IGNORED

Adam Nagy

davidoldfart

On 19/06/2021 at 23:44, davidoldfart said:

3rd best player rated in the game today across both teams...and he gets verbals from our own supporters.Maybe he is too good for us, or NP will utilise his skills. 

Or maybe he doesnt get verbals from City fans who watch him regularly (big differenece from those who come on to OTIB)

Interesting Kalas plays so well against one of the best teams in the world and if you f=read this forum you'll be tempted to believe our mgt dont buy good players, our medics dont keep players fit and ourr coaches dont improve players they choose to work with. THese Euros are a series of a few one-off gmaes and are different from what we see over a season at BCFC but clearly these two are some f the best players in Europe and our CLub have doen really well to have them ready tostart for NP in 6 weeks time

14 minutes ago, Hampshire Red said:

oh wow you really dont like the way City players have taken us to mid-top Championship positions in the past few years! THe end of last season under NP was a disaster but surely most people would take the positions of the previous few seasons?

HRs

The last couple of seasons some of the players and most of the management have stolen a wage and totally disrespected the club and it’s fans - we have been a shambles since the cup run, our last season the worst for many years, we only survived due to factors elsewhere in the league working in our favour. 
we could and should have been much better!

33 minutes ago, Hampshire Red said:

Or maybe he doesnt get verbals from City fans who watch him regularly (big differenece from those who come on to OTIB)

Interesting Kalas plays so well against one of the best teams in the world and if you f=read this forum you'll be tempted to believe our mgt dont buy good players, our medics dont keep players fit and ourr coaches dont improve players they choose to work with. THese Euros are a series of a few one-off gmaes and are different from what we see over a season at BCFC but clearly these two are some f the best players in Europe and our CLub have doen really well to have them ready tostart for NP in 6 weeks time

Well, if we do buy good players, and our medics do keep them fit, and ourr coaches do improve ourr good, fit players, what the fug happened last season then, 'amp?

Oh, and nobody gave Nadger any verbals last season, 'amp, there was not even a moan from us at games during 2021. You forgot that, didn't you?!

4 hours ago, Hampshire Red said:

oh wow you really dont like the way City players have taken us to mid-top Championship positions in the past few years! THe end of last season under NP was a disaster but surely most people would take the positions of the previous few seasons?

HRs

Yep, if I didn't feel obliged to go to AG every game to watch the bloody awful football!

Not one we've seen the best of in general. He was okay albeit in a losing cause vs Portugal and seemingly, albeit didn't see the game, very decent v France.

Is he technically sound? Very much so. Do we play him, let alone consistently, in his optimum position? Doubtful. I think he's good enough technically at this level certainly- a hypothetical CM of him, James and Wiliams- perhaps James the advanced one of the 3 could be interesting. Massengo and Bakinson also in and around competing for places.

Is he all that well suited to a 2? Not especially, or even a 2 + 1, ie Palmer being a good example. More disciplined role, again in that true 3 able to tidy up, anticipate, pass, move the ball on could be quite useful for him IMO.

As an aside, Kalas- near own goal aside vs Scotland- has also been quite sound. Vs Croatia too I took a quick look, as well as the defensive side he was strong in possession. That side of the game, don't generally think we've utilised to the best- while no Webster he's technically sound albeit in a more conservative way.

My ideal setup would have one who can pass and carry from CB and one technically good CB but with less emphasis on bringing it out, up the pitch. You need more options, more control and stability however.

4 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Not one we've seen the best of in general. He was okay albeit in a losing cause vs Portugal and seemingly, albeit didn't see the game, very decent v France.

Is he technically sound? Very much so. Do we play him, let alone consistently, in his optimum position? Doubtful. I think he's good enough technically at this level certainly- a hypothetical CM of him, James and Wiliams- perhaps James the advanced one of the 3 could be interesting. Massengo and Bakinson also in and around competing for places.

Is he all that well suited to a 2? Not especially, or even a 2 + 1, ie Palmer being a good example. More disciplined role, again in that true 3 able to tidy up, anticipate, pass, move the ball on could be quite useful for him IMO.

Always remember his debut at home to QPR.

Wonderful first half performance, great goal; and then he went off injured......?

I thought at the time, he looked fantastic; and a real asset to the team. Then was was some bizarre ankle problem (extra bone or something? Followed by other injuries, and lack of form.

His City career has just sort of spluttered through unfortunately.

I'd love to keep him to see what he can achieve given a consistent period in the team. However he is probably our most saleable asset; and i can't see us renegotiating his contract in the way we've been able to do with Weimann.

Centre midfield is an area that hopefully we are restocking on/have options. If he was a right back/Centre back it might be a different decision. 

A tough call, but one of those i think the City hierarchy will make. Who'd be a manager at the moment?

45 minutes ago, Super said:

Lets just agree that we clearly haven't seen the best of him in a City Shirt.

