IGNORED

Adam Nagy

davidoldfart

12 minutes ago, Redrascal2 said:

I have watched most of the first half. I saw Nagy make a nice pass and that is it. No tackling whatsoever and rarely on the ball. How is he playing well. 

**** me, the other 10 must be pretty good then, they’re beating Germany for goodness sake.

10 minutes ago, Globe Trotter said:

Im not sure I’ve ever seen him crunch in to any / many tackles; that’s not his game.
He’s a pest, he covers lots of ground, he harries the opposition, he tracks back. 
He came back in to the team after the international break last season and played a number of games in quick succession after being out the team for a while, his return coincided with wins at Mboro and Swansea and somewhere else I think. His work rate and sometimes over running will naturally mean he tires more quickly that others but i have never questioned his commitment. I’d rather him than someone who gives 70% and trots around for the whole game / season. 

He’s the king of the beep test!!

I don’t disagree with much of what you say….you’ve described Nagy’s game.  When he doesn’t do those key things, which happened too often for my liking in the second half of the season, he’s doesn’t contribute enough.

When you’re scrapping for points / results, like we were, I think it’s fine to question his value / place in the team.

I hope we find a role that both motivates him and brings out the best in him.  With Matty James, Joe Williams, Tyreeq Bakinson and Han-Noah Massengo competing for slots, he’s gonna need to bring his international form back with him to BS3.  I guess much might be dependent on system employed too.

Just now, Marco the red said:

Not convinced Bakinson is a Pearson player. With a midfield of James and Williams, Tyreeq will stick out like a sore thumb due to limited work rate etc. Pearson is going to want a side of grafters which in my honest opinion doesn't bode well for Bakinson and Palmer, Massengo and Nagy on the other hand.

Tyreeq has a bit of work to do this summer.  One of the players who needs to seriously improve his fitness.  Will get minutes though.

52 minutes ago, Redrascal2 said:

I have watched most of the first half. I saw Nagy make a nice pass and that is it. No tackling whatsoever and rarely on the ball. How is he playing well. 

Specsavers tomorrow then!

?

So, Nagy had 85 minutes of pretty much a 10/10 DM performance. 
The things I’ve criticised him for, he did none of. He held his position well, blocked everything, intercepted everything, cut passing lanes etc etc. 
As a DM, it was near perfect. 

Then……the one and only time he allowed himself to get dragged out of position, bang, goal. 

He found himself chasing out to help his wing back, who already had help from others. No need. But I can fully understand why he did. But this left a massive hole where he’d been protecting superbly all game. 

One error. Game over. Home time. Shame. He’d done brilliantly til that point. But that is his main weakness (as he himself has acknowledged). 

0E26283B-358A-4DFA-A437-E8A62E808127.jpeg

2 minutes ago, Harry said:

The things I’ve criticised him for, he did none of. He held his position well, blocked everything, intercepted everything, cut passing lanes etc etc. 

Then……the one and only time he allowed himself to get dragged out of position, bang, goal. 

He found himself chasing out to help his wing back, who already had help from others. No need. But I can fully understand why he did. But this left a massive hole where he’d been protecting superbly all game. 

One error. Game over. Home time. 

Harsh.

11 minutes ago, Harry said:

One error. Game over. Home time. Shame. He’d done brilliantly til that point. But that is his main weakness (as he himself has acknowledged). 

Obviously brutal at international level but imagine if he produced that for us at the level we’re at 7/8 games out of 10?

He’d end up in Championship team of the year.

Brilliant player of the ball....

Goes unnoticed....

Does the work you don’t see...

As I said does not impact the game

Does he create -no

Does he carry the team forward - no

Does he get wide and cross - no 

Does he get stuck in - no

Does he break beyond the forward  -no

Does he score - no

Does he impact the game - no

Team was full off them last year get a decent price and sell

Been a big fan of Nagy's since he signed pretty much, is he better than all Matty James, HNM, Joe Williams - probably just. Considerably better - no. In a large rebuilding job funds will be key, as we seem to lack a bit, accepting a £5m+ offer would be a smart move from the club with money for Yates and a quality right back. Would be sad to see him go but from a business perspective it makes sense.

53 minutes ago, Harry said:

Not at all. He had a 10/10 game. But got dragged out of his position once. And it so happened that was the crucial defining moment. 

