IGNORED

Adam Nagy

davidoldfart

3 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Yeah, but Phillips does it at pace and intensity….and with purpose, I.e gets in your face, physically intimidates.  Adam runs around a bit more headless, that’s the point I’m trying to make.  For a player who plays with much more positional discipline for Hungary, I’m amazed at some of the running he does for us because he gets attracted to the ball.  It’s very disappointing to see….and even more difficult for teammates to play alongside.

Lets hope we can find a set-up that he can perform in.

You can say that about half the squad in fairness, the fact he's disciplined for Hungary but not for City suggests (without trying to make excuses or blame anyone in particular) that it's more likely to be a tactics/coaching issue rather than one from the player. Surely he doesn't forget his role and responsibilities in Bristol but remember them when abroad? That's not me saying it isn't an issue, it certainly has been, but there was clear improvement on it at the back end of last season.

1 hour ago, JonDolman said:

I don't think Nagy would have had too many problems in a team managed by someone like Bielsa.

If he's pressing someone who has the ball further up the pitch, it's often because someone else isn't.

1 hour ago, Davefevs said:

He’s not physical enough for Bielsa.  Not only do his players run and run, they hit you, they leave something on you.  They make you think you’re gonna get whacked the next time you receive the ball.  It’s a different type of intensity altogether.

That’s too simplistic Jon.  If you imagine two 442s against each other, or two 433s against each other, you can see where a spare man comes from.  Teams don’t go man-4-man….they always like a spare defender.  As the ball moves around the pitch, that spare player may change.  

therefore there’s football intelligence that says why run away from the man you’re marking who’s a bigger threat to our goal to go and engage someone further down the pitch, who’s less of a danger.  That’s the flaw.  Nagy rarely runs around headlessly for Hungary.  Invariably the opposition will have a spare man further down the field (away from our goal) because….as per para above….we invariably have a spare man in one of or CBs or FBs (depending on how many they play up front).  It’s why our strikers try to split the CBs or try to split the CB and RB for example.  If our two strikers can somehow (it’s not easy) occupy / split 4 opposition defenders, then that’s great but invariably it takes a 3rd player from us to split 4….and good teams with good movement and passing are then able to play through pressing.  There’s a time for Nagy to move out of position, and there’s a time when he should stay where he is, attempting to mark his opponent and screen his CBs.

This goes with the doe's Adam fit with City/Championship football thoughts..

Maybe he was being coached and told to do this under the previous coaching set up's, a world away from what Hungary ask him to do.

Lets see what he does now moving forward under NP, Dave Rennie said in his interview today that its now over to the coaching team to implement the style of football needed for the season, maybe we will see a different Adam when and if needed in the team..

Archived