Precisely. The fundamental discussion is "do we keep him and use him or do we sell him?". Personally I'd rather we kept him but I think it is only worth doing so if we plan to play him consistently in a position that lets him play to his strengths. If he's not going to be in the first XI or we want him to do things that don't come naturally to him, it's probably better that we let him go to a team that will use him to his strengths and we use the funds to get the right players in. 

As many will know, I’m possibly one of Nagy’s biggest critics. So here’s my thoughts re this thread having only just managed to catch up with the France match. 
We’ve seen him in a City shirt for 2 years. 61 times. He’s impressed me about 4 times of those 61 appearances. 
Against Portugal he was average. Didn’t want the ball off of the back line, often strayed out of position, but put in the hard yards and made a few blocks and interceptions, which got noticed.

Against France, I will agree that he did have a good game, but there were still the same flaws in evidence. 

I’ve noted that Hungary use him in a very restrictive role, but also that he drops into the back line to receive the ball. Lots of Nagy’s possession is him receiving the ball in either an LCB or RCB position. He rarely gets the ball in his DM position. Whether this is purely tactics deployed by Hungary, I assume so. But it’s one of the areas where I’ve been critical is his ability / bravery to receive the ball from his defence when facing his own goal - does he have the courage and confidence to allow play from the back whilst under pressure himself. I’ve not yet seen him do this. 
All well and good dropping into the backline to get the ball, but then what’s the game plan - who is your DM looking to start to run the possession and advance into the middle third. The DM really should be taking the responsibility to be the fulcrum of the possession options to move the team forward. He’s never shown me that he can do that role. 

Out of possession, no one can fault his workrate, and against France he did well and interrupted a number of attacks. Very good. Hungary use him quite interestingly. He holds the DM position, quite deep. But with their back 3, if the opposition play goes wide and the LCB is drawn into a wide area, Nagy drops in alongside the central CB, to cover the LCB having gone wide. 
This is fine, but I noted that when he does this, he kind of confuses himself and isn’t sure whether he’s now a CB or a DM. He’s a halfway house. If he’s now acting as CB, he should be positioning himself to prevent a cross to the near post. However, he drops back in but then doesn’t go back far enough and instead is kind of ‘in between’. He’s dropped in but then is already thinking about coming back out again to his DM role. 
The France goal was a good example of this, albeit from a different starting position. Once mbappe had been forced wide, Nagy finds himself in the CB position, and he should put himself near post, level with the play, in order to cut out any low crosses. Instead, he drops back but then stops too soon, thinking too much about going back to the edge of the box instead. Not necessary. Deal with the immediate danger!  If he drops another 2 yards, level with the ball carrier, he cuts out the cross and Hungary win the game. 

As I say, they use him very interestingly, making him drop back to LCB/RCB but only doing it in half measures. Same as when in possession, he drops to LCB/RCB, but this then restricts the possession options going forward for his team. 

I also still noted a few times where my main criticism of Nagy came to the fore. This is, that his energy and enthusiasm can sometimes be counter productive as he chases toward the ball too much and leaves holes behind him. This happened a few times in the France game. A number of times he chases wide when his team already have enough players out there to deal with the current threat. By chasing out there, sometimes only 5 yards too much, he leaves a gap in the middle for the opposition to exploit. He just needs to stop chasing too much and hold his area. It’s almost like he’s trying to do his wingers jobs as well as his own - hold hold hold, don’t go chasing the ball. 

It’s a real ying-yang of his. He’s got the energy and desire to chase the ball all day long, but this often sees him do ‘too much’ running. As I’ve pointed out before - this isn’t just my critique of him. His first interview when he arrived here, he highlighted this himself as his biggest weakness. He wasn’t wrong. 

He’s had 2 decent games against very good opposition. So you have to say well done to him for that. But I still witnessed many of the same flaws I’ve seen in his game here over 2 years, ie not courageous enough in possession and too energetic for his own good leaving holes for exploitation. 

Hope he does well tonight. 

Adam Nagy is one of our best players,.....................when he wants to be.

He has certainly looked quality playing for Hungary but doesn't seem to have quite the same interest in the day job unless the Hungarian team selectors are watching him.  

From memory, our last Hungarian international Vilmos Sebok suffered from the same malaise playing bread-and-butter football.

2 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

I don't know how a player who runs as much as Nagy does for City can be accused of lacking effort

We need a tough guy in the centre of our midfield Jon, and whilst he may cover a lot of ground, his commitment in the challenge is often lacking.  He also generally plays the easy pass rather than looking up and playing a through ball.

I do like him though when he is giving 100%

I’ve noted that Hungary use him in a very restrictive role, but also that he drops into the back line to receive the ball. Lots of Nagy’s possession is him receiving the ball in either an LCB or RCB position. He rarely gets the ball in his DM position. Whether this is purely tactics deployed by Hungary, I assume so. But it’s one of the areas where I’ve been critical is his ability / bravery to receive the ball from his defence when facing his own goal - does he have the courage and confidence to allow play from the back whilst under pressure himself. I’ve not yet seen him do this. 
All well and good dropping into the backline to get the ball, but then what’s the game plan - who is your DM looking to start to run the possession and advance into the middle third. The DM really should be taking the responsibility to be the fulcrum of the possession options to move the team forward. He’s never shown me that he can do that role. 