It’s a fair point Harry. At that level you get punished for one mistake. Just like strikers who only get one chance at that level and have to put away 1 out of 1 - not 1 out of 5 that they can get away with in domestic games.

But I was hugely impressed with how well organised the Hungarian defence and midfield were and what a great shape they kept for 89 minutes. They made it so hard for the Germans to make those telling passes into space. 

A genuine 3 suits him best, shame about the late goal- possibly wants to do a little too much on occasion. Very good game, did well vs France too. Vs Portugal, not so much but he had some positives too.

Unsure I'd be rushing to sell him, as others mentioned was good at Middlesbrough and Swansea and in latter part of season on the right, he got IIRC a goal and an assist v Luton and an assist v Wycombe- there is a decent player in there IMO.

1 hour ago, Harry said:

Not sure the error is that clear cut actually. I think he tracks the runner from midfield initially (25) and ends up there rather than going there to stop the cross/chase the ball.

By the time the strike for the goal occurs, there are plenty of bodies in the space you’ve highlighted. 

Given the performances of Kalas and Nagy at this level, I’m not sure whether to be happy or frustrated!! 

159D343C-F3EC-4559-AF54-AB81550440F9.jpeg

36 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

Like with most goals a few can be blamed imo.

The Hungarian 15 was close to Moller, but instead of picking up Moller, the Hungarian 15 decided to go out to help the 2 on 2 out wide. 

So then Moller is closest to Nagy, Moller makes a run which Nagy was right to go with. As Nagy wasn't to know the Hungarian 15 would get a toe to the attempted through ball cutting out Moller being played in that space which would have left Moller with one defender and the goalie to beat. If Nagy doesn't go with Moller and that pass is made then it looks an awful error on Nagy. He'd have let a player run free to pick up a pass and quite possibly score.

Also the 15 after getting a toe to that pass, he then switched off, and walked back, and was late reacting to Werner's movement and the possibility of Germany cutting it back from the byline.

Nagy couldn't quite get to the pass across to Werner but had the Hungarian number 15 been a bit more aware then he might have been better positioned to cut out the pass.

But also the Hungarian centre forward was stood watching it all happen. And he could have come back to the edge of the box earlier, which he did eventually as the ball had arrived. But by that point it was all a bit chaotic in the box.

So I think Nagy made the right decision as he had to go with Moller who they were trying to play in. No one else was with Moller.

Once he knew Moller was not in on goal he was already then out there near the ball. You have to assume one of your teammates have filled in for you in that situation. Would look a bit unusual if he turned around and ran back to the centre of the edge of the box when he was so close to the ball carrier.

32 minutes ago, Kibs said:

Not sure the error is that clear cut actually. I think he tracks the runner from midfield initially (25) and ends up there rather than going there to stop the cross/chase the ball.

By the time the strike for the goal occurs, there are plenty of bodies in the space you’ve highlighted. 

Given the performances of Kalas and Nagy at this level, I’m not sure whether to be happy or frustrated!! 

159D343C-F3EC-4559-AF54-AB81550440F9.jpeg

I don’t disagree that the run from Muller has to be covered. As I said in my initial analysis, I can understand why he tracked that run. 
But…., it’s a game of split second decisions and good teams and good players are purposely trying to move opposition players around to create space. 
Muller is a super-intelligent player. He knew exactly what he was doing with that run. Watch him just before making it, he’s looked and sees exactly the space he’ll be creating. 
Once the ball doesn’t go to Muller, that’s the split second decision that Nagy has to take to then re-shape. 

See below. 
Pic 1 is where Nagy must track the run. Good. Job done. That was the immediate danger. 
Pic 2 is where he then has to make that split second decision to leave Muller and drop back out 3-4 yards. The Germans are all covered and paired up. The immediate danger now is the space he’s just had to vacate by tracking the intelligent Muller. 
Pic 3 is the result - 3 Hungarian players all in a row in their own byline. Had he stopped his run and gone 4 yards back toward the penalty spot rather than 4 yards toward the byline, he cuts out the cross. Muller had managed to move 5 yards toward the touchline, Nagy thus had plenty of time to move 5 yards toward the penalty spot. 

I appreciate this seems very picky. But these are the moments that matter, and that intelligent players try to create. Miller’s run took Nagy out of the danger area, but Nagy had to then retreat again as soon as Muller didn’t receive the ball. Crucial moment. 

