Pearson likes Nagy.

So far he hasn't been an automatic pick under Nige, or been played out of his usual position. It could be that Nige likes him but feels we don't have the right players around him. Maybe if Joe Williams had been fit then he'd see him and Nagy as a much better blend to our midfield.

yep, I’m always willing to see if different pairings make a player “click”.  As above he’s obviously got ability.

I think though it is that he just wants more physicality in the side in general and with rumoured interest abroad, it's probably a perfect opportunity for the club to sell and bring in Matty James.

Comments above ⬆️⬆️⬆️

11 minutes ago, italian dave said:

That’s a good point, and there’s a link here with the other thread about Kalas: he’s not one of footballs born leaders so why do we make him captain?

Its what we’ve not done well as a club for a couple of years: set up to get the best out of players strengths, not try to get them doing something different. 

Could argue that injuries haven’t helped. But let’s hope NP will do better. 

I agree on Kalas. It's almost as though any one of us with a big budget sat and watched the Euros and signed up players we liked without much thought as to how they'd fit into a team. It would be a bit reckless but hey - we'd have 'plenty of clubs in the bag'.

Tomas Kalas is clearly both a world class central defensive stopper and a pretty average club captain. I'd relieve him of that responsibility and let him focus on what he does best.

3 hours ago, Abraham Romanovich said:

Give me strength, not suited to championship football ?

Nagy is a class act who came to us from Hungary via Bologna then suffered a serious injury in his first season  all imports take time to settle , we have an excellent player on our hands who will become an integral part of the way we set up and play.

I like Nagy, he's up there with Massengo as being the best technical players we have imo. He hasn't got 50 caps by being crap. But I don't think he will ever settle here unfortunately and he'll probably be off this season and I think it would be to a better standard of football than the Championship.

3 hours ago, Lanterne Rouge said:

Should become but I`m not sure he will have the chance sadly.

Agreed, unfortunately.

17 minutes ago, Marco the red said:

So we need to sell him there.

Not necessarily. Someone having a best position doesn't necessarily mean they are not useful in other positions.

Nagy might be best utilised behind two in a midfield but I still think he also has played well pushed further forward and offers more there than the other options we've got in that position. So I'd keep him. 

I watched the France Hungary match from two different streams, first half American and the second French and the commentators all picked out Nagy and above all said he was calm.

He is the type of player like Skuse or ,at a higher level, Didier Deschamps, he dictates the tempo , keeps the ball moving and organises his teammates.

Nothing flash but very important to the side.

He, perhaps, lacks the agression to stamp his authority on the City side. He seems like a quiet lad who wouldn’t impose himself on the group. 

Maybe coming back from the tournament with his head held high he can kick on with us? 

2 hours ago, Red Exile said:

I agree on Kalas. It's almost as though any one of us with a big budget sat and watched the Euros and signed up players we liked without much thought as to how they'd fit into a team. It would be a bit reckless but hey - we'd have 'plenty of clubs in the bag'.

Tomas Kalas is clearly both a world class central defensive stopper and a pretty average club captain. I'd relieve him of that responsibility and let him focus on what he does best.

World class is a big shout!

3 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Comments above ⬆️⬆️⬆️

agree, I like Nagy when he’s the “give and go” man in the DM (whether 1 or 2) always giving a passing option.  He went away from that as the season progressed, not wanting the ball, passing the ball to players heavily marked, rather than take responsibility for getting hit himself.  It became a bit of a hot potato.  I genuinely think he was trying to get through the games avoiding injury because of Euros.

Did you really mean that, or was the initial 'h' a typo?

1 hour ago, AshtonGreat said:

World class is a big shout!

It is! Probably OTT of course...

...but in fairness to Tomas he is holding his own in international football, in one of the major international tournaments, played well against the World Cup finalists. If we weren't thinking of dodgy performances in a City shirt we'd rate him I think.

Really don't agree on these "Nagy doesn't suit the Championship" comments. Truth of the matter is that he's been surrounded by absolute tripe for the majority of his time here, and has never been played in a settled system. Put Nagy in Brentford or Norwich's team last season and I bet he'd have looked a worldie of a player.

Nagy and Massengo absolutely wiped the floor against Cairney and Johansen when we beat Fulham at Craven Cottage 2-1 end of 2019.