@Harry I thought for a minute you were describing Declan Rice! ⬆️⬆️⬆️

35 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

I don't know how a player who runs as much as Nagy does for City can be accused of lacking effort

⬇️⬇️⬇️

30 minutes ago, wendyredredrobin said:

We need a tough guy in the centre of our midfield Jon, and whilst he may cover a lot of ground, his commitment in the challenge is often lacking.  He also generally plays the easy pass rather than looking up and playing a through ball.

I do like him though when he is giving 100%

Yep, those are the things I see most games from him.

Hardly ever impacts the games I have watched him play for either club or country.

Sell him if we can and get someone in you can say ‘do you remember when he....’ 

We have had too many players that don’t impact games in the last 2 year.

i would much rather have a smaller squad with better players.

Also think he better suited to football on the continent with a slower build up  and les physical. 

Over rated for me

1 minute ago, Better Red said:

Hardly ever impacts the games I have watched him play for either club or country.

Sell him if we can and get someone in you can say ‘do you remember when he....’ 

We have had too many players that don’t impact games in the last 2 year.

i would much rather have a smaller squad with better players.

Also think he better suited to football on the continent with a slower build up  and les physical. 

Over rated for me

Doesn't impact the game?   Did you see France v Hungary game?  What do you expect him to do? Go on a solo run and put one in the top corner?................Have you ever played football? ?;

Yes watched every game of the Euros

Yes watched every game last  season City 

Yes played the game

Yes don’t think him impacts the game

What does he exactly do to impact games? Short pass left, short pass left, short pass back.

Gets behind the ball a lot and tracks back I will give him that but impacts the game not for me.

Call a few things out that you can recall - I bet it’s hard that’s because he does not really impact games....

7 minutes ago, maxjak said:

Doesn't impact the game?   Did you see France v Hungary game?  What do you expect him to do? Go on a solo run and put one in the top corner?................Have you ever played football? ?;

Easy peasy @maxjak 

I scored 9 own goals for Leighterton one season back in the 70's.  Didn't help that our keeper Tommy Scrivens was a bit of a ventriloquist.  The direction that he was calling for a back pass from was nowhere near where he was bloody stood!

25 minutes ago, And Its Smith said:

He impacts the game if you notice him impacting the game. One of those who does a lot of his good work off the ball so goes unnoticed 

And post Xmas, I saw him doing less and less / less than normal off the ball from what he’d done previously.  That was frustrating, and I question his commitment because of it.  It almost felt like he was saving himself for the Euros.  I’m not saying every game, and not all game either, but more than enough for me to pick up on it.

The amount of tackles he pulled out of, dangled a leg at, or slowed his press to avoid having to make a tackle was noticeable too.  That frustrated me too.

I think he’s a capable footballer, but when playing like above in several games, his worth to the team is diminished.

If he has a good euros, which currently he is, it will only help us realise better value from him in a sale.

in all honesty, I think he is one to move on to generate funds as in his position, we have James, massengo, Williams, bakinson, possibly king

57 minutes ago, And Its Smith said:

He impacts the game if you notice him impacting the game. One of those who does a lot of his good work off the ball so goes unnoticed 

Totally agree mate, not a fancy footballer but does a lot of the ugly unnoticed stuff which is generally less ‘popular’ and doesn’t generate as much positive data. 

I find it odd how some people go out of their way to find ways to criticise him yet average players such as Morrell / Walsh are lauded as the next best thing with much less analysis on their failings.

4 minutes ago, Loosey Boy said:

Playing well again tonight - trying to play himself into a big move abroad ?‍♂️

I have watched most of the first half. I saw Nagy make a nice pass and that is it. No tackling whatsoever and rarely on the ball. How is he playing well. 

32 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

And post Xmas, I saw him doing less and less / less than normal off the ball from what he’d done previously.  That was frustrating, and I question his commitment because of it.  It almost felt like he was saving himself for the Euros.  I’m not saying every game, and not all game either, but more than enough for me to pick up on it.

The amount of tackles he pulled out of, dangled a leg at, or slowed his press to avoid having to make a tackle was noticeable too.  That frustrated me too.

I think he’s a capable footballer, but when playing like above in several games, his worth to the team is diminished.

Im not sure I’ve ever seen him crunch in to any / many tackles; that’s not his game.
He’s a pest, he covers lots of ground, he harries the opposition, he tracks back. 
He came back in to the team after the international break last season and played a number of games in quick succession after being out the team for a while, his return coincided with wins at Mboro and Swansea and somewhere else I think. His work rate and sometimes over running will naturally mean he tires more quickly that others but i have never questioned his commitment. I’d rather him than someone who gives 70% and trots around for the whole game / season. 

Archived