As I say, I appreciate this looks harsh, but it’s a great example of exactly what I’ve been saying about him. I’ve always said he simply chases too much and leaves holes. This is exactly the case here. 

4D0EEB6D-1B60-4956-A3DA-BB9C1FF1CA6B.jpeg

E75FD0B0-9AAD-4E06-AA00-04B1B6ACFD72.jpeg

7A0039E9-A9CB-4106-B4A9-196DEE378AD2.jpeg

5 hours ago, Harry said:

I don’t disagree that the run from Muller has to be covered. As I said in my initial analysis, I can understand why he tracked that run. 
But…., it’s a game of split second decisions and good teams and good players are purposely trying to move opposition players around to create space. 
Muller is a super-intelligent player. He knew exactly what he was doing with that run. Watch him just before making it, he’s looked and sees exactly the space he’ll be creating. 
Once the ball doesn’t go to Muller, that’s the split second decision that Nagy has to take to then re-shape. 

See below. 
Pic 1 is where Nagy must track the run. Good. Job done. That was the immediate danger. 
Pic 2 is where he then has to make that split second decision to leave Muller and drop back out 3-4 yards. The Germans are all covered and paired up. The immediate danger now is the space he’s just had to vacate by tracking the intelligent Muller. 
Pic 3 is the result - 3 Hungarian players all in a row in their own byline. Had he stopped his run and gone 4 yards back toward the penalty spot rather than 4 yards toward the byline, he cuts out the cross. Muller had managed to move 5 yards toward the touchline, Nagy thus had plenty of time to move 5 yards toward the penalty spot. 

I appreciate this seems very picky. But these are the moments that matter, and that intelligent players try to create. Miller’s run took Nagy out of the danger area, but Nagy had to then retreat again as soon as Muller didn’t receive the ball. Crucial moment. 

As I say, I appreciate this looks harsh, but it’s a great example of exactly what I’ve been saying about him. I’ve always said he simply chases too much and leaves holes. This is exactly the case here. 

4D0EEB6D-1B60-4956-A3DA-BB9C1FF1CA6B.jpeg

E75FD0B0-9AAD-4E06-AA00-04B1B6ACFD72.jpeg

7A0039E9-A9CB-4106-B4A9-196DEE378AD2.jpeg

We've also got to remember our place in the food chain haven't we? If Nagy was an elite 'Kante' like DM with no mistakes/ weaknesses in him he would be playing for a similarly elite team. By last season's league tables we were what the 38th best team in the country? Even if we're a play off chasing side we'd be around 26th. 

This tournament for me has proven that in Nagy there is a player who could potentially excel at our level if played in the right system. Is he flawless? Absolutely not, but if he was he'd already be playing week in week out in the prem for a champions league chasing side.

9 hours ago, Harry said:

Not at all. He had a 10/10 game. But got dragged out of his position once. And it so happened that was the crucial defining moment. 

To be fair thats against world class players who play for some of the best clubs on the planet. To go toe to toe with them and get a 10/10 performance isn't too shabby.

13 minutes ago, RalphMilnesLeftFoot said:

Only here do I ever see so much negative criticism. 

It's maddening. Player who plays for us has a decent Euros, unusual for us to have players at the Euros in the main, and what do we do? find fault, call him rubbish and suggest selling him. 

As I mentioned, madness. 

Exactly this mate. 

I'm stunned, and quite frankly a little ashamed of some our fans. We've had more mentions in this tournament than any other international competition that I can remember, we should be immensely proud to have not just one but 2 players who play for us, representing their country at the absolute top level, and put in fantastic performances. 

@Harry I think you're a great poster, but come on, they've been running around, putting in incredible amounts of energy and effort, against the best players in the world. Germany are FULL of superstars. Yet our Adam was playing, against them, and playing brilliantly.

Regardless of if there was anyone at fault for the goal or not, there isn't a single player on that pitch that didn't make 1 mistake during the game, they're all human. The elite have less mistakes in them, but they all still make them.

Lets not criticise for the sake of it, we should be super proud and praising of our players. Highlighting 1 error, just brings negativity in which isnt necessary imo. 

As Ralph said, only on here could you expect criticism for one of our players playing against the world's very best. 

Archived