Absolutely no reason at all why we can't get him playing like that consistently under a decent manager and in a settled system. Nagy in a trio with Massengo/Williams and Matty James could be quality. 

33 minutes ago, Red Exile said:

It is! Probably OTT of course...

...but in fairness to Tomas he is holding his own in international football, in one of the major international tournaments, played well against the World Cup finalists. If we weren't thinking of dodgy performances in a City shirt we'd rate him I think.

Yes certainly

I often wish we still had the Anglo Italia Cup competition, where you could compare players from both leagues.

Would Serie B players outplay Championship players?

When people say so and so isn't suited to a Championship style, that can be said of players considered better than Championship standard.

Put quality players in with lesser quality, and more often than not, the better players look bad, because the lesser players aren't on the same wave length.

It's finding the right balance.

When having these type of players, play to their strengths...don't try to fit them in and expect them to adapt to a Championship 'style'. It doesn't work...square pegs in round holes.

I watch Nagy and HNM, both quality, but obviously being asked to fit in, rather than play to their strengths...same when we had Eliasson.

We've bought quality players, but with total disregard as to whether they are any good in a particular system. 

I'd happily have Nagy and HNM in midfield if they had players around them on the same wave length.

Wells, Famara and Semenyo might as well have been aliens to them last season...it was like oil on water.

We all saw how good HNM and Nagy were when they first signed...then we stopped them playing to their strengths and asked them to fit in...both went backwards.

2 hours ago, Kingswoodactor said:

Really don't agree on these "Nagy doesn't suit the Championship" comments. Truth of the matter is that he's been surrounded by absolute tripe for the majority of his time here, and has never been played in a settled system. Put Nagy in Brentford or Norwich's team last season and I bet he'd have looked a worldie of a player.

Nagy and Massengo absolutely wiped the floor against Cairney and Johansen when we beat Fulham at Craven Cottage 2-1 end of 2019.

Absolutely no reason at all why we can't get him playing like that consistently under a decent manager and in a settled system. Nagy in a trio with Massengo/Williams and Matty James could be quality. 

But who would be creating anything from that lot? We need a playmaker ffs...... 

4 hours ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

Did you really mean that, or was the initial 'h' a typo?

No, I meant “hit” as in getting rid of the ball rather than having to take a tackle on him.

54 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

No, I meant “hit” as in getting rid of the ball rather than having to take a tackle on him.

I feared you might have.

I am not sure what to think about Nagy.

I think he is a class player, who, undoubtedly, would be an asset to most Championship teams, especially those with a sort of ‘enforcer’ in midfield, a role for which AN is eminently unsuited.

Whilst I am loath to believe he actively shirks tackles (or receiving the ball!), I understand how some might perceive this to be so.

Hopefully, once he is back from this tournament, rested and recovered, NP will confirm to him what his role is to be and, assisted by Williams and/or James, he will be able to demonstrate the talent I am convinced he has.

15 hours ago, archie andrews said:

But who would be creating anything from that lot? We need a playmaker ffs...... 

I'm pretty sure Nagy, Joe Williams and Matty James would get a fair amount of assists if played consistently over the course of the season. This is also on the basis of playing 3 up top, so you'd be expecting most of your attacking creativity to come from either a '10' type behind a front 2 (Palmer or someone new) or two wide attackers such as Weimann and COD/Semenyo etc.

Ideally I'd love a new right sided attacker to come in who could play on the right of a front 3. We've had left footers play that role for too long now, cutting inside on their left foot. A young Albert type would be most welcome.

On 19/06/2021 at 23:44, davidoldfart said:

3rd best player rated in the game today across both teams...and he gets verbals from our own supporters.Maybe he is too good for us, or NP will utilise his skills. 

Maybe he is another Pogba who prefers to play for his country than the people who pay him

I'm surprised by how strong some of the support for Nagy is on here. He's clearly a decent player who has his strengths, but comments along the lines of "absolutely class player, far too good for us" etc really surprise me.

Don't get me wrong. I like Nagy. He's honest and hard working. He has exceptional stamina and energy. He clearly has decent technical ability. I'd like it to work out for him here, and I wouldn't be surprised if it did. I'm just not convinced that he's shown himself to be a cut above the rest (as others appear to believe).

Should decent offers come in for him, I would understand it if NP chose to accept one and direct the money towards other areas of the team e.g. a striker, a winger

Archived